Jake's 2014 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - NL West

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Jake's 2014 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - NL West

Post by Giants »

Gotta keep plugging through. Westward ho!

Diamondbacks

Strengths
Very interesting lineup. Not sure what to make of Teixeira's projection (in my mind a leading contender for largest gap between projection and real life performance for a guy who's going to start for a contender when he's healthy), but the sim is based on projections, so it's all good. Very interesting rotation. Mat Latos is probably my least favorite human being in baseball, but the rotation is still solid top to bottom, if you ignore that the fifth starter is going to miss half the year because he tripped over a dog.

Weaknesses
This giant weakness got created when Aroldis Chapman took that line drive to the face. Hope he's OK and back throwing soon, Mark Melancon just doesn't quite have the same ring to him.

Bottom Line
The early favorite for the division.

Dodgers

Strengths
The league doesn't run without Shawn. That should be acknowledged here. Also, if they're healthy, playing, and unjuiced this team has some thunder in the lineup with Bautista and Braun. The bullpen is a real strength, Greg Holland is a stud, and Luke Hochevar is good, so is Crow. Really, the real life Royals are awesome at bullpens. Who knew?

Weaknesses
Depth. The next best hitter after Joey Bats and the Hebrew Steroid is probably Kyle Seager. After him you get Russell Martin. After him you get who? post PED Peralta I guess? Also, bummer, this rotation looked a lot more interesting before Jarrod Parker and Brandon Beachy had to visit Dr. Andrews. Sucks.

Bottom Line
Looks like another year hovering around .500 for the team, but expecting another year of almost 100% uptime for the league.

Gigantes

Strengths
Nils is always trying, I think I get more unsolicited trade proposals from than any other GM in the league, which can only be a good thing (send me Trevor Bauer already!). There is quite a bit of talent here, especially arms, and quite a bit of it is out with injury (Harvey, Medlen, Anderson eventually).

Weaknesses
Is there a team in the league with more washout top prospects? Obviously I think Bauer has a future but he's slipped, and this team also has Jake Arrieta, Mike Olt, Danny Duffy, Manny Banuelos, Dustin Ackley, Jemile Weeks. Yikes!

Bottom Line
This team is very well positioned for 2015 when Harvey and Medlen come back and you start to have a really serious rotation. This year is not time.

Padres

Strengths
Lots of prospects that you've all heard of, and eventually Manny Machado is gonna play here too. Not sure what Reddick is doing here though...

Weaknesses
Bren generally...

Bottom Line
Check it out Z... This is your future!

Rockies

Strengths
Desire for Giancarlo Stanton. That's a good start. Also 2 of the top 3 major league hitters named Adam (Jones and Lind) should send humidor'd balls out of Coors all year, with Javier Baez perhaps joining them sooner than we all thought. The rotation is fun, if old and fat in front with Colon and Dickey, and we're all hoping Lincecum is OK after that line drive to the knee yesterday

Weaknesses
There's a pretty random collection of players here, Rafael Furcal? Really?

Bottom Line
I'm not sure if this team is trying to rebuild or contend, but I bet it's a fun locker room.

Projected Standings
1. Diamondbacks - WS Contender
--
2. Rockies - just outside of contention
3. Dodgers - Top 15 pick
4. Braves - Top 15 Pick
5. Padres - Top 5 Pick

Sorry AL West, going to have to wait til tomorrow for the preview (but one guess who's going to be my pick to win the thing!)
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Who knew the Braved switched to the NL West.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

He also has the Blue Jays taking 4th and 5th in the ALE. I wonder if he does that to see if we're paying attention?
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

Orioles wrote:He also has the Blue Jays taking 4th and 5th in the ALE. I wonder if he does that to see if we're paying attention?
Well if I'm not gonna win at least I can try and do something that hasn't been done before.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

BlueJays wrote:
Orioles wrote:He also has the Blue Jays taking 4th and 5th in the ALE. I wonder if he does that to see if we're paying attention?
Well if I'm not gonna win at least I can try and do something that hasn't been done before.
Bishop lives...
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Tigers wrote:
BlueJays wrote:
Bishop lives...
It IS Opening Day...
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Bingo, seems like those are the only comments these are generating, hopefully real baseball will make things stop being dead around here. Working on the last one now.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Apparently, all it took was Opening Day and this forum exploded.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Twins wrote:Apparently, all it took was Opening Day and this forum exploded.
I think the winter sucked too much to get excited about baseball.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Orioles wrote:
Twins wrote:Apparently, all it took was Opening Day and this forum exploded.
I think the winter sucked too much to get excited about baseball.
Wait...Cano and Jay-Z weren't enough for you??!

Return to “#torture”