A's trade log

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

A's trade log

Post by Giants »

After more than a year of off and on negotiations that survived two team relocations the Athletics finally completed a deal with the Nationals/Marlins/Astros for Randy Winn. Glad to have Winn's defense back in the outfield, and he can also sorta hit leadoff without striking out 165 times like Mike Cameron did. Sorry to see Pete Happy go, but when you can trade a defensive replacement for a starter in your lineup you do it, especially when that player isn't going to be a starter for the other team. Feliz slots nicely in a national league roster, and as Winn was not going to be in the future plans for the Nats the time was finally right to put Winn in Green and Gold.
Last edited by Giants on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giants

Post by Giants »

A's trade Ervin Santana to Rangers for Wladimier Balentien and Pick 73

Balentien was actually on my roster when I first got here, he was drafted for me as my second rounder and then I joined during the 3rd round. At the time I wasn't much of a prospect hound and didn't even know who he was, so I let him go in the expansion draft. Now I have the opportunity to add his big bat back into the lineup in exchange for a high potential but likely low projecting pitcher in Santana, who is almost certainly leaving the one ball park he was any good in, and we get to gamble on a 3rd round prospect to boot. Decent deal that could backfire in a big way, but we'll see.
Giants

Post by Giants »

A's receive Paul Konerko, Shaun Marcum, Jorge Sosa, Dave Roberts.

Rockies receive Chad Gaudin, Aubrey Huff, Cody Ross, Jon Niese

The big advantage of doing these previews is that I got a very specific look at my team relative to the rest of the league, and at the halfway mark it was clear that I desperately needed a cleanup hitter. John initially approached me about Jon Niese, one of my favorites but also one of his with his Mets connections. He also mentioned Chad Gaudin as interesting him because of his ground ball tendencies. I am a big fan of Marcum, and John also had an available cleanup hitter in Konerko. I've always liked Huff, but he wasn't going to play in front of Bill Hall at 3B, Tony Clark at 1B or Ken Griffey at DH. Cody Ross may well get a monster projection, but long term he is behind Maybin and Hermida which weakens his value, plus I have Wlad waiting in the wings. I hate to give up Niese, but I have a surplus of decent-good pitching prospects so trading one for a cleanup hitter was a move I had to make. Marcum improves my 4th starter spot, while Jorge Sosa is valuable insurance for Noah Lowry this year, though his long term prospects aren't very good. Dave Roberts, well he's a 25th man for me, and he's available if anyone is interested.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Looks like you got a helluva deal for Konerko and Marcum.

John must be bankin on Ross getting a monster projection at Coors. Gaudin has always been interesting, didn't know he was a GB pitcher.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Giants

Post by Giants »

Thanks dude. Gaudin got an extreme groundball projection from ZIPs, something like 63%.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

ZIPS had some way odd GB% for quite a few pitchers. Gaudin definately improved his as a starter last season (51%), I believe ZIPS gave a few of my pitchers 60+% GB tendancies and I doubt DMB misses the boat on them as badly as ZIPS did.

Course, I wouldn't mind it if DMB did. :wink:
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

The deal was made because Marcum would do well at Coors, and Gaudin is 25 years old, and a better fit for me. Losing Konerko will hurt, but I needed a LH bat, which Huff will provide, and if he's ever healthy, I can expect 25-30 dingers at Coors.

With Ross, I wanted a corner OF to platoon with Spilborghs, and I wanted VG D & VG power...not sure he'll get it, but for a platoon sitaution, I think I can get some production out of RF between the 2.

Sosa & Roberts are more usefull to the A's then to they would be to me. Niese was a guy I wanted, scouting the Mets prospects, and I got him, so I'm happy.

All in all, I feel:
Gaudin will be a better fit for me than Marucm
Ross & Huff will = Konerko
Niese will be worth a gamble on Sosa & Roberts for my squad.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

John, you don't have anything to prove to me.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Tigers

Post by Tigers »

Not sure why you felt the need to defend your trade in this thread. My response was solely in regards to ZIPS and their GB%'s they gave some pitchers, mine in particular. I think ZIPS did a poor job is applying GB% to their projections......assuming it wasn't just JP throwing a bunch of GB% numbers in there.
Mets

Post by Mets »

I am fully aware of ZIPS inflated GB #'s. Luckily, I don't make deals based off of ZIPS projections.

I never feel the need to defend a trade (unless it's been rejected). I was more or less responding to Jake's post. He posted how the deal helped him, so I responded by posting how it helped me.... win-win in my eyes.

