Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Pirates trades Pirates Draft Pick 5, to Nationals for Jordan Stephens,

Cleaning up my roster a bit...I love Stephens. He's a good prospect in a very deep White Sox system who was very good in AA this past year, after missing the start of the season.

I got a 5th round pick to stay roster compliant.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Austin 15-Riley, Will 16-Smith, Phillies Draft Pick 2, to DBacks for Raisel Iglesias, DBacks Draft Pick 4,

Riley and Smith are both very real, very good prospects. Both found their way to AA, and both have excellent upside in premium positions. The pick is solid, close to #60.

The 4th is nice to keep roster stability, but Iglesias was clearly the catch here. My team had one dominant arm in the back of the pen (Barraclough), and, with the additions of Iglesias, Jones, & Colome, I believe we now have four, alongside a good crop of lefties. 4th starter and the pen were my biggest holes heading into '18, and addressing them before the draft is always good.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Mookie Betts, 2017 Draft Pick 83, to Tigers for Giancarlo Stanton, Andrew Chafin,

Thought this trade might be dead a few times...but here it is. Very difficult for me to move Betts who, at 24, is one of the more dynamic young talents in the league and whose defense plays well at my stadium. The third round pick is solid, but immaterial to the deal.

Chafin is one of the better and more versatile lefty relievers out there...he's just wildly inconsistent. But he's not why this deal happened. Stanton brings a thunder to the lineup I've never had. He'll make the entire lineup better with his presence, and his +8 in right made this deal almost impossible for me not to do. I lose age, but I add a presence that will make me better over the next few years. Had to take that leap.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Sam 15-Hilliard, 2017 Draft Pick 95, 2017 Draft Pick 131, to Marlins for 2017 Draft Pick 132, John 0-Curtiss,

Gave up a prospect I really like, a solid draft pick, and a one pick swap. Hilliard is a legit 4-tool prospect who'll always have the advantage of hitting for Colorado. The picks are the picks.

The get here is Curtiss. He'll slot in with Jones/Barraclough/Chafin/Jennings behind Iglesias to really help the pen. There's hope that the 24-year old has really found something in the bullpen since his transition from starter to make this deal more than a one-year fix for me.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates trades Mark Melancon, Patrick Corbin, Corbin 16-Burnes, A.J. Minter, to Nationals for J.T. Realmuto, Raisel Iglesias, Kyle McGrath,

Feel free to tear it apart...it's not amazing on it's face, I'll admit it. Realmuto and Iglesias are probably the two best real life players in this trade. Realmuto is a young, ascendant catcher, and Iglesias is turning into a lights out reliever. The SIM was harsh on McGrath, who has proven himself at every level as an left hand reliever so far.

Here's my side of the trade. Rich Hill will (probably) not last forever...nor will Yusmeiro Petit as a top SIM starter. That's going to leave a gigantic gap in my rotation. Corbin was one of the top young pitchers in baseball before injuries wiped out 2014 and some of 2015. Corbin fought his way through 2016 before re-establishing himself as a good starter in 2017...and the SIM rewarded him. Burnes is a top 80 prospect, as high as top 25, after a monster year. He'll be a mid-rotation starter in short time, and even has a usable SIM in 2018. Burnes & Corbin will go alongside some combination of Hendricks, Triggs, Williams, Font, and Alex Meyer to find four solid starters moving forward. For the present, Chirinos has a better SIM than Realmuto, so he was my starter anyway. Melancon has a better SIM than Iglesias to be my closer (144 era+ to 131 era+), and Minter has a far better SIM than McGrath.

I'm going to need to find a long term solution at C, sure, but I improved my current bullpen drastically, while providing solutions for what will be a huge gap in my rotation long-term. Think this deal was a win-win.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Won't tear it apart, just find it funny you traded for guys you traded away.. Hey.. whatever works!
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

I'm an excellent judge of talent. :)
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Jose Martinez, Wei-Yin Chen, to Twins for Jose Reyes, Kyle 16-Cody,

Chen has a fine SIM who should be able to help the back of Jason's rotation until his elbow explodes. Martinez falls out of bed hitting, but it's just not enough to be a full time 1b or cof for me, and, with a deep bench, he was expendable.

