Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Trades

Post by Yankees »

2/1: Nationals trades Matt Lindstrom, Michael Morse, to Tigers for Lucas Duda, Avisail 0-Garcia,
Analysis: Morse is a player that I�ve long liked � and one I picked up for Carlos Monasterios. Lindstrom had a career resurgence last year, but someone that had very little value to me in the rebuild. Lucas Duda is a fine bat without a real position, but the dude can rake and the Mets will find a place for him this year. Garcia is the pickup here. Despite reaching the MLB this year, most prospect analysts believe that he�s just starting to tap into his potential. If he can become more patient, he has the potential to be an All-Star.

2/1: Nationals trades Jason Grilli, Scott Hairston, Jeff Keppinger, Doug Fister, to Brewers for Jeremy Horst, Bradley Boxberger, Joe 11-Panik, Sean 11-Gilmartin,
Analysis: Weird 2nd trade for me to make in the rebuild. Fister continues to dominate on the mound, but get zero love from the projection people. Keppinger, Hairston, and Grilli all have value individually, but helped me get depth in value here. Horst and Boxberger will be two top-flight bullpen arms for years to come. Sean Gilmartin does not have huge upside, but he�s in an excellent organization for development and most analysts believe he�s very close to a lock to become a #4 starter. Panik was a big get for me here. Despite his numbers going back a little this year, Panik is a tough-to-find middle infield prospect who profiles to be a plus bat. As a 2b, he�s a potential All-Star.

2/2: Braves trades Sonny 11-Gray, Seon Gi 0-Kim, to Nationals for Xavier Paul, Brad Ziegler,
Analysis: Ziegler and Paul are both very solid baseball players who will help in the SIM this year � however neither really had any value to me in the rebuild. Seon Gi Kim is about as big a question mark as there is in baseball (people don�t honestly know if he has a 3rd pitch), however he had a good start coming over from Korea and shows a lot of upside. Gray is the win in this trade for me. Gray is as divisive as Kim is unknown. No one doubts the stuff, or his ability as a dominant reliever, but scouts are quite divided on him as a starter. Some think there�s no chance, some believe he still has the ability to become as high as a #2 starter. Absolutely worth the risk on both of those guys.

2/2: Nationals trades Carlos Beltran, Matt Cain, Alberto Callaspo, Chris Davis, Austin 11-Wood, to Royals for Scott Baker, Tyler Thornburg, James 10-Paxton, Matt 11-Skole, Alen 0-Hanson, Nick 11-Tropeano, David 12-Dahl,
Analysis: Well this deal was a bit controversial. Cain is the star of the show, absolutely no question here. I�ve always been told that it�s imperative to build a team up the middle of the field. That was the focus with this trade. Paxton gives me someone who has elite stuff, and profiles as a #2 starter. Tropeano features as a workhorse #4, but most believe he will definitely fit that bill. If Matt Skole stays at 3b (unlikely if he�s a long-term National), that�s a huge win for me. More likely he�s the slugging replacement for LaRoche in two years. Alen Hanson was the star of the original deal for me. If he pays the proper attention to defense, he is definitely a shortstop. If he stays in the middle of the field, he�s an All-Star. To me, Callaspo and Davis were important players, but well worth teaming with Cain to get a good return. The challenge came in that I did not think that that was enough � I really wanted Dahl and Thornburg. To get Dahl and Thornburg, Beltran was the obvious inclusion. To me, that part of the trade was a win � which equaled out the whole trade. To get Baker, which subsequently got me Marisnick and Franco, just made this talent haul well worth the cost. And Jason may have just won the World Series.

2/3: Nationals trades Hiroki Kuroda, to RedSox for Mike 10-Kickham, Rafael 12-De Paula,
Analysis: There turned out to be quite a bit of interest in Kuroda, however most backed that by offering me very little of value along with it. Kickham represents a player similar for me to Gilmartin. A mid-rotation ceiling, but one he�s most likely to reach. De Paula was the big prize for me here. He has outstanding stuff and a ceiling of a #2 starter, but he�s also a little older after being forced to remain overseas for a few years. This has stunted his development � but it has absolutely not stunted his potential.

