May 10 Power Rankings

Power rankings are posted here using the Power Ranking Editor
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

May 10 Power Rankings

Post by Nationals »

This was my first stab at these this year...nothing fancy here, I'm afraid; I didn't think y'all would appreciate me comparing each team to a different sophist from 5th Century Greece.

And away we go...

1. Toronto Blue Jays ñ Previous: 5
Now that was a hot streak (9-1) that put the Blue Jays in a formidable position in the AL Beast...for the time being.

2. Cincinnati Reds ñ Previous: 2
The Big Red Machine redux? Nate's High-octane offense would cost him big time at the pumps nowadays--will the ayment come through the customary Nate luck? At any rate, he's an IBC-best 15-5 away from home.

3. Baltimore Orioles ñ Previous: 3
The dark horse of the Beast continues to surprise people--they could very well be for real.

4. Minnesota Twins ñ Previous: 14
The pitching is finally clicking, as only one AL team has allowed less runs.

5. St. Louis Cardinals ñ Previous: 6
The defending champs would be in a good position in any other NL division, but Nate has had his way thus far...

6. Kansas City Royals ñ Previous: 14
Chipper Jones power! Goodness, the last old fogey we saw hit like he has was our favorite roider, Mr. Bonds. Now I'm not going to point fingers but, hmmm...

7. Oakland Athletics ñ Previous: 21
Jake's finally begun to assert himself in a surprisingly tight division with his team that's been riding its pitching/defense to the lead

8. New York Yankees ñ Previous: 1
Oh how the mighty have fallen. JB might have the best team in the league, talent-wise, but it has severely underperformed in the last few weeks.

9. Florida Marlins ñ Previous: 13
These guys are the real thing in a close-packed NL East battle. Vacek must be thanking Zeus for the chance to move south.

10. San Francisco Giants ñ Previous: 11
One of the more inept offensive squads, Nils' boy have gotten it done with the glove, leading the IBC in fielding.

11. Pittsburgh Pirates ñ Previous: 19
Could this be the year that JP finally stops (re)building? Too bad he's in the tough NL Central, as his Lincecum-led staff is among the best in the business.

12. San Diego Padres ñ Previous: 20
At a +18 run differential, the Padres have been underperforming; expect that to change.

13. New York Mets ñ Previous: 18
Another surprise squad of 2008, the unheralded Mets sit just half a game out of first in the NL East

14. Detroit Tigers ñ Previous: 9
They will bring the pain with the long bomb..and then give it back because of a M*A*S*H unit pitching squad

15. Washington Nationals ñ Previous: 24
Pitching rules the day, and Ken's squad has it in spades, leading the IBC by .10 in the ERA battle. Can they sustain?

16. Chicago Cubs ñ Previous: 22
Sorry Gabe, I'm using capitalization here. In any other NL division, the 2006 champs would be a threat, but not in the NL Central.

17. Philadelphia Phillies ñ Previous: 7
I have no idea how they are 2 games above .500 when being outscored by 41 ones. No Idea.

18. Seattle Mariners ñ Previous: 10
The M's picked a bad time to skid, as they've taken a tumble in the rankings. Still, in the AL West, things are still primed for a comeback--if they can keep up the pitching that they've shown.

19. Arizona Diamondbacks ñ Previous: 15
If the Dbacks have any chances of making the playoffs this year, they've got to button down that pitching staff--allowing 221 runs (among the league worse) does not bring portents of good fortune

20. Boston Red Sox ñ Previous: 8
Bren comes back and they Red Sox go back to under performing. Retire again! 10.5 games out is not insurmountable at this point in the season, but it'll be damn hard in the AL Beast--especially sans Pat Neshek.

21. Cleveland Indians ñ Previous: 12
After sweeping the Yankees, the poor Indians ran into the buzzsaw known as Toronto.

22. Colorado Rockies ñ Previous: 25
For the life of me, I cannot figure out quite what John's plan in the mile-high air is--he's playing for this year, but it might be better-advised to play for next. Though it is the NL West...

23. Los Angeles Dodgers ñ Previous: 17
The tailspin continues. The worst offense ( .240/.308/.369) in the league need help, STAT.

24. Milwaukee Brewers ñ Previous: 26
As the team with the second-worst offense AND pitching, I have no idea how the Brew Crew is only 6 games under .500.

25. Atlanta Braves ñ Previous: 16
The preseason #4 has continued to fall, thanks to a DL-prone pitching staff and no Hiram Bocachica

26. Anaheim Angels ñ Previous: 29
They are not as bad as their 14-24 record suggests...and they're only 6 games out of first in the AL West. Though I wouldn't put any money on their chances. If I had money to bet, at any rate.

27. Texas Rangers ñ Previous: 27
Now these guys are probably worse than their 15-3 record. Sorry.

28. Chicago White Sox ñ Previous: 23
Middle-of-the-pack on the mound and at the plate, the team is cursed to the cellar of the AL Central.

29. Houston Astros ñ Previous: 28
When the Astros play the Rays in June, JP had better put that as a marquee matchup. The first pick of the draft is at stake!