It's getting to the point in this league when every post is either an attack or a defense...it seems.

Tigers

Post by Tigers »

My apologies then, my mis-interpretation of your response following right after mine.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

You guys do know that the projections are park-neutral right? (At least in theory)
Mets

Post by Mets »

The key is the "in theory" part.

If projections rely heavily on a pitchers 3 year splits, and his last three years were spent at Coors, there's nothing neutral about those stats.

The same holds true for Garrett Atkins projection....dude is aweful away from Coors (.254)...if he was being projected based on a neutral park, it can be argued that he'd be a .270 15 70 guy.....not a .320 25 90.

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

His projection will show up as what he would do in Coors. if those numbers were the actual 'functional' projections then when someone like Atkins played in Coors in the sim season then he would consistently perform above and beyond those projections because of the park effects.
Each player has a 'public' projection which we can all see and a base, park and league neutral projection which, so far as I know, nobody has a way of looking up.
Giants

Post by Giants »

All I know is that after the Bocachica projection last year (and by the way I believe Cody Ross will be that guy this year, check out his 2007 numbers) I'm just going to expect the ridiculous and plan accordingly.
Giants

Post by Giants »

Anyone see Cody Ross's projection?
Mets

Post by Mets »

Rockies have.

Giants

Post by Giants »

A's Receive: Frank Thomas and Matt 7-Mangini
Indians Receive: Tom Glavine and Matt 0-Tuiasosopo

Fair warning, this is going to be long, emotional, and probably lame, but that's OK. The Big Hurt is back. In 2006 he was may favorite player in all of baseball, cleanup hitter for the A's in real life and in the IBC (and boy was it entertaining to go out and see him in Oakland). Actually, acquiring Frank Thomas essentially kept me in the league, I was close to a deal with Ropers for Barry Bonds that fell through and my roster had absolutely no power and even less direction. It was actually Bren who suggested I go try and get Thomas from JB (nothing self serving about that I'm sure), and that acquisition led to a series of moves including Ken Griffey Jr., Tom Glavine, Luis Gonzalez, Mike Piazza, and Brad Radke that pretty led to team 1997, which only went .500 but I had a blast with. I got 52 home runs out of Thomas in the SIM, I think he led the league with 55 total, and watched him have an MVP caliber year for the A's. Then he broke my heart by signing with Toronto, and I wanted to dump him. Try as I might, I couldn't find a taker for him and I resigned myself to playing him. He did hit another 45 home runs, which helped, but I was entertaining thoughts of dealing him at the deadline even though it would have torpedoed my playoff chances. I finally got the chance to move him this offseason, and it felt like a weight was off my shoulders. Of course, just a month after I pulled that off Toronto cut him and he went right back to Oakland and suddenly I had to go out and get him again. Kelly and I have been trading offers since it became clear he was going to sign in Oakland, and we found one that fit pretty well for both of us. Glavine is my boy, he was the ace of my staff last year going 19-4 with a 3.72, but he struggled in real life with the Mets and this was certainly going to be his last year. Thank you for your service Tommy, enjoy the weather in Cleveland. As far as the prospects go I like Tui, but he's blocked at 3B in Seattle and I don't think his power is going to develop. I love Mangini's potential as a college lefty hitter, and with Casey Blake turning 35 this year I think he has a chance to move quickly in the Cleveland system, plus having another draft guy gives me some more flexibility with my roster. For Cleveland, the system has a dearth of talent in the upper minors and Kelly is a Seattle fan so Tui fills a need for him, and obviously he needs SP. So the real point of the trade was to get Thomas back on my team, but it also made sense from a baseball perspective for both teams, so I'm pretty happy with it.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

Athletics wrote:As far as the prospects go I like Tui, but he's blocked at 3B in Seattle and I don't think his power is going to develop. I love Mangini's potential as a college lefty hitter, and with Casey Blake turning 35 this year I think he has a chance to move quickly in the Cleveland system, plus having another draft guy gives me some more flexibility with my roster.
Mangini was drafted by the M's and is still with them (not CLE), so he's blocked by Beltre and Tui! :P
Giants

Post by Giants »

Your absolutely right, not sure why I had that in my head. Either way I think he's got a brighter future than Tui.
Giants

Post by Giants »

Now what a waste of a trade, both Glavine and Thomas on the DL for extended periods. Sweet.
Giants

Post by Giants »