2/3: Yankees trades Chris Carter, to Nationals for Kevin Youkilis,
Analysis: Probably should have held out here for a couple days to see Youk�s SIM, but I�ve been after Carter for some time, and he filled a power void in my stable. Carter has a good approach and mammoth raw power, but he does have holes in his swing and can be exploited. The trade to the Astros presents a terrific opportunity for him to get consistent ab�s in a hitter friendly park. I�m going to be rooting for Youk this year (which will be weird), but he was absolutely going to go.

2/3: Nationals trades R.A. Dickey, Chris Young, Pedro Ciriaco, A.J. Ellis, to Rockies for Derek Norris, Ethan 0-Martin, Matt 11-Purke, Stryker 12-Trahan,
Analysis: Absolutely loved this trade, even though it gave Jake some very talented players. Dickey and Ellis were in demand, and I like both Young and Ciriaco, but I got some great talent in important spots. Trahan gives me a C to dream on. He has an outstanding bat and people do believe he has the athleticism to develop as a C. Martin and Purke both still have elite level stuff � but they both have to be healthy to continue to develop. Norris is a former prospect who still has the patience, power, and defense to become an above average MLB catcher.

2/3: Reds trades Cody 10-Buckel, Michael Choice, Max 12-Fried, to Nationals for Brett Gardner, Boone Logan, Buzz Oliver, Craig Kimbrel,
Analysis: Kimbrel was absolutely the most difficult person for me to move. I had really planned to hang on to him when this started�however this was too much for me to pass up. Buckel was the least value I got back, and he is still a borderline top 100 prospect with pro impact potential as a starter. Michael Choice is an excellent power prospect in the OF for an organization that develops talent well. However the big get for me was Fried. He has the potential to pitch at the top of an MLB rotation as a lefty, and is a �12 draft pick who has all the potential to move quickly. Getting an elite level arm was the most important thing in moving Kimbrel (who I got for Mike Aviles)�and mission accomplished.

2/3: RedSox trades Slade Heathcott, Jorge 9-Bonifacio, to Nationals for Mike Napoli, Tony Watson,
Analysis: March 31st, 2009 was a seminal moment for my turn into a contender when I picked up Josh Willingham and Napoli for a whole mess of crap. Napoli went on to be an elite level catcher, anchoring my team for 4 seasons in the middle of the lineup. He will always be a fan favorite at Fake Nats Park. However �degenerative hip condition� is not an ailment that will work for a rebuilding squad, so he had to go. Getting Heathcott and Bonifacio was a big win for me I think. Heatchcott has the capability to be a first division player, if not an All-Star, and Bonifacio is a lottery ticket who may just end up paying off really, really nicely. Dealing Napoli was tough, but I loved the upside.

2/4: Nationals trades Bartolo Colon, Rafael Furcal, to Rockies for Roger Kieschnick,
Analysis: Not much to see here�Kieschnick was someone Jake and I talked about in the 1st trade, and I needed to cut roster space. I do believe he is an MLB starter with a good bat�so to get him for two people who will SIM better than they perform was worth it to me � and a great get for Jake in this SIM campaign.

2/4: Phillies trades Jake 9-Marisnick, Maikel 10-Franco, to Nationals for Scott Baker, J.J. Hoover,
Analysis: Well trade seems wrong to me, as I was hoping not to get Baker in the first place�but was one I had to do. Hoover and Baker are both excellent players, but not necessarily pieces on a rebuilding team (oft-injured elder starter, reliever). Marisnick is a player whose athleticism will make him an MLB player, his development of his tools is what will determine if he�s also an All-Star. Franco is another lottery ticket who has pretty horrible athleticism, but will be a 3b, and absolutely raked the 2nd half of this year. He was a very divisive prospect who was ranked as high as Philly�s #2 (betting on the 2nd half) and out of the top 10 (illusion, no athleticism).

