I HATE Bill Bavasi

Jagger Traylor's blog

Moderator: Mariners

Mariners
Name: Jagger

I HATE Bill Bavasi

Post by Mariners »

Carlos Silva's four-year, $48 million contract with the Mariners includes a $12 million mutual option for 2012.

Silva gets a $5 million signing bonus. The option includes a $2 million buyout, so he'll make $58 million if he stays for the full five years.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Yep, BB is an idiot. They can't fire his ass fast enough, before he does anymore long term harm to the franchise.
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

I can't stand Bavasi either, I'd have fired his ass two years ago. But I'm not as down on the Silva signing as some people. I'm not saying I would have done the deal, but if you look at last few year's free agent pitchers (Lilly, Suppan, Washburn, Pavano, Batista, Marquis, Morris, etc.) this deal doesn't look so bad at all. Didn't know about the 5th-year option though, that really is ridiculous.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

I feel the same way. Not saying it's a good deal, but I don't see it as crippling or anything. 2006 aside he's been a nice pitcher.

Bavasi is horrible though.
Mariners

Erik Bedard

Post by Mariners »

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that "the Erik Bedard trade finally is official."

Bedard took and apparently passed his physical Thursday, so an official announcement should be coming shortly. Seattle will acquire Bedard in exchange for Adam Jones, George Sherrill, Chris Tillman, Tony Butler and Kam Mickolio.

O.K., maybe "hate" was to harsh of a word. But, I really don't like anything Bavasi does, including this trade. At least the Bedard deal makes the Silva contract more understandable.

I'm sure I will be singing a different tune, IF the M's make it, and do well in the post season.

In the mean time, Chris Tillman and Tony Butler, both '06 players are now available for trade here in the IBC.
Last edited by Mariners on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariners

Trade Block

Post by Mariners »

As I said before, since they are no longer M's, '06 players Chris Tillman, and Tony Butler are on thr block. Also, I'll put '06 players Chris Marrero and Hank Conger on the block with them. I'll send a "package" for that one player that can help me now.
Mariners

Today is a Great Day!

Post by Mariners »

Mariners fire Bavasi
By JOHN HICKEY
P-I REPORTER

A three-game weekend sweep at the hands of the lowly Washington Nationals being the final straw, the Mariners fired general manager Bill Bavasi Monday morning.

Bavasi, who has directed a franchise with just one winning record in the last four-plus seasons, will be replaced in the short term by Lee Pelekoudas, who has been the right-hand man of both Bavasi and his predecessor as general manager, Pat Gillick.

There has been a long, blog-driven push from some in the Mariners fan base to let Bavasi go, but the Mariners front office consistently gave the former Anaheim Angels GM votes of confidence.

But with the Mariners owning the worst record in the majors despite a $117 million payroll, boos rocking Safeco Field and things showing no sign of turning around, Bavasi was told Monday morning by club CEO Howard Lincoln and president Chuck Armstrong he was being relieved of his duties.

"Change is in order," Lincoln said in a statement. "We have determined new leadership is needed in the GM position. With a new leader will come a new plan and a new approach. A search will begin immediately for a permanent GM, and Lee will be a candidate for the position."

Pelekoudas, who is in his 29th season with the Mariners organization, has been the associate general manager since November 2005. His main responsibilities have included coordination of player contract negotiations, tracking major league player movement, managing the club's player transactions within the MLB administrative rules and the major league payroll. He has also been extensively involved in discussions and decisions on the make-up of the major league roster.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Is this a precursor to a Bedard trade?
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

The M's & the Mets should trade expiring contracts just to make the rest of the season interesting again for those teams.

Call it a try-out.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

What the heck is happening in Cincinati?

Post by Padres »

Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the hiring of former Anaheim Angels and Seattle Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi as a special assistant.

I would like to congratulate the Reds for making me finally question why I even bother with this team. If there is a stupider man in baseball than Bill Bavasi I would be surprised. Not only has this guy failed at every single aspect of baseball operations through his career, he just got fired for being the worst GM in baseball.

Just to prove my point these two classic deals he pulled off just in the last year.

Feb. 8, 2008
Acquired LHP Erik Bedard from the Baltimore Orioles for outfielder Adam Jones, LHP George Sherrill, RHP Chris Tillman, RHP Kam Mickolio and LHP Tony Butler.
Dec. 20, 2007
Signed free agent RHP Carlos Silva to a four-year contract with a mutual option for 2012.
Carlos Silva has an ERA of almost 6, and Erik Bedard has only pitched 81 innings this year because of continuous trips to the DL.

My biggest fear is that this guy is coming in and actually getting to do important shit, or maybe even replacing Walt Jocketty some how. If this guy some how becomes the GM I'm officially becoming a Royals fan. I feel an EMO stage of my life starting soon.

http://www.dunnanddunner.com/2008/08/re ... cliff.html
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Maybe Bavasi will pull an Allard Baird, who suddenly seemed OK with the Sox when not in charge. I don't think so, however.

Return to “DBacks”