Moderator: WhiteSox

WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

2011 Draft Review

Post by WhiteSox »

2011 IBC Yankees Rookie Draft Class:

1st Round – 29th overall
Matt Purke – LHP

High risk, high reward. Typical Yankee pick at this point, all the elite talent was off the board and I felt like he had the best chance to be an impact player if everything breaks right. Received the eighth highest bonus (4.4 M) in the MLB draft.

1st Round – 30th overall
Dillon Howard – RHP

Another pitcher at this spot, you can never have enough SP prospects right? Thought about Mahtook, Meyer, and Bichette at this point, but went with the high school arm. Drafted 67th overall in the MLB draft, but received mid-first round money to sign (1.85 M) . Will take time to develop, but if all breaks right he could be a nice starter for the Yanks.

4th Round – 105th overall
Gregory Bird – C / 1B

Felt like we needed to draft some Yankee prospects at this point. Went with Bird who received a 1.1 M bonus to join the Yanks (highest bonus given by the Yanks this year). Probably can’t stay at catcher (most Yankee prospects can’t) but the swing looks very nice from the left side. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the minors this season.

4th Round – 120th overall
Jake Cave – OF

Decided to go with another Yankee prospect at this point. Some people like him better as a left-handed pitcher, but he will get a chance to prove he can be an everyday player. Signed for 825k, another high school player who could be a nice find if everything breaks right.

5th Round – 150th overall
Shawon Dunston Jr. – OF

Following my theme of high school players that signed for a big bonus to skip college. Drafted by the Cubs in the 11th round and signed for 1.275 M (was thought by some to be Vandy bound) Dunston is a true CF with potential and baseball bloodlines. He is a long ways away, but I love the potential and value at this point in the draft.

6th Round – 180th overall
Christian Lopes – SS

Another pick, another player out of high school. Signed for 800k and is often compared to 2010 first round pick Christian Colon. Value at this point in the draft was too high to pass on. Another Lottery ticket for the club.

7th Round – 210th overall
Zach Cone – OF

Based on the MLB draft he was actually my highest drafted player, taken in the supplemental first round (37th overall) by the Rangers. There are some concerns as his last year at Georgia was not all that solid. However, I feel like he could turn into a good backup OF for the IBC Yanks.

Overall Grade – Currently B- / B
Potential Grade – Anywhere from D to A

Having only two high picks after the Harper deal I went with two SPs with potential to pitch at the front of a rotation if everything breaks right. After that I look a gamble on high school bonus babies with potential. Based on the positions of the picks I felt like it was a no brainer. This will be a very interesting draft class to look back on in two years and see where we stand. Until then the Yankees will gear up to defend their WS title and look to go back-to-back-to-back.

Return to “Evil Empire Blog”