2012 Pirates ring ceremony, year in review DVD

Home of your relocated 5-time World Series champions

Moderator: Cardinals

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

2012 Pirates ring ceremony, year in review DVD

Post by Cardinals »

Yes. The Pirates are finally champions after long last. It was the third pennant that finally sealed the deal, but here we are, drinking champagne, you guys.

2012 was a different year for my Pirates. The past three years, I've built my team on pitching, and set all sorts of league records in 2010 that will probably stand for awhile (122 wins, 2.70 team ERA, 1,521 strikeouts), but each year ended in some sort of heartbreaking loss -- 2009 in Game 5 to Nils of the NLDS, 2010 to Ken in the NLCS in six games, after starting out 0-3, and then losing because of a Casey Kotchman homer, then loading the bases and nada (yes, I remember), and then 2011, starting out 0-3 to JB before forcing a Game 7 and having the tying run on third in the ninth, before Derek f'ing Jeter robs David Murphy.

Anyway, I decided I needed to hit more. Out went Tim Lincecum, Dan Haren, Yu Darvish, and in came Zack Greinke, Jose Reyes, Matt Kemp and Allen Craig. Oh yeah, and Mike Trout.

Along the way in 2012, I picked up my 1,000th career win as a GM, when I defeated Shawn 12-4 on August 15. The 115 wins this year brought my career record up to 1,035-705 (.594), with hopefully win #1,100 to come in 2013.

Zalaski gave me a bit of a scare in the NLDS, especially after he took me down 15-3 in Game 1, with Greinke on the mound. Wainwright and Craig carried me to a 3-2 NLDS win, and onto the NLCS to face Jag.

The NLCS was fairly close, but once I went up 3-1, I knew it was curtains for the D'Backs. Each of those first four games could have gone either way, but once the series went back to Pittsburgh, the Bucs bats broke out big time, and I captured my second straight pennant with a 9-1 win over Jag.

My decision to retool and pick up bats really paid off in the World Series, as the Pirates hit .294/.360/.508, with nine homers and 40 runs in the five-game series win over the Rangers. It helped that Molina had the book on Darvish.

Each of the following players pick up rings for their role on the 2012 Pirates:

Rick Ankiel
Jason Bourgeois
Andrew Brown
Marlon Byrd
Miguel Cairo
Allen Craig
Ian Desmond
Daniel Dorn
Stephen Drew
Robbie Grossman
Matt Holliday
Aubrey Huff
A.J. Jimenez
Matt Kemp
Erik Komatsu
Pete Kozma
Marc Krauss
Bryan LaHair
Evan Longoria
Hideki Matsui
David Murphy
Derek Norris
Manny Ramirez
Jose Reyes
Edinson Rincon
Shane Robinson
Gaby Sanchez
Kelly Shoppach
Yangeris Solarte
Jim Thome
Mike Trout
Omar Vizquel
Eric Young Jr.
Ben Zobrist
Mike Zuanich

Juan Abreu
Daniel Bard
Blake Beavan
Sean Burnett
Tim Byrdak
Edwar Cabrera
Fausto Carmona
Todd Coffey
Juan Cruz
Yu Darvish
Mike DiFelice
Charlie Fick
Frank Francisco
Luke Gregerson
Zack Greinke
Cole Hamels
George Kontos
Jensen Lewis
Tim Lincecum
Lance Lynn
Sean Marshall
Evan Meek
Jason Motte
Joe Nathan
Marc Rzepczynski
Ervin Santana
Adam Wainwright
Jake Westbrook
Randy Wolf
Travis Wood

2012 Pirates MVP: Ben Zobrist. Zobrist hit a solid .290/.376/.453, with a team-high 190 hits and 94 RBI, while belting 20 homers and scoring 123 times. Zobrist also stole 22 bases, and played all over the place for me when I was battling injuries.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Zorbist was a PITA against me...

Return to “Redbird Roost”