Astros Prospects

Shawn Lape's blog. Lape finished his IBC career 266-335 (.443) with the Astros and Tigers between October 2007-August 2011, and never made the playoffs.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Astros Prospects

Post by Guardians »

I figured I would join the crowd and pimp some of my prospects.

Wade Leblanc: Strikes out 11 in first game of the year in AAA
6 IP 4 H 1 ER 1 BB 11 K

Travis Snider: I don't figure he'll spend too long in the Florida State League...I predict 100 AB's before he's hitting in AA.
5 GMs 13 AB .308/.438/.692

Johnny Whittleman: Off to a quick start in A+
3 GMS 10 AB .300/.462/.500

Fautino de los Santos: Possibly part of one of the best rotations (Stockton Ports) in the minor leagues to start the year.
6 IP 5 H 2 ER 1 BB 6 K
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

No possibly about it, that Stockton rotation is awesome.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

The Bats were shaping up to be good, then Cueto went and made the team.. heh.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Sorry for the double post, but PS - he pitches tonight against a pretty potent brew crew lineup.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Reds wrote:The Bats were shaping up to be good, then Cueto went and made the team.. heh.
It's OK the better pitcher Bailey is there. :twisted:
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

JORDAN SCHAFER: Wonderful day for Houston!!

MLB suspended Double-A Mississippi outfielder Jordan Schafer 50 games for using human growth hormone.

Perhaps this partially explains Schafer's big leap forward last year, though studies on whether hGH really helps performance have yet to produce much in the way of results. Schafer has been viewed as a big-time talent since long before he was drafted -- Baseball America named him the top 13-year-old prospect in the nation in 2000 -- but he as often as not disappointed before blossoming in 2007. The 50-game ban figures to ruin his hopes of reaching the majors this season. He had been looked at as a good bet to take over as the Braves' center fielder next year, but that's in doubt now as well.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I'm tellin you JP.. just wait until it warms up a bit.. he gets his legs under him.. continues to fill out.. get his reps in from the stretch. He's gonna be MONEY!

All spring, he was fantastic from the windup.

His curve needs perhaps a little bit of tightening, but you can see its a plus pitch, sometimes plus plus IMO.

His changeup has made crazy good strides from what I saw this spring. Its defenitely average right now IMO, and given the progress its made, I can see it becoming above average. He just needs to fill out(he's still lanky), and shorten his stride from the stretch.

The rumors that he is unteachable/uncoachable is false, as there were plenty of accounts of him sitting with Soto for entire games during the spring - it appears these are unfounded rumors by tons of media that do not like his "terse" attitude. The word Terse is a direct quote from John Fay. For some reason, that caught fire and next thing you hear Buster Olney reporting it, etc. Bullshit.

He's got some cockiness in him, but thats what I want from a #1. I just want their head on a bit more straight then Zambrano. Homer has all the ingredients, you can see it. He just has some things to work on, like a lot of 21 year old pitchers. He's made rapid progress. I don't see why there is a lot of people souring on him at all. If his value is low right now, buy buy buy! And now he doesn't have the pressure put on him, can work this shit out in AAA without having to be "the savior".
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Oh BTW, Bailey's line so far tonight:

Bailey: 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Yep I agree with everything you said there Nate. Did some research on him and asked you about him before I picked him up- I do believe many scouts see his curve as plus-plus so that's a fair statement to say that he has a pair of plus plus pitches.

Ended up going 5.2 with the same line- but hit his 90 Pitch limit - been listening into it. Sounds like he's been pretty on tonight...64 of those 90 were strikes which is also an encouraging sign.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Was just about to post his pitch count, looks like he had pretty sharp command tonight. Its early, so a 90 pitch limit seems like a good idea. Bailey does need to tack on about 30-40 more innings onto his workload this year. I honestly think he had a bit of dead arm in the spring too.

Sorry to pimp a pirates prospect in your forum Stro's.. heh.. just good conversation about my favorite team's prospects.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Reds wrote:Was just about to post his pitch count, looks like he had pretty sharp command tonight. Its early, so a 90 pitch limit seems like a good idea. Bailey does need to tack on about 30-40 more innings onto his workload this year. I honestly think he had a bit of dead arm in the spring too.

Sorry to pimp a pirates prospect in your forum Stro's.. heh.. just good conversation about my favorite team's prospects.
go ahead...pimp away

I LOVE Bailey.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Astros wrote:
Reds wrote:Was just about to post his pitch count, looks like he had pretty sharp command tonight. Its early, so a 90 pitch limit seems like a good idea. Bailey does need to tack on about 30-40 more innings onto his workload this year. I honestly think he had a bit of dead arm in the spring too.

go ahead...pimp away

I LOVE Bailey.
As do I...he was originally my find!
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I dont know if he was a "Find" per se.. heh..

when did you have the fortunate luck of drafting him?
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Reds wrote:I dont know if he was a "Find" per se.. heh..

when did you have the fortunate luck of drafting him?
I believe it was the 2005 draft...a draft in which I did not have the first selection
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I didn't think you did, but what pick still? :) All I was saying is Homer was a known quantity. Although going to the Reds certainly didn't help his case at the time.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Rincon

Post by Mariners »

Good job by Baseball America rating Edinson Rincon at least the 2nd best 'rated' prospect in the NWL. Of course playing here in Eugene I was bias and thought he should be #1.

Unlike many teenagers, Rincon has a mature approach at the plate. His quick swing and strength allowed him to hit .300/.415/.468 with 18 doubles and seven homers for Eugene. His discerning eye enabled him to draw 46 walks, the third-highest total in the league.

One scout said Rincon's performance wasn't a fluke and projected hit to consistently hit .300 with average power in the big leagues. He has good pitch recognition and hits breaking balls. Even though he's built like a catcher and weighs about 25-30 pounds more than his listed weight, he has decent speed and was perfect in five steal attempts.

Rincon's agility in the field is an issue, however. Though he has an above-average arm, he lacks the first-step quickness and mobility needed to stay at the hot corner. He made 22 errors in 44 games there this summer, and his future position likely will be left field.

Return to “Tigers”