Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Justin 16-Dunn, Zack 16-Brown to Indians for Taylor Rogers, Lou Trivino

Dunn is a borderline Top 100 candidate who legitimately excited scouts after a letdown in 2017. Brown was a super helium prospect who’s pitched well at every level, but has never wowed scouts.

My bullpen blew up a bit in real life. Shaw was awful. Barraclough was not great. Melancon and Jones outpitched their peripherals. Curtiss has a 1.30 whip in AAA and blew up at MLB level, and the sim has never loved Petit or Baez. Enter Trivino and Rogers. Both in their primes, both with knockout stuff, and both will restore my bullpen depth. If I needed to backfill 1 position, I probably don’t make this trade. Here it gives me some peace with my pen going into the off-season.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Nate Jones to WhiteSox for Nationals Draft Pick 4, Tigers Draft Pick 4, WhiteSox Draft Pick 4

Nate Jones is a good reliever at an age where he'll still contribute for a while, so long as he stays healthy.

I had zero draft picks. Now I have three. Works out for both of us.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Angels traded Jonathan Holder to Nationals for Leonys Martin

I got Martin as a throw-in for defensive help in a trade in the middle of last year when what looked like a bad Yasiel Puig trade (got back Duda, Martin, and Melancon) ended up serving me quite well. Duda has been a noble servant at 1b and Melancon my closer. Martin was a help last year, but was really pressed into duty this year when Kiermaier went down and he was awesome for me. He was also pretty darn effective in the MLB this year and will be a big help for any team's defense with some pop at the plate. An injury derailed him last year, he'll be 31 when next season starts, and he's been pretty inconsistent as a pro. All that made him expendable with me having Kiermaier, Gardner, and Kemp all able to play in CF. But Martin is a very valuable player in even his worst year.

In return I get Holder, a terrific young RP just entering his prime years. He burst on to our radar with a decent showing for the Yanks last year and an awesome SIM for this year. And he completely justified. The youngster rocked a 140 era+ and he even underpeformed some of his peripherals. He's not perfect. You'd love his k/9 to get closer to his MiLB levels and his bb/9 could use a little shave back to MiLB levels, too...but there's not doubting he's a legit setup option moving forward...and possible closer levels if he can get the bumps in the two other aforementioned areas. He should get an excellent SIM for the 2019 season.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Tyler 16-Wells to Reds for Reds Draft Pick 4

Tyler Wells is a solid young pitcher who looks like he'll scratch at an MLB roster at some point soon. He's k'd well, had a good WHIP, and suppressed average at almost every level. Staying on the field for another full season and an improved bb rate would make him even more interesting.

I'm going to hit a roster crunch. 4th round picks are welcomed.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Eli 16-White to RedSox for RedSox Draft Pick 4

Eli White is a fun, versatile player who can play short, but the A's have wanted to see his versatility. He's definitely showed it to them. He'd also held his own with the bat, until this past season when he broke out a bit in AA and shot up the prospect lists. I think he's a no doubt pro.

I'm trying to own the 4th round of the draft.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates traded Carlos Carrasco, Kenley Jansen, Adam Eaton, David Peralta, Freudis 16-Nova to Nationals for Giancarlo Stanton, Tony Kemp, Bryan Reynolds

Soooo...this was a doozy. JP and I have been talking Stanton for a while now and had something near this framework in place for most of it. Kemp is a really good, versatile player who'll hit a little and have some OBP. Reynolds is a really, really nice prospect who'll find his way to an MLB of spot. Stanton is a beast, and will probably be the MVP of this past SIM season. He was a monster for me and helped solidify my 108 win team. Even though he 'struggled' a bit this past year, I have no doubts he'll be a monster as this Yankee team ascends. He's a superstar.

I had a few issues with my team. No ace starter and Lester/Hill are not getting younger. Carrasco solves that problem for at least 2-4 more years. Replacing Stanton is not really a thing, but my team thrives when they have defense, and Eaton is an OBP machine with Ex/Ex in right. With Aguilar moving into the lineup, Eaton will fit nicely at the top. Peralta just keeps being a good baseball player and he'll be in the mix for left field. Jansen becomes the closer of my refurbished pen. He's a boss. I'm fine with Ahmed as my SS, but Nova either gives me trade bait or a youngster to dream on. None of these guys are young, but none are past their prime...in fact most are coming off near their best seasons or best seasons. I figure I've extended my window with this group 2-3 years...which, who knows what happens when you get to the playoffs? Either way, I'm better prepared for it and will give myself more cracks at it.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Starling Marte, Seuly 15-Matias to Nationals for David Peralta, A.J. Minter, WhiteSox Draft Pick 4

I'm not in love with trading within the division...but this deal came together pretty quickly. I believe Minter will be a closer and Peralta won a Silver Slugger this past year. They are both just really good baseball players. Minter was my #2 lefty behind Chafin, but I also have Rogers & Jennings for depth. Peralta looked to start the year in a platoon capacity for me, despite his strengths as a hitter and holding his own defensively. The draft pick is a pick that exists in this world.

