A's Prospect Notes

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I'm not really back, but I had to stop in and brag about Chris Davis topping the Hot Sheet, the first time I've ever had a player do that.
Giants

Post by Giants »

Welcome to the bigs Chris Davis, 2 home runs in 2 starts, not bad. We may never see Hank Blalock again.
Giants

Post by Giants »

It's been awhile since we did a good one of these. Chris Davis has been playing 1st for the Rangers for the last few weeks, he's got 8 XBH and an OPS over .900 in his first 47 major league at bats. Kid's gonna be a stud.

My pair of Phillies catching prospects Travis d'Arnaud and Sebastian Valle are tearing up their respective leagues. D'Arnaud, a 19 year old 2007 2nd rounder, drew raves for his defense in the GCL last year but wasn't really there with the bat. This year the bat has arrived, as he's hitting .342/.391/.474 after going 3-4 with 3 doubles and 4 RBI last night. D'Arnaud has 8 XBH in 76 AB, 7 doubles and a home run. Hopefully as he fills out those doubles will become home runs and he'll be even more valuable. The 17 year old Valle, who signed late in 2006 and made his DSL debut last year, has a much better track record with the bad than d'Arnaud. The lefty had an .802 OPS and more walks than strikeouts in the DSL last year, an impressive feat for a 16 year old. In his stateside debut Valle has hit .293/.328/.517 with 9 XBH in 58 ABs, and he's blistering righties to the tune of a 1.040 OPS against them. Obviously small sample size alerts for both guys, who are also blocked by former A's farmhand Lou Marson (oops, shouldn't have dropped him), but it'll be nice to have some catching depth behind Ryan Doumit.

Though there are bigger names, perhaps the most exciting pitcher in the A's system is MWL WHIP leader Jonathan Kibler, the 21 year old who in his full season debut is 8-3 with a 1.99 ERA and 0.83 WHIP to go along with a K:BB of nearly 4:1. The 6'5" lefty should get a shot to advance quickly in a Tigers system that was depleted by the Cabrera/Willis trade, and may see high A by the end of the year.

Despite his current first week of July slump, Michael Stanton is continuing an impressive debut for the Marlins in the SAL. The 18 year old is hitting .277/.341/.551 with 21 home runs. He may not stick in CF, but his arm is strong enough that he should at least be able to play right and his bat will definitely play in a corner OF spot.

Big V has been hitting a little better of late, crushing left handers to the tune of a .968 OPS. On the other hand he is struggling against righties still, and may need another year of development at Low A, especially as San Jose is such a poor environment for hitters. The future is still bright, when he hits the ball he hits it hard.

In his last start Blake Beavan showed more of his talent as he tossed 7 shutout innings allowing only 3 hits while striking out 5 and walking none. The prodigious strikeout totals haven't been there, but Beavan has shown terrific control and a decent ground ball ratio, and has been devastatingly effective to the tune of a 2.84 ERA, not bad for a 19 year old making his debut in full-season ball.

Fellow Rangers prospect John Mayberry rounds out this report, still holding his own in AAA, with the most important indicator being the drop in his strikeout rate, only 43 in 253 ABs after years of striking out as often as 33% of the time. I'm looking forward to his September callup.
Giants

Post by Giants »

The Astros have signed hard-throwing righthander Jack Tilghman, a 6-foot-2, 205-pounder from the Texarkana Gunslingers of the independent Continental Baseball League.

The Telford, Pa.., native and former Walters State Community College pitcher led the Continental Baseball League with 13 saves while compiling a 3-2 record and 1.30 ERA with 57 strikeouts over 41 2/3 innings.

Tilghman, 21, played on the Philadelphia Phillies' Gulf Coast League team last season, but he was a free agent by MLB standards before area scout Rusty Pendergrass uncovered him again in Texarkana.

"Rusty got word (Tilghman) was breaking 100-mph," Astros scouting director Bobby Heck said. "We had an area scout go see him and then Rusty saw him, and he was hitting 95-mph and 98-mph."

The Astros say Tilghman has an opportunity.
Just couldn't help myself. In other A's prospect news Warner Madrigal was electric in 3.2 innings of long relief against the Yankees, it was also the first time I'd seen him pitch, and I was wowed by his stuff, fastball sitting in the mid 90's and breaking stuff moving all over the place. The floor for him is probably Juan Cruz, who might have the best stuff in baseball but hasn't been able to put it together. The ceiling? Who knows.
Giants

Post by Giants »

A couple of cut and pastes from the hotsheet.

