Jake's 2013 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - NL East

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Jake's 2013 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - NL East

Post by Giants »

What with the first db coming out all of a sudden I'd better pick up the pace here. Without further ado the NL East

Braves

Strengths
Umm... boy would Bryce Harper look nice in this lineup... Pedroia is certainly a legit lineup anchor, Sale is pretty solid at the top of the rotation. There's a fair number of legitimate big leaguers on the roster, but I mean I'm not seeing all that much here that could be called a "strength"

Weaknesses
Not really sure what direction this team is heading in. It's a pretty big insult to the injury of the Harper trade that the Mariners drafted Zunino and will thus be moving Montero off of catcher and crippling his value. Hedges and Mazara will really have to break out for this lineup to have a future

Bottom Line
I don't really get it with this team. The good news is that this team is better than the Nationals, but that's about all that can be said for it.

Marlins

Strengths
The Marlins are the class of this division with serious star power at the top. Verlander anchors a solid pitching staff and Tulowitzki (if healthy) is a legit stud. The rest of the rotationm with Buehrle, Cahill, and Scherzer is enviable, and the lineup also includes some nice names (who seem to be getting nice projections perhaps one year more than they should) like Morneau and Crawford, with Wil Myers coming up in reserve.

Weaknesses
I guess you say depth. The bullpen is actually fairly deep but doesn't have the lefties? The more I look at this team the more I like it.

Bottom Line
This might be the most complete team in the National League. My how things change in a couple of days, if there are complications with Greinke's return from his broken collarbone he could catch JP for the #1 record, and in a playoff series you can't count out the team with Verlander.

Mets

Strengths
This is another weird team. John has been up front that he's never wanted to do a full rebuild with his IBC team, and that's his right, but there aren't much in the way of building blocks. David Wright, however, is such a building block, and the 1-2 punch of Josh Johnson and Ian Kennedy is pretty solid.

Weaknesses
I always get weirded out when I see an NL team with multiple DHs, but here come the Mets with Morse and Bay. Never a good sign. Also a pretty random bullpen, and the team will definitely need help from that end.

Bottom Line
Was really surprised to see the Anibal Sanchez trade (shrewd move by Pat), this team seems like it's mired in mediocrity and I'm not sure how it gets out in the short run, wonder what it'll take to get John to actually rebuild.

Nationals

Strengths
#1 Pick potential. Likely to lead the league in fewest players used. That's about it.

Weaknesses
Major league players

Bottom Line
Z should find himself in a spirited race with Aaron for first place in the draft standings.

Phillies

Strengths
I suppose if anyone is going to be challenging Dan it'll be Nick's bunch. The rotation is pretty sneaky good with Samardzija at the top and solid competence 1-5, which might be all that it takes to compete for the WC in the National League. McCutchen and Freeman are as a good a one-two punch as you'll see outside of Pittsburgh as well.

Weaknesses
Hoover is nice but unproven as a stopper, and the bullpen needs more depth especially from the left side. Another bat might be nice to really solidify a team for the stretch run.

Bottom Line
There's talent here, and Nick's made a nice little rebuild. Not sure this team is competitive for the top spot this year, but I like some chunks of the core and he should compete for a playoff spot.

Ranking Projection

1. Marlins
2. Phillies
3. Mets
4. Braves
5. Nationals

Up next: AL East
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551