2/4: Giants trades Adeiny Hechevarria, Jake Arrieta, to Nationals for Travis Snider, Steven 0-Souza,
Analysis: Souza is a wildcard, but there is some upside there. Snider was tough to give up for me. The man has raked whenever he has been given consistent ab's...but there's a chance that his defense may ultimately keep him from ever getting that chance. I really wanted to find myself a Kozma-type SS. Even though I believe Hanson has an excellent shot to end up an SS, I wanted to have someone every knew would stay there. Hechevarria is definitely an MLB SS, perhaps as soon as this year. His bat needs to continue to develop, but he did have a mini-breakout in AAA - albeit in a hitter friendly league. Arrieta is a pitcher to keep my fingers crossed about. While his ERA climbed again, this former top prospects peripherals got remarkably better. He improved his control and his strikeouts, and still has the upside of a mid-rotation starter.
Last edited by Yankees on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

WhiteSox trades Michael Kirkman, Neil Ramirez, Eury Perez, Kyle McPherson, to Nationals for Chris Carter, James McDonald, Sean 11-Gilmartin,

The point was made to me that while it may have been fun to tear my team down, I do need an actual lineup of SIM-eligible players. Now the goal was not to just drop and pick up for the hell of it - it was to do it strategically to acquire talents that I like.

In this deal I move 2 SIM eligibles and 1 non-eligible for 4 eligibles. Both McDonald and Carter are not old, but both are a little too old (and too good) to play for my squad this year...and I'm not in love with either of them (especially being in the National League at Nats Park). Gilmartin is a solid prospect, but one with very limited upside...and one not SIM eligible.

I'm a big fan of Kirkman's potential out of the pen, and Neil Ramirez is, admittedly, a gigantic wild card. The two players I did really like in the deal were McPherson & Perez. Perez has a wide range of projections, but there's no doubting his speed on offense and his capability to become an above average outfielder. If that position remains at CF, that's a good win for me. McPherson is a solid, back of the rotation starter who profiles to be an innings-eater at the MLB level. He has some upside to pitch in the middle of a rotation, but there's not much overall risk here.

In all, this is not a sexy deal...but it's one that's necessary for me in the short run, while offering some things to dream on.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

28 and 26 are too old to play for a team?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

For most teams, no. But there were a few factors in this deal:

1) I did not want to trade any of my good prospects
2) I did not want to dilute the talent on my team just to make sure I was compliant
3) There are very few rosters who had 4 younger players I wanted who were 100% SIM eligible, and I could get with what I was offering...
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Nationals wrote:For most teams, no. But there were a few factors in this deal:

1) I did not want to trade any of my good prospects
2) I did not want to dilute the talent on my team just to make sure I was compliant
3) There are very few rosters who had 4 younger players I wanted who were 100% SIM eligible, and I could get with what I was offering...
I gotta' say I understand where Z is coming from ... there is a possibility that neither McDonald or Carter will be on my team this time next year (if they fizzle in real life) but pre-season injuries to a couple of my players (Hart and Hudson) made those two have some some appeal to me this year. It is very likely that at least 3 out of the 4 players Z acquired will be on his (or somebody's) roster next season and they will be play for him this year.

On the other hand, perhaps McDonald will finally fulfill his potential and Carter will benefit from the change of locale and the opportunity to get everyday at bats ... Then I will be fortunate as I will have acquired a young lefty SP I like (Gilmartin) and a couple of decent aged players (27 and 29 next season) as a likely 5th SP and a powerhitting DH.

Not a big trade but one that fit both our current needs well but on its face currently appears to favor Z in the long run.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Agreed - if this was my team 3 months ago, both McDonald and Carter, especially with their solid SIM's, would have played pretty significant roles.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates trades Stefen 10-Romero, to Nationals for Bradley Boxberger,

This trade happened in 10 seconds...almost literally. I have a great deal of love for Box (man has very good stuff), but not a lot of use for a reliever currently. Romero was someone who I have targeted and really liked. I'm not sure he has the pop in the bat to stick at 3b long-term, but he could be an excellent 2b if he can learn to handle the actions there. Either way, his hit tool and eye, and versatility, should make him an MLBer...with upside.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Lucas Duda, Kyle McPherson, to Mets for Mike Leake, Mitch 12-Nay,

I really like both Duda and McPherson. Duda can mash, and is very usable in the SIM with a good 1b rating. McPherson basically has Leake's upside - and is another player I do like.

