Jake's 2013 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - AL East

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Jake's 2013 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - AL East

Post by Giants »

Onto the grownup league, let's start with the division formerly known as the Beast

Blue Jays

Strengths
Is Cliff Lee good anymore? Zips seems to think so. Can't ever count out a guy with a legit ace.Yunel Escobar can't be a locker room cancer in pretend baseball, and while his struggled last year dropped his projection some he's still a useful piece. I also like the pen perhaps more than I should.

Weaknesses
Pat's always liked the power and plate discipline kind of thing, and he's got a few guys with power from the left side, the problem is that these guys like Pena seem to be done as real hitters. Granderson is a real hitter but he's out. Besides Lee who else starts games?

Bottom Line
On the one hand I want to say this team is done, on the other hand I've felt that way about Pat's teams for the last few years and yet he keeps staying relevant. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Orioles

Strengths
Steven inherited a Mt. Everest like project when he took over the Orioles in 2009, and we're in year 4 of what could be a 10 year rebuild considering the strength of the division. Something might be starting to take shape here, with Jose Fernandez and Shelby Miller looking like studs and Michael Pineda maybe coming back from a shoulder injury. Some nice prospects on the way in the lineup with Zunino, Rendon, and Kyle Parker.

Weaknesses
Did you guys know that lots of times prospects don't work out? Looking up and down the Orioles roster I see a lot of highly touted guys that never worked out, starting at the top with the infamous Lars Anderson, and including at least half a dozen more depending on who you're ready to give up on.

Bottom Line
I mention the above because this team has some serious ceiling a couple of years from now, with a lot of risk too. Steven's built a lottery ticket, which is about the only way to compete here.

Rays

Strengths
There's a lot to like in the lineup, with Ellsbury, Choo, and roid inflated Melky Cabrera making a solid outfield and Billy Butler and E5 providing more thunder. Also there's some guy named Votto who this previewer has expressed strong feelings about previously.

Weaknesses
Someone has to pitch. Jered Weaver is dunzo for awhile after his injury, Ricky Romero stinks now, Gavin Floyd kinda stinks now... you get the picture.

Bottom Line
The Rays should be able to score runs with anyone in the league, hopefully they will figure out how to prevent them as well.

Red Sox

Strengths
If Steven is looking for inspiration he should look no further than Pat #2 in his division, who took an awful roster and with patience built a very strong all around team. A deep pitching staff, led by David Price, the ageless Tim Hudson, and Ricky Nolasco. The lineup is also quite deep, with Jay Bruce, Ryan Zimmerman, David Ortiz, and Jayson Werth a nice core.

Weaknesses
I don't think I trust this bullpen one bit. Huge bummer to lose Venters, who was definitely the best pitcher down there, going down for who knows how long. Marmol and Hanrahan are shaky. Pat #2 still has a decent stock of prospects so there may be a trade here.

Bottom Line
It's not exactly the A-Rod and Pujols in their primes plus 3 aces juggernaut that JB used to have, but this might be my favorite non-gritty gutty team in the AL, and one of the favorites for the pennant.

Yankees

Strengths
Though the list isn't as long as used to be, Harper+Pujols+Mauer+Felix+CC+etc.

Weaknesses
Age/suckiness is starting to catch up with this team. It would be hard to call A-Rod, Josh Hamilton, and Jeter weaknesses, but I mean they kind of are. Looks like Roy Halladay is on the downslope too.

Bottom Line
Underestimate JB at your own risk, but the glory days look like they might be slipping away here. That being said, if JB sneaks into the playoffs it's hard to argue with the top of that rotation.

Ranking Projection

1. Red Sox
2. Yankees
3. Blue Jays
4. Rays
5. Orioles

Up next: AL Central
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551