Reds '07 Draft

Nate Hunter's blog. Nate was 717-506 (.586) in his IBC career with three playoff appearances, two via Wild Card (06-07) and an NL Central Title (2008)

Moderator: BlueJays

BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Reds '07 Draft

Post by BlueJays »

Well, needless to say I've had absolutely no internet access for a long while now, and I wasn't able to trade picks or prepare for this draft in the way I've done in the past. So this might not be my strongest draft, but I think its still turning out better than I had anticipated given the circumstances.. also, big time thanks to Jim for helping me make my selection via the phone - couldn't have done so without ya. Thanks for helping me research and making my picks.

so.. without further ado..
Last edited by BlueJays on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

With my first pick, I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to head - but I did know I had a possible glaring hole in my rotation with Papelbon most likely losing his SP projection - and when I found that Kuroda was available it made sense. I won 104 games last year, have a young squad, and see no sense in dismantling the roster as it currently is comprised. I'm hedging that Kuroda will get a solid mid rotation projection - something I was in desperate need of given Mussina's shit season. Halladay, Cain, Vazquez, and Kuroda should form a very solid 1 thru 4. I also liked that Kuroda induces the grounders.. Good stuff. He may end up sucking, but he figures to be a key cog for 1 year at least on my squad, and if I get anything else out of him, bonus.

http://prospectinsider.com/2007/10/20/t ... ng-report/
Hiroki Kuroda, RHP - Hiroshima Toyo Carp
Ht/Wt: 6-0/200
2007: 26GS, 7 CG, 12-8, 3.56 ERA, 179 2/3 IP, .261 BAA, 20 HR, 123 K, 42 BB

Stuff -

Fastball:
Kuroda sits 90-92 with a four-seam fastball that shows good leverage, although only a fair amount of sink. He will touch 93-94 at times and with good arm side tail that is very effective against right-handed batters.

He has solid command of the fastball and is not afraid to elevate the pitch to change planes to give the hitter something else to look at, which is ideal since the 33-year-old does not throw a curve ball.

He surrendered 20 homers in his 179 2/3 innings, which is a solid number considering the size of the ballparks, but would benefit greatly from Safeco Fieldís spacious alleys.

Slider:
Kuroda uses a true slider in the way that fellow Japanese hurler Daisuke Matsuzaka does, with good depth and varying velocities. Kuroda will typically rush his slider to the plate in the 84-86 mph range, but will need to keep the pitch down more consistently in the states.

At times heíll fall in love with his slider a little bit, which is consistent with other Japanese pitchers.

Splitter:
Kurodaís fork-split is his best pitch and the one in which he will record the majority of his strikeouts. Heís capable of throwing it for strikes, but itís much more effective as a change-of-pace offering that falls off the table into the dirt.

He will induce some swings and misses with it as it travels to the plate in the 82-86 mph range.

The Scoop:
Kuroda is the class of the three free agents and will get the most interest but he profiles as a No. 3 at best, depending mostly on how well he adapts to the patient approach of the hitters in MLB.

Heís slow to the plate but has a relatively compact and clean delivery that gives his fastball some late life. Needs to improve holding runners (this will be something all four scouting reports will read, as itís generally not a strong area for Japanese pitchers).

Considering the domestic market, Kuroda, even at 33 years old, could command a contract in the $9-11 million range, for at least three years.

ìHe could blow, like most of the starters that have come from Japan,î said a scout that saw the three free agents this past summer. ìBut he is the one the group of starters that stands out.î
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