However, I've been after Leake for a while now. He still has very good stuff, with a strong propensity for giving up way too many homers. If he can keep the ball in the yard with some consistency, he will be a very solid #3 starter.

Mitch Nay is a lottery ticket. He has tremendous raw power and some potential for the bat to follow. However he is really young, and probably won't see a full season league until 2014.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Michael Choice, Mason 12-Melotakis, to Tigers for Domingo Santana, Miles Head,

Pat has been after Choice since I got him. I really like Choice, but I have realized a big hole in impact bats on my squad. This became an opportunity for Pat to pick up a guy he has coveted, and for me to pick 2 guys who have the potential to hit in the middle of an MLB lineup. Head is closer to realizing his potential after a breakout '12 - but probably profiles more in a 6-hole.

Santana is the guy to dream on here. He's playing in AA as a 20 year old, and crushed 50 extra base hits in 450 ab's last year in HA...with 55 walks...as a 19 year old. There is swing and miss in his game, but the upside is very big with this young man. He profiles as a true middle of the lineup, corner outfielder.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Mike Leake, Corey 12-Black, to Reds for J.R. Graham,

Like trading Choice, I really had no intentions of moving Leake when I traded for him. I figured Leake gave a team with a lot of uncertainty something pretty solid with upside in the middle of my rotation from here out. However, J.R. Graham is a unique prospect who may not have the ultimate upside, but will pitch at the front of a rotation at best with a high floor of an innings eating, ground ball producing workhorse at worst.

The Braves have historically developed pitchers well, so there not a ton of risk in a Cody Buckel-type fall-off at some point.

Black did make me stammer at this move for a second though. He features a very high upside, has an electric arm, and is a Yankee. However, already owning De Paula and Ramirez, it was worth it to snag Graham.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades James Paxton, to Mariners for Dorssys 11-Paulino,
Paxton gave Ropers someone to root for, Paulino gives me an incredible young MIF talent. If Paxton becomes a pen arm and Paulino becomes a fantastic MIFer, this is a big win for me.

Nationals trades Jeremy Horst, Charles Cutler, Mike ONeill, to Royals for Jed Bradley, Niko 10-Goodrum,
Horst, Cutler, and O'Neill are all very solid SIM players...however their ling term value is nil. Bradley gives me a former top prospect who is very young, who has an absolutely elite arm vs. righties. Goodrum is a player who will be a SS, features power, but has the capacity to get on base.

Nationals trades Jake Marisnick, Adeiny Hechavarria, to Yankees for Austin Romine, Justin Grimm, Tyler 12-Naquin,
The biggest challenge, to me, is the guys i"m giving up. Both Hech and Marisnick have tremendous talent. However, you have to deal wih that at some point and cut your ties. For me, Grimm i s a huge get, and temperature check our ST's about a 2nd player...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Nationals Draft Pick 1, to Mariners for Addison 12-Russell,

Franchise-altering decision here. Appel looks to have separated himself as the #1 overall option in this year's draft, and has every look of being a very good #2 starter...probably just shy of a true ace. Giving up Appel was a difficult decision, but one I was committed to make to improve the offensive side of the ball.

Russell was a no-brainer for me having come to that conclusion. He has pushed himself into the upper echelon of prospects (most rankings that include Appel and Russell have them very close) at a premium position...which he shows every indication of being able to play at least at an average level, if not higher.

While I've had a couple prospects completely fall on their face, I've been really excited with the overall development of my core group of prospects...and Russell just adds to it.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees trades Jose Vicente 9-Campos, to Nationals for Nationals Draft Pick 2,

I had not planned on trading the 2nd round pick...but JB was after it. For me, the 31st pick in a pretty thin draft had value, but was most likely going to be a far away, high upside player...one that comes with pretty extreme risk.

Campos certainly doesn't come without risk (injury), but he also comes with a solid track record and, most importantly, still very good upside. He started his 2013 comeback a little rocky, but has been absolutely lights out since the beginning of June. He's been on a 4 ip limit, leaving little margin for error, but he's produced. In his last 24 ip's (going all 4 ip's in 6 straight starts), he has let up 20 hits, let up only 1 bb, and struck out 25 batters.