Defense is always critical to me. Whenever Kier's been healthy my team is almost unbeatable. This will give me tons of flexibility in the OF with Eaton as an VG/EX in LF/RF, Marte with EX/VG in LF/CF, Kier with an EX in CF, Gardner VG/AV in LF/CF, Merrifield has a VG in LF, and Pearce just got a solid SIM. It also allows me to use Aguilar & Nova to hunt for real upgrades. As well as the newly acquired Seuly Matias. Matias is just an absolute beast. He rocked 31 hr's this past year...but he has plenty of holes in his game. Some will have him as an easy top 100 (BP), some will have him as a borderline top 100 (MLB Pipeline), some will have him borderline Royals top 10 (BA)...but no one doubts the promise. He's a very real asset.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Rich Hill, Dalton Pompey to Pirates for Tony Kemp, Bryan Reynolds

Rich Hill won't stop pitching like a mid-rotation starter. He's 38...and he's still really effective. He'll get a fine SIM, but between missing starts, averaging 5.3 innings per appearance, and dropping peripherals...there's clearly an end in sight. And he's a rough fit in a 4-man rotation. I've got LeBlanc, Lively, and Triggs to back up Carrasco/Lester/Hendricks/Wood. Pompey is a total flyer.

And I get back two players I traded JP. Kemp will be a good backup who gets on-base and holds a glove across quite a few positions. Reynolds is a very legit prospect who just can't stay on the field. If he can get over hand and arm injuries, he's a easy MLB contributor...whether as a 4th OF or starter is still up in the air. Still, getting two young, very useful pieces for Hill is a nice win.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Jesus Aguilar, Andrew Triggs, Tony Kemp, RedSox Draft Pick 4 to Braves for James 15-Kaprielian, Blake 16-Rutherford, MJ 17-Melendez, Braves Draft Pick 2

I traded for Aguilar with the idea that he'd be my starting first baseman in 2019. Other moves dictated that probably wasn't going to happen as it stood. Dude can rake...no doubt. Kemp is another valuable player who can start at 2b or in the of...but, again, pretty superfluous for me with my depth. Triggs fit that bill as well. Ideally he stays healthy and is a #3/4 starter, but his sim will be more 4/5 for 2019...so in the pecking order behind LeBlanc, Lively, & Chatwood, and in the running with the decent zips of Kemp.

The difference between the certainty of what was traded away and what I got back was helped with the pick swap, going from mid 4th to early 2nd. The haul itself is exciting, too. Rutherford regained a lot of his prospect status next year, and looks to be a borderline top 100 guy. If he can stay in center, he could be an all-star. If he can develop his raw power, he could be an all-star. He doesn't do either? Probably a 4th OF. Kaprielian has premium stuff, but hasn't seen the mound in a few years. He's back to throwing this off-season and the A's will take it slow...but still have hopes he can develop as a front line starter...but he has to stay on the mound. Melendez is a really fun addition. He's an advanced catcher for his age (threw out 42% of SAL stealers), is a strong leader, and slugged 54 ebh's in only 419 ab's. He still needs development time in both areas (receiving skills & not k'ing as much), but he's got a strong chance to be a legitimate first division starter...and he's a '17.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Braves Draft Pick 2 to Royals for Jonathan Villar, Royals Draft Pick 3

In this draft, that 2nd rounder is a really good pick...and there's a real difference in the quality between that pick and the 3rd rounder when you study the draft.

But, I'll take the difference vs. the risk associated, given the addition of a versatile player who has averaged over 2 wins over the last three years. Villar will steal a base, pick it pretty well at 2b/ss, get on base, and, every once in a while, pop a home run. He'll balance out the all hit, no field Asdrubal Cabrera as an IF option off my bench.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Seuly 15-Matias to Yankees for Antonio Senzatela

Matias is an insanely exciting prospect. He just hit 31 homers in his first season of pro ball as a 20 year old. His ceiling is a middle of the order monster. He comes with some real risk...sometimes he just can't hit the baseball...but he's a really, really fun prospect who I wasn't looking to move.