Oakland Receives: Brett Myers
Washington Receives: Wladimir Balentien

After some complex trade talks with several teams stalled, I was able to grab an arm to shore up my rotation with my very first offer to Ken. Usually when that happens I freak out and wonder if I made a bad deal, but I believe that Brett Myers is very much like the player I traded to get Wlad, Ervin Santana, who had a terrific bounceback year this year. Myers will likely end up as the #3 behind Dan Haren and Cy DiFelice, though he may also end up reprising his role for the 2007 Phils and locking down my bullpen. Best case scenario Myers bounces back over the rest of this year and in 2009 (and yes I know that I'm basing a lot of this hope on the one good start he had the other day, but he has a terrific arm and his K rate has been in line with the past, though he's giving up more homers than before), and I essentially end up with Myers and Michael Stanton for Ervin, if not then I shore up my staff for a better run this year, and I still have Michael Stanton. Getting a potential impact bat like Wlad for a guy who was likely not going to help a ton next year makes a lot of sense for Ken, I think we found a nice match here in terms of needs.
Giants

Post by Giants »

A's Receive: Gil Meche, Steve Garrison, Royals 4th round pick
Reds Receive: Paul Konerko, Yorvit Torrealba, A's 2nd round pick

Paul Konerko we hardly knew ye (this time anyway). A projected .869 OPS became a .728 sim OPS, which was still better than the stinker of a season he was putting up in Chicago. Meanwhile with Chris Davis lighting it up in Texas and entrenching himself as my 1B of the future, plus the return of Frank Thomas I thought I'd see what I could get for the big guy. Enter Nate, who had a surplus of good but not great starting pitchers and the need for a bat with Hafner and Posada both looking done for the season. Yorvit also helps Nate out as a backup catcher, but he was rendered pretty superfluous with Doumit breaking out this year and Hammock's remarkable sim. Garrison is a solid lefty in the Padres system who came in the Linebrink deal and has a pretty reasonable chance of fitting into their rotation in the next couple of years, plus he has even better sim freak potential than the dearly departed Rowdy Hardy. These last two trades have made me feel a lot more comfortable next year as my rotation will probably line up Haren, Marcum, Meche, Myers, Lowry/Mulvey, as opposed to Haren, Marcum, Um, Errr..., and I don't know.
Giants

Post by Giants »

The Future is Later!

Pirates Receive:
Dan Haren

A's Receive:
Derrek Holland
Pick #1
Pick #4

After another 100 win season I took some time to evaluate where this team is and where it's going for the future and I didn't really like it. The only hitters I'm really happy about in my lineup long term are Ryan Doumit and the legendary Chris Davis (though I'm certainly OK with Fred Lewis), and I felt like the time was now to do something drastic. My best prospects (Villalona, Stanton, D'Arnaud) are still a couple of years away, and I don't have much impact pitching in the pipeline. Guys like Kevin Mulvey, Steve Garrison, and Clayton Mortensen have a decent shot at being mid-rotation types, but Beavan has a lot to prove before he can be considered a future ace (and once again fuck you Shawn L. for trading in front of me and taking Bumgarner last year). So the sense I got was that it was time to do something dramatic, and I saw the opportunity in this deal. I love Derrek Holland, and I'm excited to add Gerald D. Posey to the fold as I'm not convinced Doumit will stick at catcher long term. 4th overall shouldn't be too hard for everyone to figure out who I'm after, and he's a nice piece too. At the end of the day I'm trading a top #2 pitcher (which was my secret honest evaluation of Haren) for three top 50 prospects, which sounds like a pretty good way to replenish my future. I have faith that Brett Myers can come close to the numbers Haren has put up, and Gil Meche is not too bad himself. We'll probably get usable projections from Mulvey, Big Mark (who actually outperformed his DMB projection), Garrison, and maybe Boggs and Mortensen, and there may be more deals on the way. Meanwhile I like the future a little better now. That being said, if anyone wants to knock my socks off for either pick or Holland, do it up...
Giants

Post by Giants »

Royals Receive

Randy Winn
Michael 7-Taylor

A's Receive
JD Drew

This one hurt, two players I was really emotionally attached to (Winn is the only Santa Clara Bronco of note in MLB and Taylor was a Stanford guy and my 2007 Chris Davis Memorial breakout find), but getting JD Drew gives me a legitimate heart of the order with three 870+ OPS hitters at the heart of it, and with a couple more tweaks could be the best lineup in the division, giving me a much better shot at a third straight division crown. I'll be crying my eyes out when Taylor turns into Ryan Howard though.

Return to “#torture”