Goldstein chat

Shawn Lape's blog. Lape finished his IBC career 266-335 (.443) with the Astros and Tigers between October 2007-August 2011, and never made the playoffs.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Goldstein chat

Post by Guardians »

I found this interesting that Weaver was included, but not Greinke.

bumphadley (NJ): Legit No. 1's (on less than two hands): Felix, Sabathia, Lester, Lincecum, Halladay, Lee, Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke, Weaver Who am I missing? Anyone who shouldn't be there?

Kevin Goldstein: Greinke is not a legit No. 1.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Also gotta give a shout out to this guy Nils who asked a question. He seems to know his shit.

Nils (Stamford): Enny Romero has had two good starts to begin the year. Is he the type of guy who could shoot up the prospect rankings this year?

Kevin Goldstein: Absolutely he could. Long lefty with plus power stuff and rare control for his age. Will move up, and also a shot at exploding (in a good way).
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Re: Goldstein chat

Post by Athletics »

Tigers wrote:I found this interesting that Weaver was included, but not Greinke.

bumphadley (NJ): Legit No. 1's (on less than two hands): Felix, Sabathia, Lester, Lincecum, Halladay, Lee, Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke, Weaver Who am I missing? Anyone who shouldn't be there?

Maybe he is worried Greinke will go cower in a hole if he ever has a bad stretch of games...or he loves the K rate and ever decreasing WHIP with Weaver, because I know I do. :lol:
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Giants wrote:Also gotta give a shout out to this guy Nils who asked a question. He seems to know his shit.

Nils (Stamford): Enny Romero has had two good starts to begin the year. Is he the type of guy who could shoot up the prospect rankings this year?

Kevin Goldstein: Absolutely he could. Long lefty with plus power stuff and rare control for his age. Will move up, and also a shot at exploding (in a good way).
Go Enny!
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

what about josh johnson?
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Tigers wrote:I found this interesting that Weaver was included, but not Greinke.

That is dumb, at least based on the past few years. All of Greinke's numbers were in the midst of these other guys last year, and he was the best pitcher in baseball in 2009. His stuff fell back some last year, and I suppose it's possible that he knows it's falling back more moving forward, but I think it's more likely he's talking out his ass.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Rockies wrote:what about josh johnson?
S (NJ): Josh Johnson - legit No. 1?

Kevin Goldstein: Absolutely.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Rangers wrote:

That is dumb, at least based on the past few years. All of Greinke's numbers were in the midst of these other guys last year, and he was the best pitcher in baseball in 2009. His stuff fell back some last year, and I suppose it's possible that he knows it's falling back more moving forward, but I think it's more likely he's talking out his ass.
Gotta agree with Brett on this. Greinke is right there with any of those guys.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Padres wrote:
Rangers wrote:

Gotta agree with Brett on this. Greinke is right there with any of those guys.
Really? I'd argue every one of the above you could talk about as showing sustained success as an ace - except maybe Lester. Zack Greinke has exactly 1 season you could call "ace" caliber. While he has the stuff, there is absolutely the mentality of being an ace - and, based on his past, how the hell do we know if he has it?

How can one disagree with the statement that Greinke has a ways to go - might be a short ways, might be a long ways - but a definite ways to go before he's an "Ace"?

I think based on his career, saying that Greinke isn't an ace is an absolutely fair statement. Did Goldstein saying he couldn't be an ace? He did not...but Greinke still has a LOT to prove in the "ace" regards.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Give me one guy for one game that I HAVE to win and Greinke is definitely right there with any of those guys, and I'd certainly take him over a couple of them. If you're calling Lester an Ace, then Greinke HAS to be there too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Saying you'd put Greinke on the same level as Sabathia, Lee, and Halladay makes you out of your goddamn mind.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

2009 was as good as any pitcher in the last decade - 229 innings, 2.16era, 1.07 WHIP, 51/242 bb/k.......

I like Greinke a lot, but lets see him do it more than one season before annointing him one of the top pitchers in the game.

If you include Greinke, I feel like you have to include Liriano, Oswalt, Santana, Haren, Price, Ubaldo.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Well if you get to that point than you might as well just start breaking down all the pitchers into their tiers.

Perennial Aces...50/50 Aces...Fringe Aces...Solid 2's, etc.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Mets wrote:2009 was as good as any pitcher in the last decade - 229 innings, 2.16era, 1.07 WHIP, 51/242 bb/k.......

I like Greinke a lot, but lets see him do it more than one season before annointing him one of the top pitchers in the game.

If you include Greinke, I feel like you have to include Liriano, Oswalt, Santana, Haren, Price, Ubaldo.
I can understand somewhat not including Greinke in the ACE category....but why then does he include Weaver, when weaver's best season still ranks second to Greinke's best season.
Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

Post by Twins »

Tigers wrote:I can understand somewhat not including Greinke in the ACE category....but why then does he include Weaver, when weaver's best season still ranks second to Greinke's best season.
Simple. Weaver pitches on a coast. Greinke has only pitched in the Midwest.