No. 5 MIKE STANTON, CF
MARLINS
Team: low Class A Greensboro (South Atlantic)
Why He's Here: .400/.438/.900 (12-for-30), 1 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 8 RBIs, 7 R, 3 BB, 4 SO
The Scoop: Stanton continued his assault on Sally League pitching with another four home runs this week, giving him 33 on the season and an outside chance at broaching Russell Branyan's SAL single-season record of 40. He's already set a Greensboro franchise record. And even though his home park is one of the league's coziest, Stanton has actually done more damage on the road, where his numbers are higher nearly across the board. He's been getting more selective as well, upping his walks and cutting his strikeouts as opponents have become increasingly wary of letting him beat them.

High Class A Clearwater LF Michael Taylor (Phillies) is continuing his breakout season. Taylor, 22, accumulated just 13 plate appearances this week, but made the most of them by batting .615/.615/1.538 (8-for-13) with three doubles and three home runs. His season line is now up to .346/.415/.542 between stops in low Class A Lakewood and Clearwater.
Giants

Post by Giants »

Lefty Jon Kibler has been absolutely lights out lately. In his last 10 starts Kibler is 8-1 with a 0.78 ERA and a 0.90 WHIP, giving him a 14-4 mark with a 1.63 ERA and 0.85 WHIP on the season (along with a K/BB of 4:1). He might be the second best pitching prospect in the system after Porcello. I post this because he's pitching for West Michigan tonight, check him out.

The only appropriate word for Michael Taylor is ricockulous. After struggling initially with a promotion to A+ in late June the big Stanford slugger went .347/.415/.537 in July is posting a sizzling .419/.453/.757 line for the month of August. He should get a shot in the AFL this winter, and if that goes well AA Reading and possibly the big show in mid-2009 (he certainly can't be worse than a lot of the slop the Phillies have put out in the outfield this season.

Looks like May's struggles are long gone for Kevin Mulvey, who threw 6 shutout innings on Tuesday night to lower his ERA to 3.59. Over his last 10 starts Mulvey is 4-1 2.95 with a 40/17 K/BB and 1.19 WHIP. There's a reasonable chance that he finds his way into the back of the Twins rotation next year.

Last week's Hot Sheet said about all there was to say about Michael Stanton but I did want to point out that in the months of July and August he has lowered his K rate from 35% in the first half to 29% over the last two months while increasing his walk rate from 6% to 20% as teams pitch around him more and more.

Finally, it looks like the legendary Big V is finally putting everything together. He made a rare appearance on this week's hot sheet after going .370/.370/.704 with 7 XBH, and he has .300/.347/.500 line in the month of August. If the now 18 year old phenom keeps this up over the course of the season and into Winter League we may see him feasting on California League pitching next year.
Giants

Post by Giants »

It's been awhile since I've updated this, and this is nothing like a full update (if it was I'd do something like linking to pictures of Buster Posey's first spring training or something lame like that). But I did want to share this article about my first IBC first round pick, and a guy who might finally get his shot this year on the Phillies roster as a 25th man in John Mayberry, Jr., and I also wanted to share the headline linking me to this article on phuturephillies.com, John Mayberry is big, runs fast. More notes on A's prospects to come when I feel like it.
Giants

Post by Giants »

No less an authority than Peter Gammons had this to say about top A's prospect Giancarlo Cruz-Michael Stanton (I sure hope he's talking about the same guy, that's the first I've heard of Giancarlo Cruz)(Also yes, I am really posting a Peter Gammons article about a prospect of mine at 3am. I'm just beginning to calm down after tonight's Santa Clara debacle, where ESPN actually cut away from the game with 10 minutes to play and started doing bonus coverage of whatever other games were going on. Thus exits the class that entered Santa Clara when I got there, bon voyage John Bryant and Calvin Johnson, enjoy playing ball in Europe).
Giants

Post by Giants »

BA decided to do a hotsheet, so sounds like a good time for me to do my first A's prospect notes piece of the year.

