2017 Draft

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

2017 Draft

Post by Yankees »

Pick 132:
Blake Hunt - C - Mater Dei High School: Hunt had been a target of mine well ahead of his draft slot here (about 1/3 of the league got a draft offer from me...). He received a bonus almost double his slot in the CBB round after a getting a lot of helium during his senior season of high school. Hunt is considered, at worst, a very good fielding catcher with power potential (1/3 of his Rookie hits were for extra bases). He struck out WAY too much in his first go-around, but he was almost 2 years young for the level. Lot of work here...but a lot of potential.

Pick 143:
Dominic Miroglio - C - University of San Francisco: Drafted for the 3rd time, Miroglio did what he should have done as a college sign in rookie league. He hit .317, walked more than he struck out, and gunned down 40% of potential base stealers. The DBacks believe he'll be an MLB catcher based on his plus defensive skills across the board, but the difference between a starter and part-timer comes down to the development of his bat. That makes him like almost every catcher, ever.

Pick 150:
J.J. Matijevic - ?? - University of Arizona: J.J.'s calling card is his bat. He raked twice in a row in the Cape Cod League, and was just one of the most dangerous hitters in the country in his last year at Arizona. This comes with a couple problems. He may not have enough power to profile at his best defensive position, 1b, and he's probably not good enough to play anywhere else (maybe LF?). Then he didn't hit in his first year as a pro. I'm going to take a shot that the two years in the Cape will be the bat, or he could be a pretty quick drop.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Here's the draft. It's not my best.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”