Reyes gives me some needed depth, as he saw time at 2b, ss, 3b, lf, & cf last year and still hit respectably. If he sees significant time for me, that'll be trouble, but he'll be an asset with his legs off the bench and won't kill me if he has to play because of injury. Cody was a big get for me. He gives me depth at the 16 to allow Hampson & Burnes to transition to the main roster, and, in almost every ranking I read, he's one more repeat year and some secondary development away from a top 100 ranking. He features an explosive four-seamer, a biting two-seamer, a developing change, and a breaking ball with upside. He made HA in his first year, and the development of those last two pitches will be crucial to hitting his ceiling as a mid-rotation starter.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Trevor Williams, to Twins for Dom Nunez,

Williams has a track record of success for his entire MiLB career, and was excellent down the stretch for the Pirates. He should remain a solid starter moving forward.

Nunez is a complete lottery ticket. His catching skills should get him to MLB by themselves, he has a discerning eye at the plate, he has double digit power, and he's been young for every level he's been at. That said, he hasn't hit a lick in two years and the AFL. That will be a big problem in terms of him hitting his ceiling if he can't figure it out, but I'll need a long-term replacement for Chirinos and he's worth the risk.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Giants trades Justus Sheffield, Cole 14-Tucker, Alex Blandino, Michael 15-Matuella, to Nationals for Wilmer Font, Alex Colome, Jedd Gyorko, Ryan Buchter,

Gyorko is the best current player in the deal. He’s a good super utility player with a good bat and pop. He’s not a superstar, but he’s a heck of an overall player. Font had a heck of a year in AAA last year and had a very good SIM. There’s upside here for sure, but he’ll have a hard time cracking the Dodgers deep rotation, and he’s gotten rocked as a reliever. Buchter is a nice lefty reliever and Colome is a good, not great, righty.

I’m really excited about the haul back. Sheffield is the star of the show as a consensus top-50 prospect. He’s small, so durability is a concern, but he has top of the rotation stuff, and was terrific at AA and AFL. Speaking of starters with stuff, Matuella has top of the rotation stuff…just can’t stay on the mound. He was a potential 1-1 before TJ happened, and he’s had several setbacks since. Tucker’s not as sexy. His ceiling is that of a solid starting shortstop, his floor is a long MLB career. He is adored by the advanced metrics community, so I’m hoping my shortstop of the future is there between him and Hampson. Last piece was Blandino. He had a very good year between AA and AAA, plays 2b/3b/ss, and the power that was always there manifested. Hopefully this was just the start.

Combined with Hampson, Burnes, Craig, and Cody, all of a sudden a pretty bereft farm system is looking much better.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins trades Kyle Crick, to Nationals for Eric Stout,

Stout has had a modestly succesful MiLB career, earning a 101 era+ in the SIM with the always popular 1 start.

Crick is a former top prospect who flashed really good stuff as a reliever with really good results in his first run as a reliever last year. Rough SIM, but if he has another year like last, he'll be a very viable late inning arm moving forward.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins trades Nathan 17-Perry, to Nationals for Xavier Cedeno,

Nils gets a very solid lh reliever who tends to get way more SIM love than real life love, but would make his life easier if he could stay healthier.

Nathan Perry had pretty serious helium heading into the 2017 draft, and is a real catcher with real thunder in his bat. We've also heard that before and it almost never pans out. Perry is a good enough lottery ticket to roster while switching Hampson to my active roster to maintain compliance. Between Nunez, Hunt, Miroglio, and Perry, there's hope something pops.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Justus Sheffield, Kyle 16-Cody, Corbin 16-Burnes, to DBacks for Bryan Shaw, Alex Wood,

This was a tough one for me. Sheffield and Burnes are both legit Top 60 prospects, if not higher. Sheffield has huge upside, but his two starts this year have shown his plusses and minuses. Awesome stuff, lack of control. Burnes is as steady as a prospect gets, but has more mid-rotation stuff. Cody was a huge helium prospect last year.

