A's 2010 Draft stuff

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

A's 2010 Draft stuff

Post by Giants »

Pick #1 (36th) Jake Skole - So when I traded my pick to Stephen last year I did it figuring that Hecehevaria wouldn't last to 21 and that at 36 I could pick a high upside guy like Cecchini or at least fall back on a safer pick like Mike Olt. Of course all 3 guys went between 21 and 36 :D. Besides having an absolutely awesome name, we've been hearing some scouting reports comparing Skole favorably to Colby Rasmus. I like his upside and his profile, and he seems like the pick here. Hopefully between him and Tekotte I've settled CF for awhile.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Giants

Post by Giants »

Stephen just knocked the whole draft coverage thing out of the park, so I'm not trying to compete, just wanting to keep up with my own thinking.

Pick 2 (81) Chuckie Jones - I was really hoping Ovando or Wolters would fall to this spot, but they didn't, and honestly I'm not sure I don't like Chuckie more. He was the highest rated high schooler out of Missouri, though the only footage I could find of him was playing football he tore up the AZL (BA called him the 13th best prospect in the league whatever that's worth). Struck out a ton, walked a ton, hit for power, he's got some good reviews about his attitude and he's huge. Best case scenario he's Mike Stanton (who had exactly the same profile but not as much success in his debut) only with very good power instead of historic, worst case scenario he's any number of guys who couldn't translate tools into skills.

Pick 3 (84) Dickie Thon Jr. - First of all, who moves from the US to Puerto Rico? Dickie Thon Jr apparently. Obviously the bloodlines are there, signed for a huge bonus, people like his upside, I obviously wanted Hechevarria but he's not a sure thing and Thon could show up. Call it a gut feeling.

Pick 4 (126) Erik Goeddel - Really excited about this one. Goeddel went to elementary and middle school with my brother (and actually pussied out on playing on their 8th grade flag football team that I coached, said he didn't have time which I still don't believe). First person I know to get drafted and sign, so I had to have him. In any case, the kid has an arm, had he gone back to school he would have been in the rotation and arguably had a shot at going in the top 2 rounds in the 2011 draft. He's a TJ survivor and was really only healthy at the very end of last season, but his stuff is serious. Worst case scenario he's a power pen arm, I'm hoping he gets a chance to start.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Pick 5 (141) Mason Williams - I didn't plan on taking so many outfielders in this draft, but that's where I've seen the value so far. Williams is fast and skinny. Really skinny. He got the Yankees highest signing bonus in this draft class by a pretty good margin ($1,450,000 Culver was second at $954,000). The defense and speed are already there, and he has good disciplined plate approach. He looks like a good bet to fill out some, and could develop 15 HR power, the Yankees are probably seeing Carl Crawford as his ceiling and I'd certainly take that.

Pick 6 (171ish) Ty Linton - So thanks league for letting me have all the million dollar players. Linton had the highest bonus of any player drafted after round 6, and was the last pick to get a bonus over $1,000,000 (1.25 to be exact). He's a huge, powerful presence, was the top rated player out of North Carolina, and he was slated to play football and baseball at UNC. Instead he'll be laying the lumber for some DBacks rookie league team next year, plus he has an awesome highlight tape you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZq9X3rQo4. I'm actually really liking the bottom of this draft, I expect at least one of these high ceiling guys will give me something. Got a couple more on the horizon too.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Pick 7 Jordan Shipers - So for whatever it's worth I've got all of BA's top 3 late round signings (Linton was 1, Goeddel 2, and Shipers 3). Shipers is first of all my size and left handed, so I gotta be into that. More importantly, the Mariners gave him the same bonus they gave Taijuan Walker, and some publications even had Shipers rated ahead of Walker. He's sitting 88-90 and can dial it up to 92, and apparently has advanced secondary stuff for his age. The kid's high school didn't even have a baseball team, so he was playing in some community college league last year. Long road for a little lefty, but I'm in.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Pick 8 (231) Sam Tuivailala - Had to go local on this pick, Tuivailala was a 3 sport star at Aragon High School (3 blocks from me) and everyone expected him to go to Fresno State as a pitcher. Instead, he signed with the Cardinals to play shortstop. Like most Tongans (and he would be the first to make it to the show when he debuts), this kid is big, strong, and loves to play. He's 6'2 which is tall for a shortstop, and he may have to move to third as he fills out but he's got huge power potential and the bat should play fine. Like Stanton was (yes I'm trying to catch lightning in a bottle again between Jones, Linton, and Tui), he's a year younger than most seniors and will play all of next season at 18. He struggled in his GCL debut, but looking closely we see a walk rate of 18% and a stunningly low BABIP at .231. He may get a shot in full season ball next year but considering his age will more likely go to Batavia to start. He should be a lot of fun to watch next year.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

I'm kind of enjoying reading everyone's posts on past drafts, so I thought I'd see how I did. Certainly wish I'd skipped 2010 but whatever. Lots of lottery tickets in this draft, none of which panned out

1. Jake Skole CF TEX - Nope, couldn't hit for a couple years then got hit with a drug suspension. Zip zero zilch value

2. Chuckie Jones RF SF- Had a nice debut in the AZL, nice bonus, nice athletic profile, couldn't hit. Cut the next year.

3. Dickie Thon Jr. SS TOR - Again, great bloodlines, nice bonus, couldn't actually hit. Still hasn't made full season debut.

4. Erik Goeddel RHP NYM- I knew this guy when he was a kid, which got me very excited to draft him. Douche then, douche who can't get past AA now. Still has a shot maybe but doesn't look durable enough

5. Mason Williams CF NYY- Now here's one who panned out potentially. Broke out in 2012 after I traded him to Stephen for Hector Sanchez (who I still believe in if he can hold of Andrew Susac), then had an up and down year last year. Great talent, lots of question marks, but this was a 4th round pick can never argue with that.

6. Ty Linton RF AZ - Took the highest bonus baby left, Linton never could stay healthy and is out of baseball. Great power in HS

7. Jordan Shipers LHP SEA- Things haven't come together yet for Shipers, potential but did not pay off so far, hit around pretty good in the Cal League last year.

8. Sam Tuivailala SS STL - Bay Area guy who I coached against as a football player, turned out he couldn't hit, Cardinals have moved him to the mound, I moved on a couple years ago. May still have a future as a reliever.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97

Return to “#torture”