2007 Albums of the Year

Andrew Howard's blog
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

2007 Albums of the Year

Post by Nationals »

While actively procrastinating from grading exams and studying for a Greek examination tomorrow, I started musing to myself about the quality of music that I've been hearing. In truth, especially after "discovering" The Current (possibly the greatest public radio station in existence), I've been exposed to so much great music this year. So I decided to make a top five list of albums and pass it on to y'all. Just because I'm that nice. So here we go (and, it should be noted, 8 out of 10 of the top albums come from bands that played Austin City Limits in September).

Honorable mention:
The White Stripes, Icky Thump
The Fratellis, Costello Music
Foxboro Hot Tubs, Stop Drop and Roll
Bruce Springsteen, Magic

Top 10:
10. The Arctic Monkeys, Favourite Worst Nightmare (much better than their debut)

9. Kaiser Chiefs, Yours Truly, Angry Mob (a disappointment after their stellar debut)

8. The Ike Reilly Assassination, We Belong to the Staggering Evening (a thoroughly delightful surprise to pick up)

7. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, This Is Somewhere (amazing vocals, great live band)

6. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible (nigh near epic, barely got squeezed out)

5. Voxtrot, Voxtrot http://www.sendspace.com/file/g2pewe
I went back and forth for 15 minutes between these guys and Arcade Fire for this slot, but in the end I had to go with the Austin band for its local connection (hurrah for nepotism). Its sound is a lush and vibrant rock and roll that is far from harsh on the ears.

4. Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga http://www.sendspace.com/file/n5nhoz
Another Austin group (you can't top this city's music scene), this album has continued to grow on me. It is remarkably balanced and full of indie rock goodness. Don't you dare miss "Don't You Evah," the standout track of the album.

3. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver[.i] http://www.sendspace.com/file/y9colc
You want to dance? Fine, get up, get moving with LCD Soundsystem. I saw them at ACL and was blown away. This is probably the best sounding album here though the lyrics aren't anything all that special as they provide impetus for movement.

2. Sea Wolf, :eaves in the River http://www.sendspace.com/file/vxp2pk
This album in one word: atmospheric. It's dark but it is also quite textured. I've been addicted to this album for several months now. "You're a Wolf" is the standout song (though not by much) on this highly consistent album.

1. Andrew Bird, Armchair Apocrypha http://www.sendspace.com/file/mns8fz
The surprise number one. Two months ago, this was not on the radar. But then at Thanksgiving, I listened to it several times over and over and wow, Mr. Bird is a musical/lyrical genius. If you didn't download it the last time I pimped it here, do it now. Trust me
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

I like the Sea Wolf album a lot. I also like the Spoon album, but I still think Kill the Moonlight was their best, and all the albums after have been similar but not quite as good (still worthy of a purchase though). Bought LCD soundsystem but haven't gotten into it yet really. The White Stripes just always kick ass.

Not sure how old some of these are since I've kinda fallen behind on mining for music, but here's a few I'm listening to a lot right now:

Turn the Lights Out, The Ponys
It's Never Been Like That, Phoenix
Up in Rags (EP), Cold War Kids
Skeleton, Figurines
So This is Goodbye, Junior Boys
The Trials of Van Occupanther, Midlake
Boxer, The National
The Body, the Blood, the Machine, The Thermals
A Lesson in Crime, Tokyo Police Club
The Big Come Up, The Black Keys

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Marlins wrote:I like the Sea Wolf album a lot. I also like the Spoon album, but I still think Kill the Moonlight was their best, and all the albums after have been similar but not quite as good (still worthy of a purchase though). Bought LCD soundsystem but haven't gotten into it yet really. The White Stripes just always kick ass.

Not sure how old some of these are since I've kinda fallen behind on mining for music, but here's a few I'm listening to a lot right now:

Skeleton, Figurines
Boxer, The National
I keep hearing good things about The Boxer--theoretically I'll acquire it over this break to give me some listening pleasure. And the Cold War Kids' LP (Robbers & Cowards) from earlier this year is also pretty good. Not great, but better than a lot of the crap out there
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Twins wrote:
Marlins wrote:I like the Sea Wolf album a lot. I also like the Spoon album, but I still think Kill the Moonlight was their best, and all the albums after have been similar but not quite as good (still worthy of a purchase though). Bought LCD soundsystem but haven't gotten into it yet really. The White Stripes just always kick ass.

Skeleton, Figurines
Boxer, The National
I keep hearing good things about The Boxer--theoretically I'll acquire it over this break to give me some listening pleasure. And the Cold War Kids' LP (Robbers & Cowards) from earlier this year is also pretty good. Not great, but better than a lot of the crap out there
Yeah, "Hospital Beds" by Cold War Kids is a killer track. "Hang Me Up to Dry" is solid as well. Other than that there wasn't anything special, but those 2 were good enough to make it worth a listen.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

LCD Soundsystem eh? Thats my domain Andrew.. good shit. :)

If you want some more electronic DJ's/Artists to listen too, I can recommend some awesome shit...
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

I'm always up for finding new music!
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Return to “Twin Killings”