Giants 2016 Draft Notes

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Giants 2016 Draft Notes

Post by Giants »

1-30 - Carter Kieboom SS - Nationals 9/3/97

The champs are here. I really wanted Lazarito here, and when he went at 22 I started looking for other guys like (in order) Josh Lowe (who reminds me of Kaleb Cowart, which as I recall worked out fantastically), Dakota Hudson, and Gavin Lux. Whoops. I finally settled on Kieboom because he's a consensus top 10 in the Nationals system (3 for KLaw, 4 for Sickels, 6 for BP, and 8 for BA) and there's not much to not like about him, and he's got about a 70 grade name (not a full 80 because the spelling is a little off and frankly Carter is kind of a dumb name). He's a big dude, so there's a non zero chance he's a 3B long term, when the Nats get sick of Murphy's defense at 2nd and move Rendon back there it should be just in time for my dude, or he'll stick at SS and be A-Rod cause why not

2-30 - Hudson Sanchez Potts SS - Padres 10/28/1998

Really thought about him at 30 knowing it was early, but ultimately decided Kieboom had too much value to pass up, Potts having the underslot questions and all that. Felt like one of those guys I knew would be an overdraft but then I'd miss out on. When he was sitting there at 60 I had to jump. Here's the thing: say what you will about AJ Preller as a human being, a strategist, or anything else, when he was with the Rangers they put together this crazy collection of young talent. He seemed to be the one guy on Potts before the draft, and then there was a whole lot of seemingly positive noise about him after he debuted. He's probably a pure 3B, but he's got a good bat with legit power potential, and he's a full year younger than his draft class which I believe is a very real thing (13 months younger than Kieboom!). If both he and Carter work out we'll figure out a way to share 3B between them. Name grade is unfortunately fringy, like maybe a 45+ on a good day. Sanchez is a much cooler name than Potts and Hudson makes Carter sound like a badass, though it's still better than Hunter or Kyle.

3-30: Reggie Lawson RHP - Padres 8/2/1997

This is a pure lottery ticket. The Padres used the money they saved signing Potts to sign Mason Thompson (65+ grade name) and this dude. People will argue that Lawson (who is raw as can be) might have been better served by going to college, he took the $1.9 Million and went to the AZL, which is what I would have done too. Not much in the way of results (only threw 8 innings), supposedly was dealing with an oblique strain during his high school season and the Padres say you should look as those results more like rehab, so we'll see. Potential for a #2 starter here and to get that at pick 90 is not so terrible. As far as the name? It'd be 80 if he were an outside linebacker, as a pitcher I'll give it a 60.

5-25: Tommy Edman SS - Cardinals 5/9/1995

Really? I know he's like an average sized dude, but we're talking about a guy who walked almost 2x as often as he struck out in his professional debut in the NYPL, plays a solid SS and should be a plus 2B, and in his first exposure to wood bats he hit as many home runs as he did his entire college career with aluminum. Oh, and he switch hits and was 19-23 on steals. He's the kind of grinder the Cardinals love, and they've had success with Piscotty in fixing the "Stanford Swing". Super sleeper here for a grinding college infielder, the bat will determine whether he turns into a real stud but the floor is probably Daniel Descalso which would be a great get from a 5th round pick.
Last edited by Giants on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: Giants 2016 Draft Notes

Post by Guardians »

Giants wrote:I really wanted Lazarito here
I like this line. I'm also going to ignore your ill-advised comparison of Josh Lowe to Kaleb Cowart and then also bring back up that you also liked Hudson, so all three of my first round picks. Even if they all bust, I'm happy that perhaps you had three almost consecutive moments of disappointment :)
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Re: Giants 2016 Draft Notes

Post by Athletics »

Giants wrote:1-30 - Carter Kieboom SS - Nationals 9/3/97

The champs are here. I really wanted Lazarito here, and when he went at 22 I started looking for other guys like (in order) Josh Lowe (who reminds me of Kaleb Cowart, which as I recall worked out fantastically).

…………………./´¯/)
………………..,/¯../
………………./…./
…………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`·¸
………./’/…/…./……./¨¯\
……..(‘(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
………\……………..’…../
……….”…\………. _.·´
…………\…………..(
…………..\………….\…
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW

Return to “#torture”