I've been after Wood for a while. Health is an issue, for sure, but he's a legitimate #2 starter every time he touches the ball. I'd be ecstatic if either Burnes or Sheffield developed into Wood, injuries and all. More importantly, he gives me a legit top of the rotation arm to pair with Hendricks and Hill in the playoffs, and step right into Hill's void when he retires. Shaw is a reliever who can ably perform as closer while Melancon is out, and is a top tier set-up man when Mark returns.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Kyle Crick, Cole 14-Tucker, Ryan 15-Mountcastle, to Indians for Zach Davies, Sheldon 16-Neuse, Jeren 17-Kendall,

So we're shipping some really good stuff to the land of LeBron. Mountcastle is a big-time helium prospect from last year who's recovering from a fractured hand, but everyone expects to be a legit bat. I think quite a bit about the potential of Crick as a reliever, and he's showing it, but he's not a huge help to me this year. Tucker kills me. I believe he's a very real SS who'll have an above average bat. He's so underrated.

The big piece here, obviously, is Davies. He's 25 and is what he is...just a really consistent, young middle of the rotation starter. The thing is...that makes him one of the 25 most valuable zips starters. His sim should do very well with the defense I put behind him. Neuse straight up exploded in his second year as a pro. He mashed in A, HA, AA, and the AFL. He's a bit positionless, and off to a slow start this year, but there's potential for a real MLB bat here. Kendall will be a slow burn for a college prospect. He is MLB-ready as a CF, but there's real issues with his hit tool and how his speed plays on the bases. That said, the Dodgers can develop, and there's a real .260/good obp/20 hr/30 sb/gold glover in there if you squint really hard. Anything in that ballpark would be thrilling.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Garrett 16-Hampson, Sheldon 16-Neuse, Jeren 17-Kendall, to Royals for Steve Pearce, Jeimer Candelario, Oswaldo 15-Cabrera,

Neuse and Kendall didn't even get off the plane. Both just got here and both are fine prospects, but I'm happy to get real talent for them. Hampson will be dearly missed. He fell to me in the draft, and just hasn't stopped hitting. I believe he'll be an MLB regular at 2b with the potential for the hit tool making him an all-star.

That said, Cesar Hernandez is also a heck of a 2b...and 3b was a major problem. Enter Jeimer Candelario. He's a fine 3b, gets on base well, and has some pop. He's only 24 and has loud tools, so there's still room for growth...and he seems to get better each year. I believe at worst he's an MLB regular who fills my 3b hole for the foreseeable future. Pearce is a 111 ops+ in the sim, has positional flexibility, and is raking in Toronto. He's also 35...so we'll see how long I see value here. Cabrera is a professional baseball player.
Yankees

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Ryon Healy to Athletics for Trevor Richards

I've got a decent amount of hitters, so this is basically a hope that Ryon Healy's season in Seattle is less true breakout, more flash in the pan. That said, he's really stinging the ball right now, and there's a past that shows that he can do just that. Jury's definitely out here.

For me, given Petit's struggles as a starter for me, and Triggs' struggles in real life, Richards is a hedge. Having gone undrafted out of college, Richards has done nothing but get people out since he's been a pro. While about the appropriate age for each level, he's flown through minors and found himself in the Marlins rotation this year...and he's really held his own. The SIM cautiously likes him, and he's justifying it so far. Here's hoping this nets me a back-end starter.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Jeimer Candelario, Alex Meyer to Rays for Jesus Aguilar

Been a minute on the trade front. I gave up a decent amount here. Candelario is young and fun. I think he's going to be a very real 3b moving forward. He's already showing up at 24. Meyer was above average as a SIM starter this year, and, while he's out, he should be very useful next year...and even more valuable if his recover from TJ is successful.

Aguilar intrigued me last year when he crushed AAA. He impressed me when he held his own in his call-up with the Brewers. He's just destroyed it this year in his first full MLB season. With an OPS hovering around 1.000, and what looks like eligibility at 1b & 3b, Aguilar will help my SIM team this year as a bat off the bench...and he should anchor my lineup next year...as long as he's anywhere near this good.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Matt Davidson, Laz 17-Rivera, Nationals Draft Pick 1, Nationals Draft Pick 2, Nationals Draft Pick 4 to WhiteSox for Miguel Andujar, Alec Mills, WhiteSox Draft Pick 5

I gave up a solid chunk of change here. 3 draft picks including my top 2, regardless of position, are a significant investment. Davidson has made the type of changes (WALKS!) that Andujar will have to continue to make, and I was looking forward to watching Rivera and Walls grow together to see who'll take over as my SS.

