The Royal Report - Game One - Castro Hits Slam in IBC Debut

Jason Gudim's blog

Moderator: Twins

Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

The Royal Report - Game One - Castro Hits Slam in IBC Debut

Post by Twins »

I guarantee I'll lose interest in doing this before too long, but until then, I'll give it a shot.

-----------------------------------

KANSAS CITY, MO - Jason Castro hit a grand slam in his first IBC at bat, and newcomer Jon Lester pitched seven strong innings to lead the Kansas City Royals to victory in the season opener at Kaufmann Stadium.

Castro, acquired with Jon Lester and Brett Wallace in a trade that sent star OF Ryan Braun and uber-prospect Desmond Jennings to the New York Yankees, drove a 2-2 pitch from Tigers' starter James Shields over the fence in right-center field in a seven-run second inning. Later in the inning, RF Jason Kubel would line a bases loaded double to right, plating all three base runners. Kubel would end up with six RBI on the day after driving a three-run, opposite field homer to LF in the bottom of the fourth.

Castro wasn't the only newcomer to contribute to the win. Jon Lester pitched seven innings, scattering eight hits, surrendering three runs (all earned), walking four, and striking out six. Christian Guzman, starting at second base, went two for four and scored twice and helped turn two double plays.

3B Andy LaRoche went two for three, homering and scoring twice in the contest.
2010 KC 83-79
2011 KC 94-68
2012 KC 83-79
2013 KC 90-72; AL Central Champs
2014 KC 84-78
2015 KC 103-59; AL Central Champs
2016 KC 97-65; Lost WC Game to BAL
2017 MIN 80-82
2018 MIN 84-78
2019 MIN 80-82

Overall IBC Record 1040-903

Return to “Blog to Contact”