Red Sox 2012 Draft

Patrick Tullar's blog

Moderator: RedSox

RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Red Sox 2012 Draft

Post by RedSox »

#11 Yoenis Cespedes OF

When I traded for this pick I figured with the depth of blue chip pitching in this draft I was going to get a college pitcher who would soon replace Cahill, hopefully with a higher ceiling. It didn't work out that way. Darvish pushed everyone down, but since Cespedes is 26 I guess he wasn't a good fit for a rebuilding team and he was the player who fell to me at #11. I'm sure anyone who's interested has already seen his video. Timetable looks like he gets residency 1/15 and then petitions MLB for a job.

Scouting report: 70+ power, 70 speed, 60 arm, 50 hit tool. He might only be a .270 hitter, but it's enough for his power to play and he could hit 25-30 HR from the CF slot.

#27 Hishashi Iwakuma SP

Usually you're better off taking what the draft brings to you. When you try to force something that's when you end up drafting to fill a slot instead of taking the most talented player, and outside the first 10 picks it almost always bites you in the ass. This pick is that slot pick. With Arroyo playing the part of human BP machine last year I needed one more SP for depth. Wada was already gone and put up a 106 ERA+ in Baltimore, so I'm hopeful Iwakuma will be somewhere around a 100 ERA+ and as long as he stays healthy I'll be happy.

Scouting report: Typically works around 88-90. Had a shoulder issue early in the year last season and worked at 84-86 for a good part of the year but was back to 88 by the end of the season. Like many Japanese pitchers he works backwards, using his junk to set up the fastball. He has sub 2BB/9IP type control and has averaged .5 HR/9IP in his career. Gets a lot of GB for a soft tosser.

#38 Robert Stephenson SP

I went back and forth over this pick because I'd bought into the scouting reports on Guzman. When I filled out the Queue Spangenberg was also available and he was probably the safest pick left at that point. I went Stephenson, Spangenberg, Guzman, and Ross, in that order. Bren took Spangenberg, Martin took Ross, I got Stephenson, and Ken took Guzman. With Cardona(17 yo) arguably my top pitching prospect I needed more high ceiling arms.

Scouting report: Fastball 92-95, clean delivery with the ability to spin a good breaking ball, CU in development. Has a frontline starter ceiling but is a long way off.

#43 Dante Bichette Jr. 3B

As I filled out the Queue before I went to bed last night I wanted pitching, but decided I was better off not forcing the issue. The Twinkies went Aoki and Brandon went with Hedges who was in my Queue and the big lefty Owens. At this point there's a lot of projectable teenage pitching you draft with #2 hope and college guys who'll move fast but offer little projection. I went with Bichette who was the GCL #1 prospect and league MVP.

Scouting report: Average runner, strong arm, average defender at 3B, ++ power, + hit tool, ++ make-up. By the end of the year Bichette had impressed with his agility, arm strength and aptitude at third base to where he could be the Yankees' heir apparent to A-Rod at 3B.

#57 Jorge Lopez SP

I still had two guys left over in my Queue from the Bichette pick 14 picks before. Maples and Lopez. Jim got Maples overnight. I liked that Lopez is extremely athletic and rated right around 50th by several different sources despite only having started pitching three years ago. Right now his ceiling is #2/3 but at 6'4" and only 170# his FB could jump several ticks and that, combined with his feel for his CB could make him a frontline prospect.

Scouting report: With long arms and a loose delivery, Lopez regularly throws his fastball at 89-91 mph and touches 93. Milwaukee believes he'll throw in the mid-90s once he fills out. He also has an over-the-top curveball that can buckle hitters' knees. He has unusual feel for his curve for a teenager and will throw it in any count. He has been pitching for just three years, so his changeup and command are still works in progress. Lopez has good body control for a lanky youngster.

#63 Victor Sanchez SP

Still in pitching mode, for the second year in a row I took the top arm out of Venezuela. Sanchez played on a lot of the same teams as Cardona and some scouts thought he was the better prospect. He's short, but when a guy who won't even be able to buy a beer in the US until 2016 already touches 94, throws strikes on both sides of the plate, and has a plus slider is there for the taking with your last pick in the draft you draft him. I couldn't find his signing bonus, but I think he's got more money than Iwakuma did from the M's. I expect him to destroy the low minors with his control and breaking ball. If there's a little bit of projection left in him he could be very good.

Scouting report: Sanchez isn't tall, but he has a body like a bull, with a strong, thick frame with sloped shoulders and large hands. His fastball ranges from 89-92 mph and touches 94. He has a loose arm and does it fairly easily. His athleticism helps him repeat his delivery and throw strikes with his fastball to both sides of the plate. Sanchez also throws a plus slider and has shown feel for a changeup, and he'll mix in an occasional curveball. Sanchez likely has the most present talent in this year's pitching crop.

#207 Carlos Tocci OF

With about 5 teams dragging the draft out I figured it was easier to take another pick than wait for the draft to end and sign him as a free agent.

One of the youngest international signees from last year, Tocci signed for $759,000. Many scouts thought if he weighed 30 more pounds he would have commanded three times that amount and been considered the equivalent of a 1st round draft pick. The Phillies love OF with tools and Tocci has them. He has good range in CF and the arm for RF. Plus speed and good instincts on the bases. Present power is gap-to-gap and his ceiling depends on just how much weight and strength he can gain. BA says: "his potential seems limitless."
Last edited by RedSox on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

Draft wrap:

I think I did okay in this year's draft. Iwakuma was a force pick for me but everyone else felt right, though I'll hold judgement on Sanchez until he gets stateside. Stephenson has the kind of arm that takes you to the big leagues. His command and development of a 3rd pitch will determine his ceiling. I'm pretty happy with the Bichette pick even though he's a Yankee. I don't think he's ever going to play on a stage that's too big for him. Down the line he may end up in an OF corner like his dad, but I think the baseball rat in him is going to play up. Now if Cespedes wil get signed I can finish setting my lineup.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Solid draft indeed Pat ...
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

Updated with Tocci profile.

Cespedes watch is over. Oakland was a surprise.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

RedSox wrote:Updated with Tocci profile.

Cespedes watch is over. Oakland was a surprise.
Wow, very surprising. Good ole' Billy Beane!
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Give him an extension through 2019!
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “The Devil Inside”