Up until just a few years ago, he had a #2/3 grade out as a starter, and his stuff has come all the way back. If he can find a way to remain healthy, he will be easily worth the risk made.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

WhiteSox trades Oswaldo Arcia, to Nationals for Justin Grimm, Dorssys 11-Paulino, Brandon 10-Drury, Tyler 12-Naquin,

Kind of cleaned out around the edges of my prospects here for a premium bat. Everyone I traded will probably wear a major league uniform, if they haven't already, but unsure of the star power. The one player I really did like was Drury. The kid had a monster year, and there is absolute upside on him.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Henry 12-Urrutia, Matt 11-Stites, to Cubs for Jeff Locke, Robbie Grossman,

Stites will be an excellent reliever and I do think Urrutia will be a solid MLB bat. Since Urrutia doesn't really have a position, cashing him in on a young pitcher who has established himself on the MLB level was attractive to me. Grossman provides a 4th of bat with versatility, speed, and walks.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Chris Withrow, Oswaldo Arcia, Avisail Garcia, Sonny 11-Gray, to Giants for Wilson Ramos, Vincent 10-Velasquez, Tigers Draft Pick 1, Giants Draft Pick 1,

This trade represents a little bit of a change in strategy for me. The goal is to pick up as many premium, up the middle prospects as I can while ensuring I remain terrible for next year. All four players I traded were tough to move...but Gray was by far the most difficult. I think he'll be very good. Arcia is a tough play for me because of his defense, Withrow is a reliever, and Avisail has a nice bat, but will he provide the defense, walks, and power to be elite? It's certainly up for debate.

Velasquez is a nice arm, had a nice little breakout season, and is someone to watch. Ramos is a catcher who will remain at the position, offer elite power for the position, and is still young enough to grow. He could easily be a top 5 catcher. He combines with Derek Norris right now for me as what has to be one of the top catching platoons in the IBC.

The Giants 1st round pick will be in a strong area of value for this draft, and the 2nd pick was flipped backwards in order to pick up Grant Green. Even at 30, the pick will provide the opportunity to take a chance on most likely a high upside high school player or an international.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Tigers Draft Pick 1, Nationals Draft Pick 4, to Angels for Grant Green, Tigers Draft Pick 4, Pirates Draft Pick 1,

In this trade I dropped back about 8 picks in the first round and 20 in the 4th, but I picked up Green. While the shine has come off the prospect rose for Green, he still offers a very solid hit tool, positional versatility, and can take a walk. Since a disastrous start with the A's, Green has hit .287/.343/.397 for the Angels in his 1st MLB season.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Reds trades Drew Hutchison, Reds Draft Pick 4, to Nationals for Joe Panik, Nationals Draft Pick 5,

This trade is really a push. Panik is a talented player who stays on the field, but hasn't had the production to match the tools. Hutchison is a pitcher who has consistently had the production, but can't stay on the field.

To me the pitcher was more valuable than the hitter. Even last year, with a deep farm system and knowing that Hutchison was out for the year, BP still had him as the Blue Jays #6 on their Top 10 Under 25. While he got battered in 5 AAA starts after his comeback, Hutchison left a good impression in his other 2 short stops in 2013.

Angels trades Aaron 10-Sanchez, Tigers Draft Pick 2, Nationals Draft Pick 4, to Nationals for Jeff Locke, Stryker 12-Trahan, Giants Draft Pick 1,

There's more of a story behind this trade, but ultimately this was a difficult one for me. The #8 pick represented very good value to me, but given how I believe in the upside on Sanchez, was there going to be a player that represented that type of upside as a pitcher?

To me, the answer was no. While players like Frazier and Meadows and Moran might be available, I don't struggle with upside bats...I struggle with upside arms. With Stewart, Appel, and Gray most likely off the board...who has the ability of Sanchez? No one...

