The I <3 Game

Nate Hunter's blog. Nate was 717-506 (.586) in his IBC career with three playoff appearances, two via Wild Card (06-07) and an NL Central Title (2008)

Moderator: BlueJays

BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

The I <3 Game

Post by BlueJays »

Haha.. Follow up the post above your's with what you <3

I'll go first..

I <3 Eli Manning..
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Post by WhiteSox »

GIANTS BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

This is the first time I've rooted for the Giants since they beat the Bills in the Super Bowl all those years ago.

Now back to being an Eagles fan again.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Holy crap

Holy crap

Holy crap

I have no more voice

Holy crap

Eli! Tyree! Tuck! Osi! Strahan! Plax!

Holy crap
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

I <3 this quote:

"He thinks we're only going to score 17 points?" - Tom Brady
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

i think the exact quote was - "We're only going to score 17 points? Okay." but i'm too excited to check for sure.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

The best part about it is that we'll have a whole summer free of shit talking from Patriots fans....Hearing about the Red Sox is bad enough...but at least it won't be year round. And if the Celtics win it all, no one is really going to care.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Rockies wrote:The best part about it is that we'll have a whole summer free of shit talking from Patriots fans....
Amen to that.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

I <3 Broken Patriot Fan's Hearts :)
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Awful quiet around here ain't it boys?
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

that's the sound of everyone in new england finally shutting up
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

GGGGGGGGMEN
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I'll step up and respond to this. First of all, the Patriots offense may actually have made me sick (seriously I woke up Sunday morning with a cold and by the end of the day had a fever and all that stuff). Anyway, I've been avoiding commentary and analysis, but I really hope Belicheck is taking a ton of shit for passing up that FG to have Brady lob it into the end zone on a 4th and 13. Also, there was some nice karmic retribution for Asante Samuel, in what was clearly his "Pay Me" game he could have had the game sealing interception, but instead it went through his hands and Eli led the team to victory. On the plus side, how entertaining was Peyton? There should have been a camera on him the entire the game.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Nah, that was the sound of me being out of town for the weekend.

First of all, good game to the Giants, it was an exciting game (at least, it was if you don't mind a defensive war) and a clean game. There was one questionable face-mask non-call that I saw, but it didn't look intentional so I'm not all that chuffed about it.

Secondly, Manning getting the MVP is a joke. Period. Anyone who argues otherwise is a retard. That game was won and lost in the battle between the Pats' O Line and the Giants D Line (as many pundits surprisingly accurately expected it would). The MVP was Justin Tuck. Of course, there's no way Tuck would get it since the MVP almost always goes to a QB, RB or WR. Manning was, generally, mediocre. The Giants D line on the other hand made Brady look mediocre. No small feat.

Third, there are only two things I can complain about and they're things that I think any reasonable football fan will empathize with. First is that this means more of the regular Mercury Morris raps. Second, now instead of having half the commercials during any NFL break featuring Peyton Manning, we're going to have half featuring Peyton and the other half featuring Eli.

Fourth, as for broken hearts... you have to be kidding right? 1986 was heart breaking... 2003 was heart breaking... this? This was supposed to be icing on the cake. So we don't get icing, this loss was disappointing but not heart breaking.

Fifth, if you think this loss means no shit-talking this summer... you have to be kidding. We've got the (at least) second best team in the NFL, best QB, best Coach and the #7 overall draft pick. The Pats are already the favorites for SB XLIII

Finally, this had to have been the worst year for commercials ever, right?

Jake, there WAS a camera on Peyton the entire game, they just didn't show it that often.
Astros

Post by Astros »

Good to see you're still full of shit as always
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I meant that we should have had a little picture in picture screen up in the corner, or maybe have the feed on the NFL network or something. He was beyond entertaining.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Cardinals wrote:Good to see you're still full of shit as always
Good to see you're as insightful as always...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Tuck was the unquestioned MVP of the first half. The defense was the MVP of the game. But, trust me, Eli Manning was the Individual MVP of the Game.

9-14, 2 TD's, and a 140.3 passer rating when it mattered the most. That's greatness.