But...I got back a 23 year old mid-rotation starter. Senzatela has 2.43 career era/1.07 whip in the minors, alongside an era+ of 108 in 225 MLB ip's. Senzatela can be inconsistent for sure, and he'll be challenged by Coors, but my aging rotation just got a very real shot in the arm. And if he finds his way out of Denver? That would be a great day for the IBC Nats.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Wade LeBlanc to Pirates for Bryson 16-Brigman

LeBlanc has been terrific insurance for me for a few years now. I had every intention on carrying him as insurance into this season, but then Lively got a very usable SIM, and I got Senzatela, and Waueguelsjldkjsf, and all of a sudden I had a real solid amount of very usable depth. LeBlanc had another good year for the Mariners, and there's no reason to think he'll fall off a cliff.

Getting Brigman back is a nice return. He can absolutely pick it, with an arm better for 2b, but playable at short. People weren't too high on him as a hitter, until he raked at HA & AA this past season. He's had a higher slugging % each year and each level, and he hit .310 across the two levels this past year...with 21 steals. Maybe he keeps developing, maybe he's maxed out, but there's a utility player there as a baseline...and I'll take the risk on higher.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded Jake Cave, Ben 16-Braymer to Nationals for Pedro Baez

Pedro Baez was on my roster for over three years...which is an eternity for my players. Along the way he's consistently developed into a strong middle reliever...until he broke out into a legitimate 8th inning arm this past season. While already 30, there's definitely a few more solid years on that arm. He would have been an easy keep if my roster hadn't been so lopsided with relievers.

Jake Cave is a guy I've liked for a while. There's very real doubt if he's an MLB caliber starter, but he brings a lot to the table as a 4th of. He can capably play all 3 positions, get on-base, and has broken out some pop in the last two seasons. He was worth a 1.5 war over a half season with the Twins last year, backing a pretty consistently strong MiLB career. He'll battle for backup OF at-bats for me with Gardner, Pearce, and Beaty. Braymer is a fringy prospect who, while a little old for the levels, absolutely dominated A & HA this past season in the Nationals system...becoming their MiLB pitcher of the year. He has a very mediocre fastball that he places well and plays up in shorter stints, a mediocre change of pace, but a solid curveball. I'm sure he's a reliever down the line, but the Nats will probably give him every chance to see if his success as a starter can be repeated at the upper levels. His breakout last year makes him a very interesting follow.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

I was thinking if feels like Cave has been around forever. I looked it up and he was drafted in 2011. Shit of get off the pot already.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Freudis 16-Nova to Pirates for Carlos Gonzalez

I think Nova is a very strong prospect. If he's a SS. While he could still be a more than capable 2b, he's not nearly as valuable. With a long developmental curve and positional questions, he could be moved.

CarGo is certainly passed his best. No doubts there. But he had strong splits against rhp's the last few years and should be more than usable vs. righties. Just not vs. lefties. Since I carry a 6-man bench and start the oft-injured Kiermaier, he's a strong addition for 2019. So long as he signs with a team.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded Triston 18-Casas, Kolby Allard to Nationals for Jon Lester, Zach 17-Pop

Lester is still a really good pitcher. While he’s now 35 and his peripherals are getting worse, he still gets batters out...and will be a very good pitcher in the SIM. While Pop may not be a closer, I think he’s going to be a very good back-end reliever...hoping he gets out of Baltimore.

The return is exciting. While Allard’s stuff has backed up a little since he was drafted, he has got people out at every level. He’s seen succcess at AAA and he’s still only 21. He’s at least a back-end starter for a long time, with some upside if his fastball comes back. Casas is a really fun get. He’s a monster bat who comes with some injury and level concerns, but you don’t have to dream much to see a legimite 60 bat/80 power hitter. I’m buying his upside.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rockies traded Lucas Giolito, Clint Frazier, Taylor Trammell, Jordan 18-Groshans to Nationals for Mark Melancon, Yasmani Grandal, Kyle Hendricks, Whit Merrifield

Here's the trade that starts the rebuild process...and the one that will probably define it. Nate's team is ripping it up despite giving catcher ab's to the Gomes/Nottingham duo, and having to scramble through the Rodon & Taillon injuries. Insert a top 25 SIM starter in Hendricks and one of the top C's in the league in Grandal. Merrifield is another all-star, but he got in when we expanded the deal. Melancon will help shore up Nate's bullpen. I believe this deal makes him competitive with the top teams in the IBC.