With my 2nd selection, I chose Pete Kozma - SS

I admit, this pick was a rush pick - under time constraints using a friend's computer real quick before heading out the door. Little research went into this one, I didn't want to hold up the draft.. I figured a guy picked at 18 overall isn't so bad in the 2nd round, with little research. Fortunately, he signed - as I didn't even think to check this before drafting him. He looks to be an okay pick, but given more time to research I probably wouldn't have selected him... however, I think he's a solid prospect to pair with 2b-A. Cardenas who I selected last year, and he's a pick I can live with.
18 18 STL Pete Kozma ss Owasso (Okla.) HS OK $1,395,000
There may not be a true middle infielder drafted in the first round this year, but Kozma is as good a candidate as any. He impressed scouting directors when his team made a swing through Florida in late March, and he had a three-homer game in an Oklahoma 6-A playoff contest. Kozma has no true standout tool, but he also has no glaring weakness. He grades out as average to slightly above-average in every tool except power, and he does have pop. His instincts help him play above his physical ability at bat, on the bases and in the field. He has good plate coverage and uses the entire field, projecting as a future No. 2 hitter in a big league lineup. Coming into the spring, some scouts questioned whether he'd be a long-term shortstop, but he has no doubters now. A Wichita State recruit, Kozma draws raves for his consistency and energy as well.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

With my 3rd pick, and some other guys I had scoped out a bit as best I could being taken ahead of me, I was pretty elated to get the "19th best sepct going into the draft" according to BA. Some are down on him after his jr. year performance and his broken ankle, but I think he's a solid pick in the 3rd round and I am betting he can rebound. I don't know exactly where he fits in my plans, but I wanted to take the best available player I could, and I didn't think he'd fall much further. I'm hoping he can move relatively quickly.
5 35 TEX Julio Borbon of Tennessee TN $800,000
The top college outfielder in a draft virtually devoid of them, Borbon broke his ankle during an intrasquad game a week before the spring season started. He made it back to the Tennessee lineup by the end of March, but he had just two home runs and seven doubles in 143 at-bats. He had not shown the consistent hard contact that made him Team USA's catalyst last summer, when the college national team brought home a gold medal from the World University Championship in Cuba. At his best, Borbon is a top-of-the-order hitter who makes sharp contact and changes games with his plus speed. He's more than a slap-and-run type, with above-average bat speed and some sock in his bat. A Dominican native, he has an aggressive approach and doesn't walk often. His defense is adequate, but he could improve his reads and routes. A popular comparison for Borbon is Johnny Damon, for the pop in his bat as well as his speed and well-below-average arm. He was expected to be taken in the first round despite a lackluster junior year.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I was between Mattair and Borbon on my last pick. Nicely done.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

I liked that Kozma pick--I was very close to picking him 2 or 3 picks before you.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Yeah you stole Kouzma from me, prick
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Cardinals wrote:Yeah you stole Kouzma from me, prick
Ah, small payback for all those years ago when you stole A. Kearns from me in the 2nd round of the original IBC draft.. :P
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

4th round pick Matthew Mitchell from BA:
8. Matt Mitchell, rhp Born: March 31, 1989. ï B-T: R-R. ï Ht.: 6-2. ï Wt.: 205

Drafted: HSóBarstow, Calif. (14th round). ï Signed by: John Ramey.

Background: The Royals might come away with one of the steals of the 2007 draft after finding Mitchell in the small southern California town of Barstow and signing him for $100,000 as a 14th-rounder. The secret was out once he won the Rookie-level Arizona League ERA title with a 1.80 mark.

Strengths: Mitchell was able to correct an early tendency of pitching up in the strike zone by getting better extension in his delivery and throwing on more of a downhill plane. Advanced for a high school pitcher, Mitchell locates an 88-92 mph fastball to both sides of the plate and shows an ability to throw it for strike one. He uses his secondary pitches a lot for a young pitcher, including a palm changeup and a curveball with 11-to-5 break when it's on. He hides the ball well with a smooth delivery, similar to Curt Schilling's, which makes it hard for hitters to time his arm speed.

Weaknesses: Mitchell is still working on feel for his curveball, which has inconsistent trajectory and rotation. He's still figuring out his mechanics and needs to repeat his delivery on a more regular basis.

The Future: Kansas City is thrilled with Mitchell so far and thinks it could have a mid-rotation starter on its hands. He'll compete for a spot in the low Class A rotation this year.

Code: Select all

2007 Club (Class) W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H HR BB SO AVG 
AZL Royals (R) 5 1 1.80 14 7 0 1 55 34 0 25 72 .183

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”