March 29 Power Rankings

Power rankings are posted here using the Power Ranking Editor
Mets
Name: John Anderson

March 29 Power Rankings

Post by Mets »

Contributors: Rockies

Opening Day...30 teams still in the race.

Rankings
1. Cardinals - The Champs get the benefit of the doubt. They'll host the Rockies while they receive their rings & while their pitching is good enough to contend again, their hitters & a shaky pen will decide how far they go in a tough NL Central.

2. Yankees - 1000 runs teams don't come around every day. This team looks like it has a legit shot, but the kicker is that they should be around a +300 run differntial while doing it.

3. Reds - Possibly the best all-around team in the NL, with a rotation that can compete with any team. Offense will hit, but playing Michael Young at 2B & Brad Hawpe at 1B without defensive ratings could hurt more than Nate thinks.

4. RedSox - Offense will hit enough & if Carpenter makes it back, the pitching is good enough to make them an elite team. Would still like to see another strong pen arm for added depth.

5. Marlins - Hands down best offense in the NL, and a top line-up in the IBC. The balance through out the offense is what wins championships, combining speed with power & OBP (every starter is .350 or above). Great rotation 1-4, with a young guns like Gio & Adam Miller locking down the 5th spot. While the pen may be an adventure at times, and the defense has holes, the Marlins will be the team nobody wants to play come October.

6. Royals - No real weakness...Benefactor of some very favorable projections, which solved some pen question marks.

7. Dodgers - Early front-runners to repeat in the NL West. The rotation is solid and the pen has the potential to be shut-down. The returns of Nick Johnson & Liriano are what puts this team over the top in the division, but the offense is thin, which could hurt more than it helps in a pitchers park.

8. Padres - Great 1-2 punch with CC & Hamels, along with a pontent line up. This team has some depth issues, but if they can hit at Petco, they have a shot, if they don't, it may be time to rethink the roster.

9. Braves - Braves have the offense to carry them, but a combined 50 starts from Pedro & El Duque will be the difference between 1st and 2nd place in the NL East.

10. Tigers - Pretty much got a best case scenario with projections on the rotation (minus Cliff Lee), but is still thin. The pen is shaky at best. The offense will be mean, and wreck opponents ERA's across the board.

11. BlueJays - Without Bonds, the Jays will need Smoltz to make 28 starts for them to have any chance.

12. Twins - Arms will keep them close, but they lack the fire power on offense may not keep them competitive in September.

13. Rockies - This teams offense benefited from surprisingly good offensive projections, and could score 850 runs this year. Whether they give up 750, 800 or 850 will determine their season. 3/5 of the rotation starting on the DL is not a good start.

14. Pirates - What looked like it might have been one of the top pitching staffs in the IBC a couple of weeks ago, has quickly become a two trick pony with Escobar going down (going down - haha) and Perez getting sodomized on his projection (which should still SIM well at PNC Park). The pen may be unspectacular, but solid enough to close out games. The offense is thin, and could have trouble scoring runs this season. The only feared bat in the line -up is Rollins.

15. Nationals - This is one of those sneaky teams that no one pays attention to, but winds up winning 85 games, and spoils some pennant hopes in September. The line up is built well for the SIM universe, and the pitching staff is well rounded and built to eat innings. While the bullpen is serviceable, the decision to trade Ryan could hurt the most. Overall, a team that puts a competitive unit on the field, but doesn't have much depth, and can't afford any injuries.

16. WhiteSox - Probably 2 cards short of a full deck, the pitching is good enough to keep the team in games, and the offense will score some runs, but low OBP combined with high K rates are usually a deadly combination. Look for #3 starters to look like aces on some nights against this line up.

17. Athletics - Average pitching staff behind Haren, and an aging line-up. They'll hit lots of long balls, and they'll hang around the top in a division where .500 may take the pennant.

18. Mariners - Holding out hope for D-Train burned the M's...and Virgil Vazquez didn't quite get the love that some of his peers got from DMB. An average pen, combined with an average offense means this team has little room for error.

19. Indians - A very "mature" team, the Tribe will have to pray that no one gets disabled if they want to stay alive.

20. DBacks - All the pieces are there for this team to sniff .500 in 2008, and flat our dominate in 2009. NL West teams better go for it now, because they might not have a chance next season.

21. Orioles - Baltimore figures they can't compete in a tough AL East, so they are trying to build a core that will win in 2009-2010. Depending on how of their pitching staff they continue to shop, this could still be a team that sniffs .500 with a few breaks.

22. Phillies - The rotation is decent, but the offense has lots of holes, including the favortism to Phillies players.

23. Giants - Giants get overlooked in the NL, but have as good of a rotation as anyone in the league....the fact that Kotchman's .286 projected AVG leads the team is probably why they aren't being picked to win the West.

