A's 2012 Draft Notes

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

A's 2012 Draft Notes

Post by Giants »

1.25(25) Andrew Heaney LHP - I'm pretty stoked to find a such a solid pick this late. I was planning on a lottery ticket and instead I got a really nice piece. I've read Mark Buehrle and Jamie Moyer as comps for Heaney's ceiling and the ballpark should play to his strength. Considering the dearth of real players in the Marlins system I expect him to move quickly and be a member of the rotation by 2014.

2.25(55) Zach Eflin RHP - Leaving Eflin on the board for me was kind of all of you, thought he'd be gone by 55. If Heaney is a "safer" high school arm Eflin is a lottery ticket. The two things that I really like about him are the advanced change up and great reports about make-up, which I really value especially for lottery ticket young kids (Stanton and Bogaerts are the two best examples). A potential rotation of Crick/Heaney/Eflin could look really nice around 2017

3.25(85) Patrick Wisdom 3B - So I went high school arms with my first two picks, and was thinking about another kid. Wisdom totally slipped my mind and I read his name somewhere, which jogged my memory. I like the Mike Olt comps as upside, good solid player with a good solid debut. 3B is a pretty crowded position for me on the farm with Bogaerts (I'd like to believe he'll be a Tejada/HanRam esque SS but 3B is more realistic) and three lottery tickets in Harrison, Rodriguez, and Nunez, but an advanced lower risk college bat this late in the 3rd round is an easy win. It'll be really interesting to see ends up being the long term 3B for the real Cardinals.

4. Via Trade Walker Weickel RHP - I was really torn between Eflin and Weickel for my second round pick, but I ultimately decided ceiling over floor and went with Eflin. I really like the idea of a 1-2 punch in the same system, and the Padres look like they are figuring player development out to a degree. Really excited to see Weickel and Eflin get their start next year, hopefully in full season ball.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Giants

Post by Giants »

Reviews updates and such for 2013

1. Andrew Heaney - Really great start, high floor prospect, traded to Seattle for Pablo Sandoval. Yasiel Puig was the next pick. Whoops. Heaney has a nice high floor, not sure about the ceiling but a good player.

2. Zach Eflin - Really turned it on after getting knocked around in April, 2.25 ERA in May, 2.57 in June, 2.40 in July and a stellar 1.54 in August. Lower strikeout totals then you'd like to see but I think he has a future.

3. Patrick Wisdom - Hoping for a little Olt-ishness, but Olt fell apart too. Wisdom has plenty of power, a little patience, and a lot of swing and miss ish ness. Traded with Ryan Vogelsong (like 3 days pre injury) to Cincinnati for Chris Stratton (who I really wanted with my #1) and sim stud Travis Blackley

4. Walker Weickel - Acquired via trade because Nick took him out from under me. Traded Brandon Maurer to Nick for Weickel and Jeff Ames, a whole mess of decent pitching prosepcts in that one though Weickel was not so good this year. Next year will be make or break for him, especially if they have him repeat the MWL.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

We'll update these one draft at a time

Unfortunately this is a boring one because none of these guys are still on the team. Heaney went in the Sandoval trade, Eflin went in the Edwin Escobar trade and then Escobar went to Detroit in the Jaso trade and then Jaso got concussed. The other guys didn't amount to much.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97

Return to “#torture”