Yet Another Time Waster -AKA- The A's Top However Many List

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Yet Another Time Waster -AKA- The A's Top However Many List

Post by Giants »

I'm calling this the top however many list because I haven't decided how many prospects are going on it at this point. My system is full of a lot of speculative types right now, and as always these are my arbitrary opinions. I'd also suspect I'm higher on everyone in my system than anyone else is. But that worked out with Mike Stanton so... Looks like I have 11 top prospects and then clumps of a certain type.

1. Xander Bogaerts SS Red Sox: Clearly the best prospect in my system (probably the only consensus top 100 at this point), I expect he'll be in the heart of my order one day soon.

2. Liam Hendriks RHP Twins: Should be in the Twins rotation next year, pretty meh through 4 MLB starts but terrific command, more K's than you'd think, and lot's of ground balls. Should be a mid-rotation mainstay given the chance.

3. JJ Hoover RHP Braves: Hurts that the Braves put him in the pen, he'd be a starter in almost any other system, but he's got a good arm, strikes out a ton of batters and should be a beast given the opportunity.

4. Jorge Alfaro C Rangers: Yeah yeah yeah the strikeouts, the youth, all that, I'm all over #thelegend and couldn't care less, I think he'll be a superstar someday

5. Casey Crosby LHP: Not that long ago he was a top tier prospect, he seems to be healthy, and he's a 6'5 lefty who throws mid 90's heat with some secondary stuff. I suspect the command will be back in his second full season after injury and that he'll be in the Tigers rotation soon enough

6. Hector Sanchez C Giants: As I've told a few of you, I believe in the Giants track record with heavyset switch hitting catchers from Venezuela who jump from High A to the Majors in one season. On a serious note, the San Francisco brass really likes him, and with the plan to be cautious with Buster and NO ONE else ready to play in MLB next year I think he'll surprise.

7. Dan Vogelbach 1B Cubs: Speaking of heavyset. I'm sure I'm higher on him than anyone else in the league, but just you all wait :D

8. Blake Tekotte CF Padres: Nothing exciting, good solid high floor MLB contributor type prospect.

9. Kyle Crick RHP Giants: I know I drafted Bradley first, but the more I think about it and the more I read the more I like Crick. Can't wait to see him debut.

10. Jackie Bradley CF Red Sox: In my mind I'll always be comparing him with George Springer. Obviously doesn't have the same insane ceiling, but I think he's super underrated right now (that won't last long with the Red Sox). Comp in my mind (storyline not skills) is Bryce Brentz, taken by the Sox in the supplemental round, big name college guy who fell with questions marks, mashes, and this one plays a legit CF on top of it.

11. Tyler Anderson LHP Rockies: This guy should be mid rotation starter by the end of 2013, especially considering who the Rockies have in their rotation.

12. Good left handed pitching with question marks and awesome names: I've got 3 mostly interchangeable guys in this spot, Drake Britton, Colton Cain, and Josh Osich. Who knows what happened to Britton last year, Cain had a velo decline in the second half (pitched twice as many innings last year so was probably tired), Osich has some health questions. All three have huge ceilings and all three could be nothing (though Osich should at least be a solid reliever).

13. Lottery ticket right handed bats: Guys in this category include Jarek Cunningham, Chuckie Jones, Ty Linton, Dickie Thon, and Renato Nunez. Like the lefties above all have high ceilings and low floors. Cunningham is closest to the majors (22 home runs in the FSL last year, fell off down the stretch but in the context of the league his power was impressive), he had an ISO of .258 compared to a league average of .124 and he was age appropriate. Nunez takes Ynoa's place as Dominican prospect the A's paid a huge bonus to so he gets a spot on my team. Jones and Linton are huge future power guys, neither of whom have done a ton in the minors. Dickie Thon started hot, slowed down, but has great bloodlines and I think should rebound. Took a lot of walks which is a good sign

14. Erratic right handed pitchers: Kyle Heckathorn, Erik Goeddel, and Raul Alcantara COME ON DOWN! They get some love here too. Heckathorn and Goeddel (one for command reasons the other for health) should both be shortened down to high leverage relief. Alcantara has some good reports, and should certainly get a shot in Oakland to prove himself, though he'll likely have to fight the Cal league next year.

15. Everyone else: They should all get some love. Jake Skole showed plenty of patience but K'd too much, Jordan Shipers also started well than struggled with command and is too far away to really contemplate, Tyson Ross was awesome in the majors then struggled in AAA (weird), the real life A's got Ryan Cook in the Cahill deal and I think he has a shot to be the A's next useful bullpen find (but who knows), and that pretty much covers it on the prospect front.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551

Return to “#torture”