24. Astros - Playing for 2009...don't be surprised to see this team play spoiler in the NL Central when it's all said and done.

25. Rangers - The team can put up some runs, but so will every team that plays them.

26. Cubs - For a team that sold it's soul to the devil for a championship, the devil is beginning to collect. While the Cubs have half-heartedly attempted to infuse youth into their team, they remain a franchise without a clear direction, and the lack of work horses on the staff will doom them. That being said, the infield looks solid offensively, and there should be quite a few long balls flying in Chicago's north side stadium.

27. DevilRays - Some exciting young pitchers to watch, but Tampa got a case of "guys who should have gotten a projection, but didn't". Another year of develoment in Tampa.

28. Mets - The Mets have been consistent with their plan to rebuild from the bottom up, unfortunately, it's gonna be hard for this team to break .500, and they might be looking at a top 5 draft pick, which might not be a bad thing for this squad.

29. Brewers - Justin Germano is the teams ace. Evan Longoria, Jay Bruce & Brandon Phillips will be fun to watch though. Too many vets for a rebuilding team.

30. Angels - Some interesting young arms in the rotation and pen, but didn't get favorable projections yet. The offense is just the opposite, packed with aging vets and role players. The loss of Rocco what the final nail in the coffin before the season even began.

If you don't like them, you can do them yourself next time.

Actually....taking offers to help produce these. It's not hard now that the initial run is done. The goals is every other Tuesday. I have two volunteers so far, but anyone is welcomed to help. PM me if you're interestd.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Nice work John, much appreciated.

Any wagers on who scores the most runs in the NL? Reds or Marlins? :p
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Nice work John, much appreciated.

Any wagers on who scores the most runs in the NL? Reds or Marlins? :p
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

wholl give up the least?
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Looking at spread of merely 13 places separating the best from the worst, the AL Central is going to be a fabulously entertaining division to watch this year. Though I really have my doubts about Z's squad being on top at the end. The fates seem to dislike him.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Phillies wrote:wholl give up the least?
The Yankees.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Twins wrote:Looking at spread of merely 13 places separating the best from the worst, the AL Central is going to be a fabulously entertaining division to watch this year. Though I really have my doubts about Z's squad being on top at the end. The fates seem to dislike him.
Should be fun no doubt. I happen to like the Tigers chances pretty good. Should be a good race between the Twinkies, El Tigres, and Royals with the Indians offense keeping it interesting.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Reds wrote:
Twins wrote:Looking at spread of merely 13 places separating the best from the worst, the AL Central is going to be a fabulously entertaining division to watch this year. Though I really have my doubts about Z's squad being on top at the end. The fates seem to dislike him.
Should be fun no doubt. I happen to like the Tigers chances pretty good. Should be a good race between the Twinkies, El Tigres, and Royals with the Indians offense keeping it interesting.
I'm with you on that count...I fear the Tigers more than Z (with no offense intended).
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Someone named Andrew put his frisky jeans on today...if it's a fight to the death you want, it's a fight to the death you get!
Rays
Name: Matt Kratky

Post by Rays »

Great work John.

Very thoughtful/analytical rankings.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

not much thought put into my ranking.
Mets

Post by Mets »

You'll just have to prove it wrong.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

im not talking about the ranking, i dont mind where i get placed with the 0-0 record i currently own. im referring to to the "thoughtful" comment you gave me. what does favortism to Phillies players have anything to do with how good/bad my team is? I have Werth, Victorino and Romero in starting roles. Dobbs and Coste are on the bench. that makes my team bad?
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

i do think the phils should be in the top 15 here. bedard, gorz, hudson, lowe, berkman, a great outfield defense (two of the three arms are Ex, one is Vg- does anybody else have that in the league?). phills will be in the NL East and WC Race to the end.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Mets

Post by Mets »

Phillies wrote:im not talking about the ranking, i dont mind where i get placed with the 0-0 record i currently own. im referring to to the "thoughtful" comment you gave me. what does favortism to Phillies players have anything to do with how good/bad my team is? I have Werth, Victorino and Romero in starting roles. Dobbs and Coste are on the bench. that makes my team bad?
It was more of a rival shot from a Mets fan than anything else. I like to mix sarcasm in with my evaluations...you guys will be used to it after a few more publications of these.

The only reason the Phillies weren't ranked higher was because I wasn't sure their offense would be able to keep up with opponents in at Citizen's Bank, even with good pitching. It's just a tough place to play, even with a stacked lineup, and dominant pitching, and I'm curious to see if they'll score enough runs to be relevant....of course, if they do, they should do well.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

you had me at mets fan. i either didnt know or forgot you were a muts fan but now i completely understand. since that is the case, we dont like you either.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

nice work on these John. looking forward to future editions (and willing to do one myself at some point in the season if needed)

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)

Return to “Power Rankings”