Speaking of that BA hotsheet, we had two IBC A's in the top 10 (including the #1 prospect), both of whom also play for my San Jose Giants. Buster Posey put up an insane .448/.556/.862 line with 3 home runs and 9 RBI along with 7BB and only 3 strikeouts. We're just waiting until the weather warms up and he'll be gone. Teammate Angel Villalona, who as BA notes is indeed batting 7th, put up a .478/.458/.783 (11-for-23), 1 2B, 2 HR, 7 RBI line last week, and most impressively for a kid who struck out at Pedro Felizian levels last year, only 4 Ks. The third head of my three headed San Jose offensive monster is Brandon Crawford, making his full-season debut at SS and hitting .407/.543/667 with 2 home runs and 6 RBI in 35 AB for the San Jose Giants. Crawford was my first breakout pick at First Inning, and I've believed in the guy ever since drafting him.

In other news, after a mediocre first start Derek Holland has been promoted to the Texas bullpen. Why? I don't know, but we should see him on the hill in the big leagues soon. After a slow start, Michael Stanton is coming on for Jupiter, with a .286/.355/.464 line and 2 XBH. Jupiter has been a notoriously difficult place to hit, so any line he puts up should be magnified. Cutter Dykstra has started slowly, not surprising for a 19 year old being asked to play CF every day in the Midwest League, but he has turned it on of late, and is currently on a 4 game hitting streak. New backup catcher Mark Wagner has been hitting very well in a repeat of AA, with a 1.043 OPS along with his usual strong defense for the Portland Sea Dogs. The other shortstop I drafted in last year's shortstop bonanza, Danny Espinosa might be in the midst of a little breakout of his own in the Carolina League, putting up a .333/.488/.533 mark for Potomac. The plate discipline matches what he showed last year in the NYPL, but the power is an added bonus as that was the big question mark about his game.

Finally there's my quartet of Phillies prospects. Travis Mattair who without any prompting from me was selected as one of the top 5 SAL hitters for week 1 by First Inning's new SAL writer, has seemingly answered the questions about his plate discipline. After striking out 3.5 times for every walk, Mattair has walked 13 times in 42 plate appearances against 6 strikeouts and is posting an .842 OPS while making several highlight reel plays. Last year he may have been too aggressively promoted to full season ball at 19, but if he puts it together this year he could have a fast track to Philadelphia. Travis d'Arnaud, who took the NYPL and later the SAL by storm last year, has gotten off to a slow start but has also put up 6 hits in his last 4 games. Could he be on his way back? Man-child Sebastian Valle, who forced his way to the SAL despite playing the same position as d'Arnaud, is hitting .273/.346/.334 playing mostly at DH with a little catcher mixed in. He's really an upside guy at this point, and there are never enough left handed hitting catchers to go around. We will see if the aggressive promotion was too much for him. Finally, full circle to my first #1 pick, John Mayberry, Jr., putting up a .798 OPS in AAA. Basically, Mayberry kills lefties and can't hit righties. That isn't going to change, he needs to be on the Phillies roster as a platoon mate for Ibanez and PH option, he's certainly worth more offensively than Miguel Cairo.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Giants

Post by Giants »

A little catch up. I went away for the weekend and heard the Giants promoted 3 prospects. Bumgarner and Alderson were no surprise, but the third promotion wasn't "Greatest Draft Pick Ever" Buster Posey (who is still mashing), it was shortstop Brandon Crawford. Those of you in the CT area will want to make it out tomorrow night, as it's rumored that Bumgarner will make his AA debut, and you can check out the fastest rising shortstop prospect in all of baseball as well. Full prospect report coming some time soon but not yet.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Athletics wrote:A little catch up. I went away for the weekend and heard the Giants promoted 3 prospects. Bumgarner and Alderson were no surprise, but the third promotion wasn't "Greatest Draft Pick Ever" Buster Posey (who is still mashing), it was shortstop Brandon Crawford. Those of you in the CT area will want to make it out tomorrow night, as it's rumored that Bumgarner will make his AA debut, and you can check out the fastest rising shortstop prospect in all of baseball as well. Full prospect report coming some time soon but not yet.

