Giants Top 10 Prospects For 2016

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Giants Top 10 Prospects For 2016

Post by Giants »

Subject to change, but don't feel like going to bed yet so I'll see what I can come up with here. I appreciate the ranking services but I'm ignoring them.

1. Alex Blandino SS Reds - Last player I drafted last year and a really pleasant surprise. I didn't understand why he fell to me at 61 but I'm not complaining. Smashed the FSL to the tune of a 148 wRC+ then held his own in a promotion to AA (111 wRC+) in 138 AA plate appearances. Actually got a moderately usable projection depending on platoon splits and position ratings. They're keeping him at SS for now but no reason to think he won't just slide into Brandon Phillips spot in a couple years

2. Michael Kopech RHP Red Sox - Aggressive ranking, but I buy the #2 starter or better potential. The suspension hurts, but at the same time it kept his innings down without an injury. I really like him, he might be pitching in A+ as a 20 year old next year

3. Michael Matuella RHP Rangers - If it weren't for the TJ and associated concerns he'd be number one on this list. But I also never would have had a shot at him either. This ranking seems about right given the uncertainty, though some of you might be ranking him #1 in my system and I wouldn't blame you. Hoping he's there by this time next year.

4. Tyler Goeddel OF Phillies - Another aggressive ranking (there are other guys in this system the ratings folks like better) but he's hit at every level and he's got a shot at a starting job in the major leagues next year. What more can you want?

5. Justus Sheffield LHP Indians - A teenager in full season ball who pitched to a 2.99 FIP in 127.2 innings in his fullseason debut who strikes out more than a batter per inning, keeps a reasonable walk rate, and oh yeah throws with his left hand? Yes please. May move him up over Goeddel.

6. Max Pentecost C Blue Jays - Lost last year to injury. We'll have to see how he bounces back, but all the things I liked about him are still true, and I think he'd have been the top catcher drafted this year so I think he belongs on this list.

7. Monte Harrison RF Brewers - Bummer bummer bummer. He was challenged with an aggressive promotion to full season ball and it was not great, he clearly wasn't ready. The Brewers sent him down to the Pioneer League where he started to rip the ball, and just as he was really heating up he broke his ankle. A break is better than a sprain and hopefully he makes the full recovery, all the upside is still there but this year will be important.

8. Jalen Miller SS Giants - Toolshed, clearly overmatched in rookie ball. BP loved him and ranked him #4 in the system, he didn't crack BA's top 10, we'll see where Sickels puts him. He's top 10 in this system this year, and could be way higher or off the team at this time next year.

9. Justin O'Conner C Rays - Yes I went dumpster diving, thanks Pat! O'Conner had a breakout year in 2014 in A+ and then really didn't hit much in 2015 in AA. Thing is, he had to learn how to catch. You can't learn how to catch and hit AA pitching when you're 2 years younger than league average at the same time. With Hank Conger only under contract through 2017 O'Conner has some time to figure it out, looking forward to seeing what happens.

10. Chris Flexen RHP Mets - Tommy John survivor who has only put up awesome numbers when he pitches except for the few starts before his arm popped in 2014. Obviously that hasn't been always, but reports say he looked back when he pitched in 2015, he's still young, and the Mets have a pretty solid recent history developing pitchers. He doesn't turn 22 until July and he should pitch this year at A+, really excited to see what he does.

Sleeper Alert - Joan Gregorio RHP Giants - People seem to have missed that in July the Giants AA squad gave Gregorio Kyle Crick's spot in the rotation (how weird is that thought, by the way?). He responded by throwing up a 2.28 ERA and striking out 38 in 43 IP as a starter. He's always had the stuff, the question was durability and (at 6'7") repeating his delivery. Still a reasonable chance he ends up in the bullpen or washing out entirely, but there's some real upside here.

HM: Jarrett Parker, Yoan Lopez, Miguel Flames, Hunter Cole

DisHM: Roberto Baldoquin - d'oh!
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

We got 1! Michael Kopech at 98 on the BP list that was just released. It hurt to see Devers and Alford in the top 50, would like my system a lot better if I had two top 50 guys, but that Arrieta guy worked out OK so that trade is looking like win/win
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551

Return to “#torture”