Pandora.com

Nate Hunter's blog. Nate was 717-506 (.586) in his IBC career with three playoff appearances, two via Wild Card (06-07) and an NL Central Title (2008)

Moderator: BlueJays

BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Pandora.com

Post by BlueJays »

http://www.pandora.com

Okay, this is absolutely one of the COOLEST new things I have found on the internet in a long time. Pandora.com is an online radio station, but its also a "musical genome project".

What you do is go to the website. You'll be prompted to enter a name of one of your favorite artists upon which pandora.com will build a "personalized" radio station featuring artists/songs from the same and/or similar genre or "music genome" to listen to. Its "personalized" - but from what I've found so far, an AWESOME way to discover new bands that are similar to your tastes.

So.. who did you enter? And what are some cool new bands/artists you discovered through pandora?

I put in one of my alltime favorite DJ's, and also an alias I use when signing bullshit forms - John Digweed.

So far I've gotten artists I'm mostly familiar with but here's a look at how my chain has gone so far - the ones in bold I have not heard before:

John Digweed-->Way Out West-->Sleeper Their-->16 bit Lolitas-->John Digweed-->Josh Wink

I'm familiar with most of these artists, as would most electronic fans who knew their shit(like John in CO)..

Also features stations by genre, friends list, whats on now, etc.

Pretty fuckin cool. Post some cool artists you discovered that you think the rest of us might enjoy.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Haha - welcome to the 2000's, we've got Red Bull and everything...

I've been on Pandora for a while now, and it has turned me on to bands like Stewboss, Blue Merle, and Mae - bands that I'd never heard of that are now staples in my listening collection...

My favorite feature is the thumbs up/thumbs down - get that crap I don't like out of there...
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

hahaha.... sometimes its hard for me to diverge from my regular visted websites. I become braindead when doing google searches, etc. I sit there going "DURRRR!"

Aside from that, for my particular listening genre, www.di.fm is a big one i've always been loyal too for years - even my brother has had some sets play on www.di.fm, I know the staff pretty well, etc. So, yeah, I dont always get outside my own little online world..
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Been a Pandora slave for about 5 years now...too bad it's blocked at work.

I've found dozens of new bands on there....excellent site...I'll try to post others that are cool if I can think of any.

Great reference site:

www.allmusic.com
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

This thing has me pegged pretty well. First six songs it played (based off of a U2 track) were other bands that are my favorites- Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Killers, The Police, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Pretty good.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

yahoo music has a similar player....you can fully customize your station, rating artists, songs, and albums and it'll tailor what it plays to what you rate, including playing what fans of X genre/artist recommend....I've been using it a while now & listen all day at work...10k+ ratings so far....yeesh
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Yup, Pandora rocks, unquestionably one of the best sites on the web.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”