Its going to be fun seeing Bumgarner and Alderson move up the ladder together. Bumgarner has a pretty decent debuy by Alderson to follow up on. The Giants really seem to be good at drafting and developing starting pitchers. With all that young position talent at San Jose, they just need to catch up to the hitters and their MLB team just might have a chance again.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

It'll be fun going to Defenders games now that there are actually prospects there.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

With all that young position talent at San Jose, they just need to catch up to the hitters and their MLB team just might have a chance again.

After reading that I see I didn't make sense. That should be, "..they just need to catch up to the pitchers and their MLB team just might have a chance again."
Giants

Post by Giants »

Alderson was something last night. Going to SJ Giants games is going to be a little less fun.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Ya, I went and did it, two San Jose Giants wasn't enough so I signed 21 year old left fielder Thomas Neal, who is in the process of breaking out with a .343/.425/.614 OPS, 11 home runs and 41 RBI while dropping his K rate below 20% for the first time in his minor league career. He hits the ball hard. He would arguably be my breakout player for the year if it wasn't for Mark Wagner of the Red Sox system. He's hitting .325/.438/.524 for the season and getting rave reviews for his defense. Also, catcher Travis D'Arnaud might be having the unluckiest season ever. He's leading Lakewood with 7 home runs and 36 RBI, his K rate is well below 20% and his LD rate (as unreliable as minor league LD rates are) is a respectable 17%, but he's sporting a .193/.252/.335 line with a .193 BABIP. Ouch.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

I can't sleep, so I thought now would be a good time to point out that Thomas Neal hit another home run today and the Greatest Draft Pick Ever had 3 hits, marking the 5th straight game (all at home in the cavernous Municipal Stadium) in which Buster Posey has reached base safely 3 times. His line for June is a completely absurd .469/.603/.714! I can't wait for this San Jose Giants bunch of players to reach the majors. Replace Bocock with Crawford and this San Jose lineup could probably score as many runs as the parent club on the big league level.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Boras would disagree with you on the Greatest Draft Pick Ever claim.
Giants

Post by Giants »

And he'd be wrong. I'll take the word of a legendary college manager over a sleazebag agent.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Wow. This Robbie Ross kid, making his professional debut in the NWL, has been something else. Last night he threw 5 shutout innings and struck out 10 while allowing 3 hits and walking 1. On the season he's now got a 34/4 K/BB over 20.1 innings. Not bad for a lefty.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

He's not really a prospect, but Shaun Marcum outdueled Madison Bumgarner in a rehab start yesterday throwing 4 scoreless innings as New Hampshire took out Connecticut 1-0. Maybe some reinforcements for the stretch run coming?

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Inadvertently signing Jag's prospect might turn out to be the best minor league move I made all season, because to fill the spot I picked up Twins pitcher Liam Hendriks. The 21 year old Aussie missed last season with a back injury, but he has had a monster breakout this year. In 4 starts in the Midwest league went 34 innings and struck out 39 while walking just 4, (31.7 K% vs 3.1 BB%, that's something else). He was promoted to the FSL and made his debut today allowing 1 run on 3 hits in 7 innings with 8 K's and 0 walks. He commands 4 pitches and has a fastball that's in the average/above average range with room to grow according to the Twins international scouting director. I'm excited.

Also, Robbie Ross has gone 3 straight starts (18 innings) with no earned runs and a 13:1 K/BB, also not bad, and hes maintained a 66% GB rate after last year's 64%.

Oh, and a gentleman named Mike Stanton is doing a little bit of work too.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

So it was a big day for prospect debuts. Lost in the Strasburg Shuffle, Mike Stanton debuted for the Marlins yesterday with 3 hits. Sweet.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

The great white whale is real! Michael Ynoa made his professional debut with the AZL Athletics, throwing 3 scoreless innings while striking out 4 and walking none. Who's excited?

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

A's on BA's top 20's

FSL:
2. Chris Archer
5. Travis d'Arnaud
14. Liam Hendriks

Car:
16. JJ Hoover

SAL:
15. Robbie Ross
16. Drake Britton

NYP:
10. Colton Cain

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Congratulations to a guy I've signed and cut a few times, Sean Doolittle, called up today to join the A's bullpen after Jordan Norberto's injury. In his first year as a full time pitcher Doolittle has thrown 25 minor league innings with a Bundy-esque 48ks 8 hits and 7 walks for a 0.72 ERA and 0.60 WHIP. Look forward to seeing him debut.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97

Return to “#torture”