The key to this deal is Trahan. If he can stay behind the plate, the long-term on this deal will probably make it a loss. If he moves to 1b, he goes from being a GUY to being another guy. The challenge is that if he stays behind the plate, his bat will be held back on his overall development, and he's probably a good 3 years away. Having Ramos, Cervelli, Norris, and Romine make my catcher situation as good as any...to get an arm like Sanchez was worth the risk.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres trades Will Middlebrooks, Padres Draft Pick 4, to Nationals for Jorge 9-Bonifacio, Pirates Draft Pick 1,

This was one of the more difficult trades I've done, and as Bren can tell you, I almost backed out of it. Bonifacio is a very good prospect...and I think a bit underrated. However he has a concerning injury history, including hamate bone, and power that has not shown up in games prior to the injury. Given that he is solely a corner outfielder, that is concerning. In a shallow draft, this 1st round pick was a nice to have, not a need to have...and it certainly wasn't keeping me from a player like Middlebrooks.

Middlebrooks is a 3b with game changing power. Over a full season he is a 25-30 homer threat and is an average defender at third. While he could take a few more walks, he's in the right organization to learn. After a disastrous start to 2013 and a trip to AAA, Middlebrooks was a legitimate threat at the plate the last 2 months of the season. Very excited to add this type of power to the organization. I also now own almost the entire 4th round.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Wilson Ramos, Nationals Draft Pick 3, to Marlins for Andrew 11-Susac, Arismendy 0-Alcantara,

Think this is a good trade for both sides. Ramos, if he can stay healthy, is probably a top 5 catcher. Health is a big question, though, as well as if that will force him from behind the plate. If that happens, he's just another 1b bat. However, in the short run at the very least, it's a very nice pickup for Dan.

Susac is another player who, if he can stay on the field, has a 5+ catcher profile. He hits for power, has a good approach at the plate, and easily profiles to stick behind the plate. Alcantara is the player I wanted, though. He's a dynamic player who broke out in a big way this year. He stole 31 bases at an 84% clip, while socking 55 ebh's, and fielding both 2b & ss strongly. His k's & ba are something to keep an eye on, but he also played all of AA as a 21 year old, so time is on his side.

Nationals trades Jake Arrieta, Derek Norris, Tigers Draft Pick 4, to Giants for Lewis 12-Brinson, Giants Draft Pick 4, Segio 12-Alcantara,

I think Norris is wildly underrated. He's a good catcher who hits lefties like Babe Ruth. Unfortunately he really does not hit righties...which presents its challenges. I think more ab's will help, but it's a question. Arrieta was fantastic with the Cubs, and no one questions his stuff. The challenge is that he's 27, and every good start is generally followed with a terrible start.

Picking up my 2nd Alcantara in short time, Sergio offers genuine plus actions at short, and an advanced approach at the plate. He profiles to be a gap-hitting SS who will play the position, and has already started to move quickly.

Brinson is the player I wanted. At this time next year, he could be a top 20 prospect, or out of baseball. He strikes out at an alarming right (and that's being nice), and the hit tool is really iffy right now...but he plays a plus center field already, has excellent power, will take a walk, and can be a terror on the bases. Both Alcantara's and Brinson are exactly the type of prospects I need to be taking chances on.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Will Middlebrooks, Grant Green, to Braves for Austin 11-Hedges,

I'm a huge fan of Middlebrooks. I'm not a fan in that he plays for the Red Sox, I am a fan in that he's going to hit a lot of home runs in his career. I also believe that Grant Green proved in AAA this year, then again with the Angels in 130 ab's, that he is a legitimate first-division starting 2b in the MLB.

Hedges is a guy that I have asked Brandon about a few times, that fits exactly where I'm trying to have my team go right now. Green and Middlebrooks will help me win games in IBC, Hedges will not...but he should be SIM eligible. He's also a consensus top 30-40 prospect, is a developing hitter (good job at HA/AFL, not so much at AA), but will be a legitimate, year-on-year Gold Glove candidate at a premium defensive position. I read reports on both BA & BP that said he could be an All-Star if the bat never gets all the way there...but that both think it will.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees trades Jose 0-Ramirez, Amed 12-Rosario, to Nationals for Rafael 12-De Paula, Darnell 12-Sweeney,

I thin Darnell Sweeney is a very underrated prospect. He's done a great job at each level, and has speed, pop, and should stay at SS. Rafael De Paula is a terrific talent and a Yankee. He has some wicked stuff, but will be 23 when he starts 2013 at what should be HA. There is some thought to try him in the bullpen, but he could be a big-time #2 starter if he develops as a starter.