I've also figured there's no real desire, in my heart, to pile on Pats fans on this one. I'm so much more proud of this team then any other team I've ever rooted for, in any sport. But I'm calling horseshit on that Bren. Icing on the cake? Why play the post-season if you're content with a perfect regular season? The goal is to win the championship, not to come really really close.

If I'm a Patriots fan I'd keep my mouth shut for the moment. You just got punched in the mouth by a New York team, and you've got potential evidence showing that you FILMED A SUPER BOWL WALK-THROUGH. Not the best week to be a Pats fan.
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

Eli was without a doubt the MVP. The only QB since Joe Montana to lead his team to two 4th quarter TDs in a winning effort. He stepped up when it mattered and marched his team downfield to victory. Hell, even the INT he threw early in the game wasn't his fault. The D as a whole was why they won, but Eli sealed the deal.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Royals wrote: Icing on the cake? Why play the post-season if you're content with a perfect regular season? The goal is to win the championship, not to come really really close.
You're looking at a smaller context than I am. I'm not calling the SB icing on the cake of what was almost a perfect season. I'm talking about the Perfect Season being icing on the cake of the 3 Superbowls we already had in the last 7 seasons, along with 2 World Series Championships and the Celtics huge resurgence. It was still a fantastic season for Pats fans, it didn't end the way we would have wanted by any means, but in the grand scheme of sports it was still one of the most historic, most fantastic rides ever.

Eli showed up for 2 series. The Giants D line was ON for all four quarters. if they had faltered for even one, there's no way the Pats lose, period. Manning as MVP is a joke, defending it is even funnier.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

19-35, 2 TD's, 1 INT that wasn't his fault. Two spectacularly clutch drives in which he made play, after play, after play to win the game.

You're right about the Giants D-Line, unfortunately it's an individual award. Tuck didn't have a tackle after the first half. Strahan had 3 tackles, and 1 sack. Osi didn't have a sack. Trying to quantify how well they played as a unit is stupid. They were unbelievable. I can not say enough about the job Spags did, the unbelievably relentless hustle of every man who stepped to the defensive line, and the bend-but-don't-break will of the secondary. Unfortunately it's an individual award.

This isn't the regular season MVP that should take into account all 16 games, 82 games, or 162 games. This is the MVP of the Super Bowl. Only thing that matters is what the scoreboard says at the end of the game. The fact of the matter was that Eli was THE MAN on the two most important drives of the entire season. There are a lot of other MVP's who had worse stats, and didn't come through nearly to the level Eli did. Eli had the numbers, and he dominated when it came time to win the game. The fact that he merely played prett well for the first three quarters is totally trumped by the fact that he morphed into Joe Montana in the fourth.

The entire Giants offensive game plan was to shorten the game to one quarter, and then win that quarter. Mission accomplished.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Peter King of si.com: Had I voted for MVP, I'd probably have split my vote between Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, because holding the Patriots to their lowest point total in 25 games was what won this game. I don't, however, think Manning was a bad choice, because he led 80- and 83-yard touchdown drives down the stretch to win it. To do that, on that stage, is MVP-worthy.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Tuck didn't have a tackle after the first half. Eli didn't show up for the first half. If Tuck didn't do what he did in the first half, Eli never would have had the opportunity in the fourth quarter.

And the Offense didn't shorten the game to one quarter, that was the Defense's accomplishment.
Astros

Post by Astros »

I'm starting to wonder if you watched the game. How did Eli not show up the first half. Opening drive for a FG. The second drive they were deep in Pats territory when Smith tipped the ball and it got picked. Their other first half drive was past midfield if I recall. Eli played a better game than the great Tom Brady. Eli wasn't underthrowing, overthrowing and just plain missing open recievers(or screaming at them, like he did at Welker when he overthrew him by 10 feet and the ball landed way out of bounds). The only really bad decision he made was trying the bomb to Plax when he had Toomer open for a 20 yard gain
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Not sure if you caught the first half, but the Giants had the ball for 20 of the 30 minutes including the longest drive, time-wise, in Super Bowl history. They also had two good drives stopped to no points because of a rule that no one on planet earth knew about, and a dropped first down catch that landed in Ellis Hobbs' hands. Was Jared Lorenzen QB'ing the Giants for these drives? I think I would have known, because he's a 300 lb. left-hander - but I might have been watching the game on my friends "Opposite Day" TV in the first half.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”