A's 2013 Draft Notes

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

A's 2013 Draft Notes

Post by Giants »

1.26 Chris Anderson - RHP Dodgers
After Z took Renfroe I had two guys on the top of my list, Anderson and McKinney, and 2 picks before my turn. I was hoping that Dan or Nils would make it easy for me and take one but not both. Unfortunately I got stuck between the two and went with my gut over my heart on Anderson. Logan White has a pretty good reputation with SP (perhaps undeserved, when was the last one to pan out besides Kershaw?), and I'm always leery about corner outfielders who don't project serious power. It was a little gratifying to see Levine take McKinney right after me, so I know I had his value pegged correctly. It's worth noting that the last two years with me picking in the latter part of the first round the guy immediately after my pick in 2011 was George Springer and in 2012 was Yasiel Puig, so when McKinney breaks out this year I expect a very nice thank you note from Mr. Levine.

However, I love the helium Anderson has had going into the draft. After pitching a ton in college this year the Dodgers only limited him to less than 50 IP, but he had them in full season ball and more than held his own, striking out 50 in 46 IP. He walked a few too many, which I'm hoping is a product of fatigue, but I buy into the story here. He could start next year in A+ and fits in with Julio Urias and Zach Lee to give the Dodgers a nice trio of arms they don't really have room for in the short run because they're paying Kershaw, Greinke, Beckett, Billingsley, etc. I do believe Anderson will move fast, and my system is becoming a little pitching heavy but that's OK. He instantly becomes my 3rd or 4th best prospect behind Bogaerts, Bradley, and possibly Vogelbach if that's your thing.

2.26 Rafael Devers-3B Red Sox

Huge sigh of relief when Brett got the International ball rolling with Eloy instead of Devers at 50. Eloy is also a badass prospect, but I'm so enamored of the Robinson Cano comps for Devers that I've been holding my breath on him for the last 15 picks or so. Obviously we're talking lottery tickets here, but I've read the same kind of Instructs reports on Devers (particularly about bat speed) that I read about Xander three years ago, and obviously that turned out pretty well. Unfortunately Devers was a bonus baby so no chance of finding him just hanging out as a free agent next Christmas like what happened with the X-Man. Major cognitive bias and he's obviously forever away, but I'm really excited about a guy who could be a really elite bat.

3.26 Dylan Covey - RHP Gritty Gutty A's

You all might remember that Covey was the first round pick of the Brewers in 2010. He was then diagnosed with diabetes and went to college while trying to figure out how to manage it. According to the A's scouting team Covey finally started to recover the skills that made him a first round pick by the end of this season, and he showed he was certainly way ahead of the A- curve by striking out 15 in 12 innings across 4 starts while allowing only 10 baserunners. He appeared to run out of gas after a promotion to full season A, but the reports on the stuff seem good and to get a first round talent at the end of the 3rd round is worth taking a gamble on in this format.

4.26 Chris Kohler - LHP Gritty Gutty A's

I very nearly took Kohler in the 3rd round, was really happy to get him in the 4th. Funny, I was planning to only take bats this year, maybe I'm overcompensating for passing on McKinney with A's picks. I love love love Kohler as an upside play, however. The 6'3 lefty added some velocity this year and has room for more, he's also super young, having turned 18 just a month before draft day. Kohler dominated the AZL, striking out 32 in 22 innings after signing. Low 90's fastball, supposedly already has a changeup working, and scouts seem to think his curveball could be a plus pitch too. A long way away and a lottery ticket, but I really like his potential.

5.26 Japhet Amador - 1B Astros

First of all, I was going to take a chance on a foreigner signing here. It was going to be Diaz (d'oh!), or Yoon (double d'oh!) before settling on Amador. Come on, you all knew I was taking the 300 pound guy with the power and without the defensive position, that's always been my MO. Obviously huge question marks about whether Amador can adjust to MLB pitching after feasting in the Mexican League, but he didn't look completely lost in the Fall League and it's only Brett Wallace and Chris Carter standing in his way for a shot at the starting DH job this year, so I'm a little surprised he lasted this long, thanks rest of the league! This could be a wasted pick (as most fifth rounders are) but it should be fun to see where he goes and we'll get a quick answer.

EDIT: IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT THE NAME JAPHET AMADOR TRANSLATES INTO SOMETHING LIKE "EXPANSIVE LOVER"

THIS IS AWESOME

6.26 LB Dantzler - 1B Toronto Blue Jays

I figured I might as well grab one more guy and have some buffer in case Amador is my clean up hitter this year (a guy can dream right?). Dantzler is kind of a weird profile, but he hit the shit out of the ball in A- showing power and patience. Might have lightning in a bottle here.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Giants

Re: A's 2013 Draft Notes

Post by Giants »

Seems like a good time to revisit the last few drafts

1.26 Chris Anderson - RHP Dodgers
- Decent first year in the system, survived the Cal league in his full season debut, most important number to me pitching in that environment was that he struck out more than a batter per inning, showing he could miss bats even in the IE craziness. Assuming he gets promoted to AA next year, in what should be a slightly moore realistic pitching environment.

2.26 Rafael Devers-3B Red Sox
- Lottery ticket looking good so far, put up video game numbers in a DSL cameo while waiting for a visa issue to be resolved, then a more than respectable .312/.374/.484 slash line in the GCL with 16 XBH in 157 AB. Will play all of next year at age 18 and may even get a shot at full season ball.

3.26 Dylan Covey - RHP Gritty Gutty A's
OK in low A, got knocked around in the Cal League, has a lot to prove this year.

4.26 Chris Kohler - LHP Gritty Gutty A's
Out with shoulder problems, cut

5.26 Japhet Amador - 1B Astros
Yeah that didn't work, but, the guy I wanted with this pick was Aledmys Diaz who I was able to grab as a free agent, so we'll just pretend that's who I got here. Diaz hit well in 3 levels but has had some injury problems. We'll see.

6.26 LB Dantzler - 1B Toronto Blue Jays
Cut pretty quick. Flier

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Chris Andersen - Hanging out somewhere between 11-20 in various Dodgers prospect lists, still has a chance to be a starter but also may end up in the bullpen, should start the year in AAA and it'll be make or break for a guy who turns 24 in July.

Rafael Devers - Red Sox top 5 prospect who I traded to Nils for Jake Arrieta. Quite happy with that one.

Dylan Covey- Cut.

Chris Kohler - Re-signed after he got healthy, good K/BB ratio in NWL in first action in more than a year. Willing to take a flier and see how he does next year.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

What us this double posting, you wanted out of the easy AL west and now are still posting like you are the A's...this is Nil's team now ;)
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Giants

Post by Giants »

That phrase doesn't mean what you think it means :D

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Giants wrote:That phrase doesn't mean what you think it means :D
Drunk me read it as the same stuff you posted under the Giants thread...so whatever.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW

Return to “#torture”