A quick note to Venezuelans.

Andrew Howard's blog
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

A quick note to Venezuelans.

Post by Nationals »

Please return my catcher.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/11/9/25507 ... -nationals

But seriously, wow. I'm shocked at this point that these players go home in the offseason.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Seriously, that is crazy. What is the rule on that during the season? What happens if he gets killed? Is there a supplemental pick rewarded in a situation like this? :?
Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

Post by Twins »

Let's just hope that he's returned safely and a decision like that doesn't need to be made.
2010 KC 83-79
2011 KC 94-68
2012 KC 83-79
2013 KC 90-72; AL Central Champs
2014 KC 84-78
2015 KC 103-59; AL Central Champs
2016 KC 97-65; Lost WC Game to BAL
2017 MIN 80-82
2018 MIN 84-78
2019 MIN 80-82

Overall IBC Record 1040-903
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

That reminds me of the IBC's Darryl Kile rule. A ghost pitched half the season.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Re: A quick note to Venezuelans.

Post by Padres »

Twins wrote:Please return my catcher.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/11/9/25507 ... -nationals

But seriously, wow. I'm shocked at this point that these players go home in the offseason.
Wilson Ramos is Kidnapped

by Kevin Goldstein

In October, we had Rafael Rojas, a Venezuelan baseball writer on the podcast. We talked plenty of baseball, but as I like to steer the show frequently into foreign affairs, we also talked about the state of the nation, and Rojas lamented the rapidly surging crime rate in his home country. One of the biggest issues there is the crime of kidnapping, as Venezeula now has the highest rate in the world. That crime and baseball combined in a disturbing way this evening, as reports have confirmed that Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos, who had just arrived home to join his winter league team, was abducted by gunmen this evening.

Kidnapping and baseball have crossed paths before in Venezeula. Two years ago, Yorvit Torrealba and his family paid a ransom for the return of his son. Also that year, Victor Zambrano's mother was rescued by a raid following her kidnapping, while in the biggest tragedy, the brother of Henry Blanco was kidnapped in December of 2008, with his body found the next day. He had been shot 15 times.

It's easy for us to say that they are rich baseball players and that they should live permanently in the United States under relative safety. It's easy for us because we are not from there. During my time in baseball, I've made several friends there, and the one thing I can say about them, universally, is that they love Venezuela. Many players are now permanent residents of the United States, but they are still targets for crime, as many members of their extended family remain in the country.

There is no answer here, and maybe not even a point, other than baseball is a wonderful fantasy world, and we hope Ramos can return to it, both quickly, and safely.

As one commenter put it ... home is where the heart is ...
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I remember reading something in SI years ago and basically Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen's houses were forts with armed guards. Amazing. Move, if home is a shitbox you can have fond memories from afar
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Damn! I should've made an offer before they saved him.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)

Return to “Twin Killings”