For me, though, I get help now and going forward. I've been after Mills for a little bit, on and off. He got a terrific SIM and, despite a terrible AAA campaign, will shore up my pitching rotation for the rest of the season. He'll probably be worth very little next year, but he's a big improvement for this one. I've loved Andujar for a while, but the minute I heard the Yanks won't even listen on him in any deals, I needed him back. While he won't take a walk just yet, he has big boy power and has shown he can handle the bat from a contact standpoint. Still just 23, I'll now have him, Aguilar, Stanton, Ozuna, and Grandal putting up serious numbers in the prime of their career, alongside the ageless Matt Carpenter.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Tigers traded Jon Lester, Angels Draft Pick 3 to Nationals for Marcell Ozuna, WhiteSox Draft Pick 5

I had a lot of belief that Ozuna was going to continue his breakout in 2018. So did ZiPS. He has not. He's been remarkably mediocre. There's still an incredibly talented player in there...there's just a wonder if, without good lineup protection (e.g. Stanton), will he find consistency as an offensive force.

I'm betting the answer to that is 'no'. And I'm getting an excellent pitcher in return...but Lester comes with his own faults, too. While having a terrific year, he's also a year older and his K rate has dropped a bit. That said, ZiPS is a huge fan, and he figures to combine with Hill, Hendricks, and Wood to give me an outstanding 4-man rotation...this year and next (the year after that will be interesting). Ozuna has an outstanding SIM, though, so the pick swap covers me for Ozuna's daily contributions.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Trevor Richards to Indians for Tony Kemp, Omar 17-Cruz

It looks like Trevor Richards may be good. His current counting stats are solid at MLB and were excellent at AAA. Advanced statistics does everything from love him to casually dislike him. He's been terrific lately, and I think there's a long-term #4 starter with some potential #3 seasons ahead of him.

Omar Cruz is a solid, young arm that has dismantled R & A- ball hitters in his first year of organized ball. He's a little undersized, but features a funky delivery, excellent control, and the upside of 3 above average pitches. There's no current worry of moving him off starting. That said, Kemp was obviously the get for me here. The man just hits all day. He has a .312/.389/.420 career line in the minors, and, seeing consistent MLB ab's for the first time, is slashing .293/.382/.408 for the Astros. He'll be eligible and playable at at least lf, cf, & 2b next year. With my lineup pretty chock full of power (even Ahmed is on pace for 20ish homers!), Kemp should provide some OBP & steals with consistent playing time. He's also got a halfway decent SIM should anything crazy happen to my roster down the stretch.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded J.J. 17-Matijevic, Angels Draft Pick 3 to BlueJays for Brett Gardner, BlueJays Draft Pick 5

The picks are fine. They are the cost of a real MLB player and a promising, but far away positionless player. On to the players...

Matijevic is a fun young player who will absolutely hit. He's done so so far, and shows no signs of stopping. The problem is that he is pretty positionless. If he has to play 1b or a COF, the bat really needs to play up for there to be value there. If he can find another spot on the field he can absolutely be a player.

Gardner is old. He also still finds a way to get on-base, and is an absolutely elite outfielder who still gets on base, has a little pop, and can steal a base. He's on pace for another 4 win season, and should continue to have value through next year. He and Kemp and Pearce will battle for some LF time.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Nationals Draft Pick 3 to Athletics for Domingo German

A 3rd round pick is pretty good.