Coming back are all players I'm a huge fan of...and ones that should be the building blocks of the next good Nationals team. After a very real struggle in 2018, Giolito has looked every bit of the part of the player that was one of the top prospects in baseball just a few years ago. The secondary numbers also back the breakout to this point. Clint Frazier is another former top 25ish prospect who suffered through a tough concussion-filled 2018 before breaking out in 2019. The kid, while still a bit of a mess in the field, has shown the power projected of him, and every capability of hitting in the middle of an MLB lineup. Taylor Trammell is a current top 20 prospect who has every capability of breaking into the pros as a centerfielder with speed and power. He's rocketed through the minors, and could see his first taste of MLB action as soon as this season. Groshans was a player I needed in here from the start. The #12 pick in last year's draft, Groshans has absolutely ripped up the minors. He has the potential to stay at short, where his prospect status would rise even higher as a potential middle of the order bat. Even as a 3b, he has the ability to be an impact player. He's going to be fun to watch.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates traded Miguel Andujar, Jason 16-Groome, Aaron Civale, Shane 17-Baz, Brian Howard, Seth 18-Beer to Nationals for Brett Gardner, Carlos Carrasco, Matt Carpenter, Alex Wood

Going to JP are three excellent SIM players, and a incredibly usable 4th. Carrasco has had his illness and struggles at the MLB level, but he's a top of the rotation arm when healthy...both real life and SIM. Wood is another terrific SIM starter who just can't find his way to health in real life this year. He threw his first bullpen session yesterday, but there's a decent chance relieving is his future if he can't keep health. Carpenter has been the backbone of my team for a few years now, but he's had some real MLB struggles as well...though, more than anyone, he's capable of a monster hot streak and he's a SIM stud. Gardner is an excellent SIM and real life 4th OF.

Andujar is a focal point in the deal for me. With Voit taking over at 1b, I'm sure the Yankees will continue to give him every opportunity to own 3b. He has some serious pop and proved he can handle MLB pitching in the middle of a lineup. Seth Beer was one of the top hitters in the NCAA in 2018, and has done nothing but hit on his way to AA. He will have to find a position at some point, but the bat will carry until then. Then we get to the cavalcade of pitchers we get back. Baz has been plagued by inconsistency since being popped in the first round in 2017, but has electric stuff he started to harness until he got ill this year. He's in the perfect organization to help develop his terrific stuff. Jason Groome is another pitcher with electric stuff...but injuries have seriously held him back. He should find his way back from TJ at some point this year, and the hope that the framework that made him a 1-1 candidate is still there. Civale is the Shane Bieber starter kit. He's been effective at almost every stop along the way by his pitch sequencing and lack of walks. He walks a tight rope every time on the mound, but he's already hit AAA and could be a back of the rotation starter for years. Brian Howard is a huge righty who does a great job keeping hitters off balance, and has never had an era higher than 3.48 at any stop. He's dealing in AA again, and could find his way to the majors by the end of this season.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Max Kepler, Lance McCullers, Anderson Tejeda, Cole Irvin, CJ 18-Alexander to Nationals for Justin Turner, Kenley Jansen, Adam Eaton, Taylor Rogers

Well I almost certainly cost myself the division with this one. Jansen and Rogers are lights out relievers. Both among the best for their sidedness in the game. Eaton and Turner both have absolutely terrific SIM's, Turner a little better offensively and Eaton with a phenomenal obp and defensive rating. It's a ton to give up in one trade...but Rogers is the only one on the right side of 30.

CJ Alexander rocketed up to AA since being drafted last year before getting hurt this year. He'll be back at some point and continue to be one to monitor. Anderson Tejeda has been around prospect circles for a while and has looked more like a real SS over the past year. He has some real bat potential, but he doesn't need to get all the way their to be valuable. Cole Irvin held his own at the MLB level after years of dominating the minors. Dude's got a real chance to be a #3/4 starter. Then it comes to the real parts of this deal for me. McCullers has every ability to pitch at the top of a rotation. He's coming off TJ, but a real recovery would give me the backbone of a strong rotation. Kepler is in the process of breaking out this year as he'll begin to enter his prime. He's long been a supremely talented player who's skills outstripped his results. That's all changed this year...and, if it continues, I've found another real, middle of the order bat.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Starling Marte to Astros for Franklin Barreto, Nick Neidert, Tristen 17-Lutz

Marte is a terrific fielder who can affect the game with his glove, legs, and bat. He's a solid SIM player who's in the process of having another good season as he hits 30.

