2012 Boston Red Sox Top 20 Prospects

Patrick Tullar's blog

Moderator: RedSox

RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

2012 Boston Red Sox Top 20 Prospects

Post by RedSox »

2/27/2012

1. Iwakuma, Hishashi - Straight into the rotation.
2. Akins, Jordan(60) - If the breakout happens, All-Star CF.
3. Stephenson, Robert(60) - T.O.R. potential.
4. Bichette, Dante(60) - I just have a feeling he's going to be a star.
5. Santana, Ravel(60) - Big tools, hope the injury didn't ruin him.
6. Kyle Winkler(55) - Top 50 draft prospect at BA and PG. First round stuff if he can recover from being TCU'd.
7. Sanchez, Victor(55) - Good stuff, polish for 16 year old.
8. Hood, Destin(55) - Safer and safer bet to be 20HR/20SB/OBP LF.
9. Cardona, Adonis(55) - Big, big arm, effort to delivery, lottery ticket.
10. Herrera, Rosell(50) - 3B or RF down the line, electric bat speed.
11. Hernandez, Marco(55) - True SS.
12. Bonifacio, Jorge(55) -Squares it up, classic RF projection.
13. Shipman, Aaron(55) - Love the swing, patience, CF D, tore it up in 2nd half.
14. Eaton, Adam(55) - Close to bigs. Watch him in AAA.
15. Grimm, Justin(55) - 2 plus pitches, mid rotation or bp potential.
16. Lopez, Jorge(50) - Super young, projectable, inexperienced.
17. Markel, Parker(50) - Best stuff in NYPL, weird delivery, maybe RP.
18. Tocci, Carlos(55) - Lottery ticket.
19. Avery, Xavier(55) - No power, free swinger, good athlete, AAA?
20. Wilson, Alex(55) - 2 plus pitches, good SP, but not good enough for BOS, RP unless traded.
HM. Hagerty, Jason(50) - .260 with 20 HR ceiling as C, 2nd tier MLB starter.

(xx) = BA grade.

With only 8 guys old enough to buy beer and a few still too young to buy tobacco, this list has a bunch of guys who could jump out next year or just disapear. I was surprised I still had 20 guys who qualified as prospects.
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

Updated after trade for Winkler.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

You're welcome for Grimm.
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

Think of it as a trade for Arroyo.
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

With the 2012 projection disc wait dragging out again I thought I'd take time to jot down a few notes on some guys I just brought in.

1. M. Kawasaki UT -
A 30 year old free agent from Japan, he has a zero power and like many players from Japan likes to use the roadrunner cloud of smoke technique when hitting. He has a reputation of being very good with the glove, better than Nishioka who went VG/AV at 2B/SS last year. He has a lot of SH in his projection along with a fair number of SB so I'm hoping he has a VG bunt rating and fills a sac/def/PR role I was short on in the playoffs last year.

2. CJ McElroy OF -
During the draft I had created a composite list of the top 100 draft prospects. McElroy was as high as #78 on one list I used with this blurb - "Son of Chuck, ex-LHP; ++ athlete (track/FB standout), 80 speed/MLB scale, RH bat/sound swing, LF arm." I remember checking to see if a McElroy had been drafted and Casey McElroy came up on Z's team and I just assumed Casey was CJ's full name and he was gone. After KG gave CJ a bump this morning I looked into things a little deeper and realized CJ was 4 years younger than Casey and still available. As my team has gotten more competitive, I've begun to lean more toward younger, premium athletic players for the farm system so after double checking... Speed - 6.37/60yd, handles velocity, simple approach with pitch recognition, plus range in CF, I thought I'd give him a shot as Johnny Damon looks to be getting the Jermaine Dye forced retirement treatment this year.

3. Grayson Garvin SP -
After "finding" McElroy I went back and sifted through my list again. This time it yielded lefty pitcher Garvin. BA had him as the #56 draft prospect and the list that liked McElroy in the top 100 had this to say about Grayson at #36 - "++ 6-6 frame; top arm on Cape (5-0, 0.74), ++ as JR (11-1, 2.08); throws ton of strikes with 90-92 FB/T-95." The fastball is a tick above average and the change is solid average. The breaking ball is halfway between a curve and a slider with none of the positve attributes of either. I read he might be a candidate for a cutter and that's what peaked my interest because of the pitch's ability to neutralize off hand batters if he can master it. He throws strikes with both the fastball and change so worst case he ends up in the pen. With a system as deep as TB's it's not surprising he flys under the radar. The Rays are notoriously slow with promoting their prospects so I took it as a good sign that he's listed on the A+ Florida State League StoneCrabs roster for his first taste of professional baseball. This slot came available when defensive replacement Sam Fuld had to go under the knife for a wrist injury that will cost him at least 4-5 months, and with the wrist I'll always take the over on that timetable.

Return to “The Devil Inside”