Hopefully, Domingo German is better. German found his way to the MLB in 2017 after pretty outstanding results in AA & AAA. He more than held his own in 14 innings out of the pen, which after some injuries, gave him a pretty direct path to the Yankees roster as a swingman this year. In 19 games and 13 starts, he had a pretty ugly ERA. But that belied a 10.4 k/9, a walk rate closer to his MiLB average, and an xFIP of 3.98 and a 3.76 SIERA. Even his FIP was over a run under his ERA. Some arm troubles have tabled him recently, but no one is overly concerned yet. German has really good stuff, and the underlying numbers and lack of good starting pitching will probably keep the Yanks hoping he's a starter. If that doesn't work, he's a potentially dominant pen arm. If we hit the worst case there, that's still good value for a 3rd rounder.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Alec Mills to Reds for Bryan Reynolds

Alec Mills had solid 2016 & 2017 MiLB seasons and received a very strong SIM. He could easily pitch for most contenders in the playoffs, and should give Ken a boost as he battles for a playoff spot down the stretch. Mills' 2018 has not been nearly as good, so there's a decent chance his SIM takes a big hit moving forward...but he's still young and still a decent prospect. There could certainly be future value there.

To move Mills inside the NL playoff race, I needed a real prospect back...and Bryan Reynolds is certainly one of those. Reynolds was a well enough though of prospect to go in the 2nd round in 2016 and be a centerpiece of the McCutchen trade...but he was still a little under the radar in a good Pirates system and an early-season hamate bone injury didn't help. Even with the injury, Reynolds was placed into AA and has been terrific. He's a good outfielder who can play all 3 positions, he has excellent bat control from both sides of the plate, and can take a pitch. There are some swing and miss concerns, and the power is developing...so he's not a sure thing...but he is squarely on everyone's radar these days.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Cesar Hernandez, Zach Davies, Richard Bleier to WhiteSox for Whit Merrifield, Justin 16-Dunn, Zach 17-Pop

Hernandez is a good 2b who gets on base, plays a respectable 2b (and a good 3b!), and is a lot of the offense that Merrifield is...and has really been under-the-radar good for the last few seasons. Bleier is intriguing. He's due back by the start of next season, and will have sub-2.00 era stat lines for the last 3 MLB seasons with 2 of those supported by FIP. He's not sexy, but he's effective. The swing in this trade for Jim is Zach Davies. No matter what you think, 2018 has been a disappointment. He hasn't been healthy for almost all of it. But he was a rock-solid mid-rotation starter in the seasons before, is still only 25, and, most importantly, the SIM LOVES him. He won't fall too far next season, and should be right back up if he can stay healthy.

Pop is a young reliever with some eye-popping stats up to AA this year and is, most importantly for me, a '17. Justin Dunn is a fringe top-100 prospect who has retained prospect status this year at HA/AA after a pretty disastrous 2017. There's no doubt he's a risky prospect, but the upside is very exciting. The obvious get here, though, is Merrifield. The dude just keeps getting better and better. While not completely re-producing the pop he showed last year, he does have 46 ebh's, will probably double his walk total, has improved his defensive metrics, and will probably get back over 30 steals. He's versatile and has also raised his average by almost 20 points in the process. He was already a near all-star caliber player last year, and has solidified himself as one this year. He's an older 29, but I'm happy with the trajectory he's on.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Quite a busy and productive deadline day...here's what went down:

Nationals traded Mark Reynolds to Mets for Yankees Draft Pick 4

Mark Reynolds won't stop hitting, but I just don't have any room for him.

Nationals traded Miguel Andujar, Domingo German to Phillies for Justin Turner

As a Yankee fan, I'm certainly hoping German can find some consistency in play and health. He just might be a reliever. Andujar is a force with the bat, and only getting better, but he is an unmitigated disaster defensively...and there's a pretty good chance he may end up a DH as he matures.

Justin Turner is a decade older than Andujar, but he's phenomenal in the SIM, is having a very good year since returning from injury, and is far more playable defensively than Andujar. German was worth the upgrade for a few years.

Nationals traded Yankees Draft Pick 4 to Athletics for Brandon Drury

There was a lot of hope in Drury before this nightmare of a 2018 season, but, even then, he produced in AAA and he's only 26. If he's a productive MLBer again, this was a good trade.

Nationals traded BlueJays Draft Pick 5, Nationals Draft Pick 5 to Athletics for Dalton Pompey

As recent as 2014 & 2015, Pompey was a helium prospect. 2016 was a tough season and 2017 a lost season due to a concussion and knee injuries. 2018 has also been tough on the injury front, but, when on the field, Pompey has performed...and continues to give the Jays hope that there's a future solid pro here.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”