30. Tampa Bay Rays ñ Previous: 30
Thanks for coming, boys, but no improvement will happen until y'all's pitchers stop tossing batting practice (5.47 ERA)

Comment away!
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Finally some respect
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

24. Milwaukee Brewers ñ Previous: 26
As the team with the second-worst offense AND pitching, I have no idea how the Brew Crew is only 6 games under .500.
Great Coaching!
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Well done by the way. Good to see we are getting these out on a somewhat regular basis. Adds something that has been lacking to the league in the past few years.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Andrew I must say my favorite power rankings of all time were yours that compared everyone to a different Roman emperor. At the AS Break me and JP will be doing a power rankings extravaganza. Okay well don't get your hopes up that much but they'll be good. And it won't be a wrestling gimmick!
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Pirates wrote:Finally some respect
Until you trade half of your team.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Cardinals wrote:Andrew I must say my favorite power rankings of all time were yours that compared everyone to a different Roman emperor. At the AS Break me and JP will be doing a power rankings extravaganza. Okay well don't get your hopes up that much but they'll be good. And it won't be a wrestling gimmick!
Later this season I'll add a gimmick or two. And praise be to Allah that there won't be a wrestling theme!
Astros

Post by Astros »

Well you just praised Allah, I think I just heard Real American come over the loudspeakers and Hulk Hogan's coming out to beat whatever evil foreigner is praising Allah
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Re: May 10 Power Rankings

Post by Mets »

Twins wrote: 22. Colorado Rockies ñ Previous: 25
For the life of me, I cannot figure out quite what John's plan in the mile-high air is--he's playing for this year, but it might be better-advised to play for next. Though it is the NL West...
Luckily I think I've gotten most of my underachieving out of the way now...look out NL West.

Actually, I don't do anything to my team that can't be reversed in July...You won't see this cat playing for next year in early May..no way jose.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Re: May 10 Power Rankings

Post by Dodgers »

Twins wrote: 23. Los Angeles Dodgers ñ Previous: 17
The tailspin continues. The worst offense ( .240/.308/.369) in the league need help, STAT.
Yea my offense sucks, but who could have foreseen Torii hitting the Mendoza Line with a 305 projection? Melky has been equally as bad. I just need my boys to come around and stop getting hurt.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

17. Philadelphia Phillies ñ Previous: 7
I have no idea how they are 2 games above .500 when being outscored by 41 ones. No Idea.

thats because ive been beaten by over ten runs like 3 or 4 times, other than that its always close.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Twins wrote:
Cardinals wrote:Andrew I must say my favorite power rankings of all time were yours that compared everyone to a different Roman emperor. At the AS Break me and JP will be doing a power rankings extravaganza. Okay well don't get your hopes up that much but they'll be good. And it won't be a wrestling gimmick!
Later this season I'll add a gimmick or two. And praise be to Allah that there won't be a wrestling theme!
That was damn funny.
You do know I dealt off Neshek right? About a two days before he went down for the season. Very fortunate timing on my part. Granted, now I need a 3b again...
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

RedSox wrote:
Twins wrote:
That was damn funny.
You do know I dealt off Neshek right? About a two days before he went down for the season. Very fortunate timing on my part. Granted, now I need a 3b again...
Nope, I missed that one. End-of-the-semester and all that
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

I know how it goes.... 3 weeks of graduate school left!
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Twins wrote:
RedSox wrote:
Twins wrote: Later this season I'll add a gimmick or two. And praise be to Allah that there won't be a wrestling theme!
That was damn funny.
Nope, I missed that one. End-of-the-semester and all that
Word to that.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

Oh you go to community college. That don't even count
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Cardinals wrote:Oh you go to community college. That don't even count
More work than I hard at U-Hart by a large margin.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

Woohoo, For the first time in my seven years in this league - best record and atop the power rankings.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I appreciate the work Andrew, I was saving this for when I actually had some time to read it. Can you at least pick a 5th Century Greek Sophist for me? I definitely agree with Aaron that the Roman Emperor one you did was the best power rankings ever.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Athletics wrote:I appreciate the work Andrew, I was saving this for when I actually had some time to read it. Can you at least pick a 5th Century Greek Sophist for me? I definitely agree with Aaron that the Roman Emperor one you did was the best power rankings ever.
Just for you, I'll assess your team as Thrasymachus.

From Plato's Republic 338C: 338c: Ἄκουε δή, ἦ δ᾽ ὅς. φημὶ γὰρ ἐγὼ εἶναι τὸ δίκαιον οὐκ ἄλλο τι ἢ τὸ τοῦ κρείττονος συμφέρον.
Listen up--I say that justice is nothing other than the advantage of the stronger.

I'll whip up something interesting later this season
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Today's my last day with internet access until next week.

If someone wants to attempt the power rankings this weekend, get with me or Shawn to get the link to edit them.

If not, I'll do them Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Giants

Post by Giants »

I'll do it again. If you can pm me the link that would be sweet I don't think I have it anymore.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Are you gonna have a theme? :)
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Giants

Post by Giants »

Of course, in light of my recent trade I have an absolutely kickass theme.

Return to “Power Rankings”