End Midwest inferiority complex rant.
2010 KC 83-79
2011 KC 94-68
2012 KC 83-79
2013 KC 90-72; AL Central Champs
2014 KC 84-78
2015 KC 103-59; AL Central Champs
2016 KC 97-65; Lost WC Game to BAL
2017 MIN 80-82
2018 MIN 84-78
2019 MIN 80-82

Overall IBC Record 1040-903
Royals

Post by Royals »

Royals wrote:
Tigers wrote:I can understand somewhat not including Greinke in the ACE category....but why then does he include Weaver, when weaver's best season still ranks second to Greinke's best season.
Simple. Weaver pitches on a coast. Greinke has only pitched in the Midwest.

End Midwest inferiority complex rant.
Weird.
Those usually come from Aaron.
Granted, the MW arguably is inferior to the coasts.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I have issues with the list, the Midwest argument ain't one, I'll hold off on that for when the 4th place Red Sox are still getting all the prime time games in August.

The problem I think is the baseball vernacular. Every team has an "ace" as that is what your #1 is. There's a difference between an ace and a true ace. A true ace is going to be a #1 on almost every team. There's only a handful in baseball at a time.

Felix, Sabathia, Lester, Lincecum, Halladay, Lee, Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke, Weaver

Out of that, you can't include Kershaw or Weaver. I can see arguing that Greinke isn't one as well. A healthy Wainwright is one, that's the only omission from the list. I think Lester can be called one after this year, but he needs one more year IMO.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

You won't be saying that about Kershaw for much longer.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Cardinals wrote:I have issues with the list, the Midwest argument ain't one, I'll hold off on that for when the 4th place Red Sox are still getting all the prime time games in August.

The problem I think is the baseball vernacular. Every team has an "ace" as that is what your #1 is. There's a difference between an ace and a true ace. A true ace is going to be a #1 on almost every team. There's only a handful in baseball at a time.

Felix, Sabathia, Lester, Lincecum, Halladay, Lee, Verlander, Kershaw, Greinke, Weaver

Out of that, you can't include Kershaw or Weaver. I can see arguing that Greinke isn't one as well. A healthy Wainwright is one, that's the only omission from the list. I think Lester can be called one after this year, but he needs one more year IMO.
Couldn't agree more on the vernacular argument (yes, agreeing, end of the world... today IS 4/19/11 after all). But I think the true ace list is too long. If Lester needs just one more good year, I'd argue the same about Greinke. Less longevity, but more true brilliance. For true aces, so-called once-in-a-generation type talents I think you've realy only got three guys. Felix, Halladay, Lincecum. Of the others, Greinke has the most potential to make the leap and join them. Whether he can do that is up in the air.

And yes, the red sox or yankees would still be on primetime in August over the royals or cardinals or most any midwest team regardless of record because they will draw the most viewers and thus, make the most money for the networks. Welcome to the free market economy.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres wrote:
Cardinals wrote:I have issues with the list, the Midwest argument ain't one, I'll hold off on that for when the 4th place Red Sox are still getting all the prime time games in August.

Couldn't agree more on the vernacular argument (yes, agreeing, end of the world... today IS 4/19/11 after all). But I think the true ace list is too long. If Lester needs just one more good year, I'd argue the same about Greinke. Less longevity, but more true brilliance. For true aces, so-called once-in-a-generation type talents I think you've realy only got three guys. Felix, Halladay, Lincecum. Of the others, Greinke has the most potential to make the leap and join them. Whether he can do that is up in the air.

And yes, the red sox or yankees would still be on primetime in August over the royals or cardinals or most any midwest team regardless of record because they will draw the most viewers and thus, make the most money for the networks. Welcome to the free market economy.
I realize you hate the Yankees, but on what planet is Sabathia not an ace?
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I know I spend too much time on Facebook when I read a comment and find myself looking for the "Like" button...lol
Royals

Post by Royals »

I'd take any of those three guys in a matchup against any other pitcher in baseball, including Sabathia. But put any 2 of those 3 head to head and I'd have a hell of a time picking a favorite. That's how I draw the line at the top and Sabathia doesn't make that cut.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

I think we can put Josh Johnson in that class, King Felix hasnt been that much better for longer, if at all.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Rockies wrote:I think we can put Josh Johnson in that class, King Felix hasnt been that much better for longer, if at all.
Ah, Jake, you're such a funny guy! Johnson's total IP over his career is a definite issue. In spite of being two years older than Felix, he's got 500 fewer IP in the majors and has had issues with staying on the field. IMO his performances on the field aren't nearly brilliant enough to make up (at the point) for his shortage of innings.

Return to “Tigers”