Jose Ramirez is a player with a low ceiling, high floor. He can play 2b, and has a terrific hit tool. He reached the MLB at 20, and has some positional versatility. Amed Rosario is the lottery ticket here. He's a 17 year old with an incredibly loud toolset. He has the actions and abilities to remain at short, with a bat that can be dreamed on to contribute 20-25 home runs a year.

Nationals trades Robbie Grossman, Tyler Thornburg, Alen 0-Hanson, to Phillies for Kyle Drabek, Edwin Escobar,

So Hanson is the star of this show. He is an electric player who has a loud bat, and has scouts believing strongly in his ability to stay at SS. He may never win a Gold Glove, but his glove should play, and the bat could make him an All-Star. Thornburg has the stuff to pitch in the middle/back of a rotation, and Grossman has a 2nd division starter/4th of skill set.

I'm really hoping that the risk I take on Drabek pays off like Norris/Arrieta did for me. Coming back from TJ, Drabek looked to have almost all his stuff back, pitched very well at each MiLB level, and made it back to MLB. As someone who was starting to put it together at MLB before TJ, this could be a great risk on a former top prospect. But, to me, Escobar was the guy I had to have. A lefty with fantastic stuff, his prospect status is on helium right now. He dominated at 2 levels, and combined strikeout stuff with excellent command. I'm incredibly excited to add these two to my squad...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Clayton Blackburn, Tigers Draft Pick 2, Kevin 0-Kiermaier, to Reds for Patrick 12-Wisdom, Johnathan 12-Williamson,

This trade was tough. The 2nd round pick and Kiermaier are both good assets, but Blackburn was rough to let go. Clayton is clearly going to be an MLB starter, and will be a stalwart in whatever rotation he joins...he'll just never front it. His stuff plays to the middle of the rotation, but could be as low as back-end if he doesn't get all the way there.

Patrick Wisdom is a player who has some upside. He's absolutely a 3b, and has some pop and obp skills with the bat. The problem is that he just doesn't ever really hit the ball. He did not have a great season, but he's young, and there's talent there...and he's in a good organization for development.

Mac Williamson was the guy I wanted, though. He offers terrific power and is coming off of an outstanding 2nd half of the season. He's a good athlete for a man his size, and he'll be able to stay in the outfield. He has a classic corner profile, and though he has some swing and miss in his game. There is a dearth of power in the minors right now, and Mac is a player who carries that tool in a big way.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Athletics trades Natanael 12-Delgado, to Nationals for Ethan Martin,

Cheers to Ethan Martin who, after a disastrous 2010 & 2011 regained his prospect status over the last 2 years after a change of scenery to the Phillies. Martin still features terrific pure stuff, and if he can ever get his walks to 3.5-4.0 per game, he'll be effectively wild enough to pitch in the middle of a rotation...and be the middle no one wants to face. If he doesn't, he's a back-end starter or late inning reliever.

In my continued quest to get lottery tickets, Delgado was a target. While his athleticism and arm will saddle him to left field, he has special offensive potential...and progression could see him wind up hitting in the middle of an MLB lineup. In a years time he could be a top 100 prospect...or released from my squad. Might be tough to positively put money on either...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rangers trades Victor 12-Gonzalez, to Nationals for Francisco Cervelli,

Cervelli is a good value for a team needing a C. He was having his best season as a pro before the injury/scandal, and will return in 2013. He has a solid glove, some pop, and a decent eye.

Gonzalez, a southpaw, pitched all of 2013 in the Arizona League as a 17 year old, and had a 1.13 whip, 10.7 k/9, a 2.30 fra, and a 70% ground ball rate. He has a solid fastball for his age, good command, but will need for his off-speed pitches to continue their development to be a top prospect. For now, he's absolutely someone to watch. For present value versus future promise, this was a very solid deal.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”