2008 Draft Review

Andrew Howard's blog
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

2008 Draft Review

Post by Nationals »

Round One, Pick Eight--Eric Hosmer, 1B (KC)

I love this pick. Coming into the draft, I knew that I needed a big bat...and this was a good year to draft powerful first basemen. While Hosmer is a few years from actually contributing to my squad, everything I've read has raved about his skillset, which has filled me with great confidence heading forward.

Round One, Pick Twenty-Four--Mike Montgomery, P (KC)

I had a good bit of internal debate over this pick, weighing the merits of a solid collegiate bat (David Cooper), a college arm (Daniel Schlereth) or a flamethrowing high schooler. Since Hosmer theoretically covers me at 1B, Cooper was eliminated and in the end, it came down to safety versus ceiling. I love Montgomery's ceiling--a lefty throwing 96 in high school? Fan-frickin'-tastic. His pro debut numbers were exceptional and I think good things will come from him. Now the only problem is that I'll be rooting for two players for an in-division rival of my favorite squad...
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Boy the Royals sure had a draft and half didn't they? Hopefully Hosmer can break your current 1b slump of guys ludicrously underperforming their projections in a couple of years.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Athletics wrote:Boy the Royals sure had a draft and half didn't they? Hopefully Hosmer can break your current 1b slump of guys ludicrously underperforming their projections in a couple of years.
One year does not make a slump!
RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Post by RedSox »

My first year, I cut Scott Hatteberg because he was simply terrible for me and Andrew picked him up and went to the WS with him at 1B.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Rays wrote:My first year, I cut Scott Hatteberg because he was simply terrible for me and Andrew picked him up and went to the WS with him at 1B.
But Hatteberg was no great shakes for me either...and I had Ryan Howard at 1B that year
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Hope he don't turn into another Chris Gruler
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Cardinals wrote:Hope he don't turn into another Chris Gruler
Low blow!

Return to “Twin Killings”