Lutz is a really fun prospect who'll I'll enjoy watching during his climb. He plays a good outfield and has a real bat. Neidert has some injury struggles, but has the upside of a #3 starter. Barreto is a real one to watch. He's been a top prospect, lost some shine, then figured out some power. And he's still only 23. I think there's a potential all-star 2b there when he gets his chance.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rays traded Lane Thomas to Nationals for Jonathan Villar

Jonathan isn't as good as as his 2016 breakout. He isn't as bad as his 2017 crash back to earth. He is what he's been for last year and this year. A decent glove, some good speed, playable OBP, and some random pop. He's still only 28 and an entirely usable bench option or second division starter.

Lane Thomas may be the outfield prospect version of Villar. He was a fine prospect until an absolute monster breakout last season where belted 27 homers off a previous high of 8 in a season. He can capably play all across the outfield and his reality is most likely a 4th OF...but if you squint hard enough there's a 15-homer, 15-steal, above average CF. 2018 was his first fully healthy season, he made a decent MLB debut in 2019, and he's still only 23. He's well worth the gamble against what we already know about Villar.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Franklin Barreto, Taylor Trammell to Royals for Dakota Hudson, Bo Bichette

I've been somewhat openly moving Trammell to find some more IF help. I've got Kier, Frazier, Kepler, and Reynolds in the OF...plus prospects like Rutherford, Lutz, and Hannah. Trammell is phenomenal...but a little excess. Barreto was not expected to go. I think he can be a 25-30 hr 2b...but got an offer I couldn't pass up.

Let's start with Hudson. After racing through the minors, he had an excellent stretch as an RP at the MLB level last year. He started this season in the MLB rotation and while he's been better than his peripherals suggest...it's still an exciting start to his MLB career for a well regarded prospect. Bichette is the get. He's the real deal. People believe he can stay at SS, he has fantastic pedigree, and he has the chops to be a batting title winner. He's reached AAA at 21 and he could be an MLBer by the end of this year. I'm here for it.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Cardinals traded Cal 18-Raleigh to Nationals for Yusmeiro Petit

Yusmeiro Petit is a sim god who was an almost Cy Young Award Winner for me. He's putting together another really good pro season.

Raleigh is a real C prospect who's having a fine year in HA while dramatically improving his prospects to stay behind the plate. If he makes the pros he's most likely a back up who could DH on occasion, but, if you squint, and the D improvement continues, there's a first division level bat in there.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Steve Pearce, Kevin Kiermaier, Lou Trivino to Yankees for Lazaro 16-Armenteros, Edward 15-Cabrera

Steve Pearce is a 36-year old SIM player who can hit and is pretty well liked by the SIM. He has some positional versatility so he's a nice player to have. Trivino has one of the better SIMs for a reliever in the game...he's also have a rough go of 2019. While the secondary numbers still like him, he hasn't really turned the corner yet on the counting stats and is getting hit way too hard. Kiermaier was tough to lose. When he played for me, I won. That said, closing in on 30 and playing a very dangerous style of CF, he's not in my long term plans. He's been a phenomenal IBC Nat.

My return is absolutely boom or bust. Arementeros has a huge ceiling as a hitter and is having a very good year as a 20 year old in HA...but he's struck out 117 times in 284 ab's. That's not acceptable. He has a good eye and he's a fine fielder, so if he cuts down on the k's, he's a legitimate middle of the order thumper. He's got time to figure it out. Cabrera is going to be fun. He has absolutely filthy hard stuff. While the stats weren't breathtaking, he made a TON of progress last year before absolutely breaking out this year. Pretty young for the level, Cabrera has absolutely destroyed HA with a 0.93 whip, 11 k's/9, and cutting his bb's/9 by 1 while almost doubling his k/bb rate. He has the best pure stuff in a pretty good Marlins system. He's most likely a reliever, but there's a top of the rotation arm there. The Marlins will have patience to get it out.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

RedSox traded David Bote to Nationals for Asdrubal Cabrera, Edward 15-Cabrera

Asdrubal can hit. He can't field, but the dude can hit and the SIM has always liked his bat. We'll miss him, but he's on the back side of his career. The younger Cabrera is an absolutely electric arm who was recently promoted to AA. He's always more likely for a bullpen role as longer as he can't go consistently deeper than 5 ip's, but I'm pretty sure he's a no doubt MLB arm in some capacity...and he could be a lot of fun if he breaks past expectations.

I'm hoping Bote is the modern Cabrera with a much better glove. He can hit, get on base, hit for some pop, and he'll be my 2b moving forward...but, in a pinch, he can also play SS, 3B, and COF. He's still only 26, so he'll grow with my core. He's the type of player I built my first good teams behind.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”