Jake's 2013 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - NL West

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Jake's 2013 Arbitary Spring Training Preview - NL West

Post by Giants »

It's been a few years since I've done this, and it seems like we're overdue. For those of you unfamiliar with the format, we'll go team by team looking at lineups and pitching staffs, followed by my arbitrary opinion on how the division races shape up. We aren't covering farm systems at all, so if I savage your team and you don't think I'm fair to your awesome farm system, well deal with it. If you've posted a lineup I'll use it, if not I'll guess at it from your roster (sometimes with hilarious consequences). We'll start with the NL West and go from there

DBacks

Strengths: I like the top of the rotation, which is very important in Arizona. The lineup also has quite a bit of thunder (assuming Justin Upton sticks around), with 20+ home run potential in all spots, which should really play up in Arizona. The bullpen is deep with the kind of guys who tend to be useful in a sim context even as their real life value tanks (e.g. Melancon and Bailey, stupid Red Sox trying to trade for closers).

Weaknesses: Rotation depth, yikes! Chapman should be really nice, if his arm and command can handle moving up in workload. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Liriano, jeez who knows, and Chacin is a nice 5th starter but at least this year probably doesn't give you anything more. Derek Holland is the depth and seems spectacularly unsuited to pitching in Arizona (want to send him back to Oakland)?

Dodgers

Strengths: Outfield corners, assuming a healthy Bautista this year he and Braun should provide plenty of thunder. Also looks like one more good year out of Torii Hunter, though I can't imagine he'll really be able to play CF. Overall there aren't that many holes in the lineup, but no one special after the big 2.

Weaknesses: Are there going to be 5 healthy starting pitchers on this roster come opening day? Carpenter is a huge loss, and who knows what will happen with Beachy. It sounds like bad news in the long run that the Dodgers are considering keeping Ted Lilly ahead of Hyun-Jin Ryu in the rotation for now, though he should be able to get at least one decent year out of him like I got out of Dr. Kei Igawa back in the day (I believe he threw the first perfecto in IBC history). Anyway, Shawn, program yourself a pitching staff!

Giants

Strengths: After sending some really ominous signs Jason Heyward seems ready to resume his place as the centerpiece of Nils' lineup going forward. Assuming he's recovered from his kidnapping/ACL injury Wilson Ramos is also a plus at catcher.

Weaknesses: The rest of the lineup and the pitching staff. In the long run Hosmer+Olt should make for a nice corner tandem, but they aren't there yet, and looks like youngsters like Aaron Hicks will be playing a year too early as well. A lot of pitching talent on the shelf, as guys like Neftali Feliz and Rich Harden (circa 2004 but whatever).There's hope here if the prospects pan out, but it's a bummer that formerly touted prospects Mike Montgomery and Manny Banuelos aren't contributing to the rotation this year as would have been expected. Team in transition, we'll see what happens.

Padres

Strengths - Potential for #1 pick, that's about it. There's the makings of a nice young infield with Middlebrooks, Machado, Kipnis, and Rizzo, that's probably a couple years away from its peak.

Weaknessses: This isn't a major league team, no point in dwelling on that. Hopefully another year or two of high picks and player development will get Bren into contention in this division.

Rockies

Strengths - Front of the rotation with RA Dickey and Tim Lincecum, and Fatolo Colon will also provide something I think. Offensively the ballpark is a strength, as a mediocre lineup will play up.

Weaknesses: Ability to trade for Giancarlo Stanton (keep after it Levine!), seriously though the lineup looks pretty thin. Jones is a legit hitter, and I'm sure Hunter Pence will motivate the shit out of everyone, but I'm not sure how many runs this team scores outside of Coors. Hopefully help for the rotation will be on the way soon with Wheeler, but the idea of Zito pitching in Coors regularly scares me.

Ranking Projection

1. DBacks
2. Giants
3. Dodgers
4. Rockies
5. Padres

Up next: NL Central
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Good stuff, thanks for doing this!
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Agree, spot on regarding my team.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Missed this when it was posted.
You missed Sano and d'arnaud in mentioning the merits of my infield though.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

d'Arnaud's never going to play it looks like :D
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551

Return to “#torture”