2013 Draft

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

2013 Draft

Post by Yankees »

Round 1 - Pick 18:
Reese McGuire, c, Pirates - McGuire enters the minors as perhaps the top defensive prospect behind the plate behind Nats' own Austin Hedges. McGuire regularly pops 1.8, is take charge behind the plate, and pitchers love throwing to him. Many thought the bat would be an issue...but it showed good gap power, and his .330/.388 ba/obp at GCL really turned heads. Most prospect gurus have McGuire in the 5-8 range of a deep Pirates system. If the bat shown is legit, McGuire could move very quickly through the minors...and could be a top 100 prospect as soon as 2015.

Round 1 - Pick 22:
TRADED - Hunter Renfroe, of, Padres - I'm going to be honest, I did zero research on both McGuire and Renfroe because I did not think either would be at 18...much less both. Renfroe has issues for sure. He has some pretty big swing and miss in his game, but he hit for average his junior year in college and carried that to short season ball. If he can keep an average at .265-.280, he is an impact player. What he does have is well above average power, athleticism, and arm. He is a classic RF profile who many prospect guru's have put over Liriano and Kelly in the Padres system...which is a pretty solid statement.

Round 3 - Pick 76:
ACQUIRED - Jake Johansen - p, Nats - This dude has a hose. He pounds the zone in the upper 90's, and has watched all his secondary pitches play up since being drafted. If they continue to tick upward, Johansen could wind up being a 2/3 starter with pretty solid ease. However, Johansen has a track record of struggling with the feel for pitching, and if his secondaries don't continue to step forward, he may end up in the pen.

Round 3 - Pick 83:
Terry McClure - of, Rockies - Terry McClure is a human toolshed. Already considered major league ready on defense with a plus arm, McClure flashes all 5 tools, is already 6'2" and 200 lbs., and won't be 19 until September. While scouts project a potential plus hit and power tool, his bat is far, far behind his glove. While he did walk in over 10% of his plate appearances, he struck out in ~33% of them. He will probably not be near ready until 2017, but McClure has an MLB-regular profile...and Colorado is not the worst org or potential destination to develop as a hitter.

Round 4 - Pick 98:
Dace Kime - p, Indians - I thought I was drafting Dice K...but I guess Dace will have to do (horrible joke). The positive is that Kime has a starter's build, growing into starter's command, and a work-horse arsenal. He projects as a back end starter, but certainly an MLB caliber pitcher who could move quickly. The reason he entices scouts is that while he's a little older and his stuff has not ticked up yet, you can look at him and dream on him gaining some velo and upgrading his secondaries...but that probably won't happen. Good value pick, but in the words of Rod Tidwell, "...it's not sexy."
Last edited by Yankees on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Updated w/ Kime pick...
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Friend of mine had Kime in class at U of L, she said he was a smart kid, if that means anything
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Edited with trade...

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”