Red Sox 2013 Draft

Patrick Tullar's blog

Moderator: RedSox

RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Red Sox 2013 Draft

Post by RedSox »

#33 Kyuji Fujikawa RP

I was hoping Stroman fell to me, but he didn't so I took a guy I knew could help me this year. Since 2007 his ERA's have been - 1.63, 0.67, 1.25, 2.01, 1.24, and 1.32. After Tateyama got a 128 coming out of Japan a couple years ago it was a disapointment to see a guy with a track record like Fujikawa only get a 117 ERA+. Still at 32 he could give me 5 good years which is excellent for a second round pick.

#34 Rafael De Paula

De Paula is one of the older Latin players available because of his wandering birthdate and morphing name. He sits mid 90's with his fastball and his softer stuff has promise, but he didn't need it much the DSL this year. We'll know in the spring. If it's as polished as I've read expect him to open up in Tampa, if it's not expect to see him start at a lower level. I hope he moves quickly.

#37 Onelki Garcia

From MLB: Garcia defected from Cuba and eventually was eligible for the 2012 Draft. The Dodgers are extremely excited about his size and stuff from the left side. He’ll throw his fastball in the 90-95 range from a three-quarters slot. He has two plus breaking pitches that he’ll add and subtract with to keep hitters guessing. He’s working on adding a changeup, which could make him a complete package. Assuming he's healthy, he could be one who moves quickly through the Dodgers system.

The Dodgers looked at tabbing him last year in the first round, but MLB pulled him from the draft at the last second. He made one appearance in the Southern League playoffs this fall, pitching 3 innings against Tenn.(Sea) striking out 7 of the 9 players he faced including Stephen Romero, Mike Zunino, and Brad Miller. All seven K's swinging. I expect him to start in AA with a quick bump to AAA if he performs.

Return to “The Devil Inside”