Best of 2007

John Anderson's blog

Moderator: Mets

Mets
Name: John Anderson

Best of 2007

Post by Mets »

I know it's a little late, but in the spirit of awards season...here's my picks:
Personal Preference, of course.

Best New Album: Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Best New Movie: American Gangster (by default, I don't get out much)
Worst Movie: License to wed
Best Concert: John Butler Trio w/ Hackensaw Boys
Best original TV show: The Office
Best Late Night show: Jay Leno
Best animated series: The Boondocks (Adult Swim)
Best show that got cancelled: The Black Donnellys
Best Live Sporting event: Watching John Smoltz almost no-hit the Nats from Ted Turner's box
Life Altering Event: Buying my first house
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Boondocks is great, lookin forward to getting the 2nd season on DVD soon. The uncensored version is the way to go. Good pick there. The office too - though for this year I have to say "welcome to the captain" is pretty good so far.

Leno though? C'mon. Letterman wins by default. Craig Ferguson 2nd. Jimmy K 3rd. Conan 4th. Leno barely beats out Carson Daily for 5th.

Best show that got cancelled: 6 degrees. Scott Campbell was solid. Black Donnellys was pretty solid too, but I can see why it got nixed.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Mets

Post by Mets »

Leno wins for Headlines alone. My favorite regular late night segment of all time...

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Best New Album: Exile on Mainstream - MB20
Best New Movie: Bourne Ultimatum
Worst Movie: Mr. Woodcock
Best Concert: Matchbox Twenty and Alanis Morissette
Best original TV show: Lost
Best Late Night show: Jon Stewart
Best animated series: Family Guy
Best show that got cancelled: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
Best Live Sporting event: Watching the Fins actually win a game
Life Altering Event: bought a new car
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Rockies wrote:Leno wins for Headlines alone. My favorite regular late night segment of all time...
Over stupid human or pet tricks? Nah.. headlines is good.. but its not the best.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Ugh, Studio 60... really? I about threw up everytime i watched that show. The wife loved it.
Mets

Post by Mets »

I watched the first segment of the first episode of Studio 60...and couldn't make it any longer...it was like drinking NyQuil without the buzz.

Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I didn't watch Studio 60, but I loved Bradley Whitford in West Wing. Hate Matthew Perry though.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Best New Album: Graduation- Kanye West
Best New Movie: Michael Clayton
Worst Movie: Hostel 2
Best Concert: I only saw one this year so by default the Police
Best original TV show: I didn't really watch any new shows this year, only watch 24 and that's not "new"
Best Live Sporting event: Being in Foxboro for SNF Eagles/Pats.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Best New Album: Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace - Foo Fighters
Best New Movie: I Am Legend
Best original TV show: Lost
Best New TV show: Chuck
Best Late Night show: Conan
Best animated series: Family Guy
Best Live Sporting event: Watching the Celt's a few days before my surgery
Life Altering Event: Tearing my ACL
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Best New Album: Relentless---Jason Aldean
Best New Movie: 3:10 to Yuma (I realize it was a remake)
Worst Movie: We Own the Night
Best original TV show: The Office
Best New TV show: Rules of Engagement, who ever figured Patrick Warburton and David Spade could carry and show and make it watchable
Best Show Cancelled: Just for Gabe I'll say Studio 60
Best Late Night show: Colbert Report
Best animated series: King of the Hill over South Park by a nose
Best Live Sporting event: Going to Louisville Bats game with Gabe and figuring out what scrubs were former members of our IBC teams. The other team had a guy that won a ring with Gabe.
Best Live Sporting event I almost went to but didn't end up buying tickets for: UK-Tennessee multiple OT football game
Life Altering Event: it was a boring year for me, so I'd say nothing was life altering
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Cardinals wrote: Best Live Sporting event: Going to Louisville Bats game with Gabe and figuring out what scrubs were former members of our IBC teams. The other team had a guy that won a ring with Gabe.
shit I forgot about that. that was fun. john hattig! backup 3B for the 2006 ibc champs!

and john ford griffin was there. I think everybody in the IBC has had him on their roster at one point.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

And John Ford Griffin was white. Don't forget that because we were quite suprised
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

JFG was on the good ol' IBC Reds when this league was in his infancy at one point or another..
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

OK - I'll weight in on a few 2007 topics:

New Album: "Deliver Us" by Darkest Hour
Concert: Killswitch Engage with Dragonforce/Chimaira/He is Legend. Not fair to the other concerts since KSE is my fave and Hanson or New Kids On the Block or some other shit band could have been on the bill and I'd still go with KSE.
Original TV show: Still love the original CSI
Late Night Show: Letterman will always rule, but I have to mention Conan since Triumph the Insult Comic Dog is BY FAR the best late night character of all time.
Animated show: Family Guy. And #2 isn't even close. At all.
Cancelled show: The War at Home
Live Sporting Event: My softball team. Summer league: In the loser's bracket after losing 20-2 (along with the insult to injury of me taking a bad hop SQUARE in the nuts and another one to the gut which knocked the wind out of me) we win a few games and have to beat the team that crushed us and then beat the the undefeated team twice. In game 1 of the finals we are down by 7 after the bottom of the 6th (7-inning games), then score 8 in the top of the 7th, hold the others scoreless to win. Game 2 the same thing happens exactly, we're down by 7 to the undefeated team after the bottom of the 6th, score 8 in the top of the 7th and hold them scoreless to again win. And then the final game we crushed them 20-5. Good times!
Life altering event: It would have been falling in love, but my gal has broken up with me since the end of the 2007 year. So I gotta go with the incredible changes at work and the unbelievable opportunities our business has which were unimaginable 12 months ago.

And I'd like to add a new category:
Hottest new chick of 2007: Gotta be Summer Glau, right?
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

Indians wrote:And I'd like to add a new category:
Technically she's not "new" but most people probably didn't get a chance to see her in "Firefly" (a great series Fox canned after 1 season a few years back) or the follow-up movie it spawned called "Serenity". I'd recommend both, especially if you're a fan of Joss Weadon's work.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

WhiteSox wrote:
Technically she's not "new" but most people probably didn't get a chance to see her in "Firefly" (a great series Fox canned after 1 season a few years back) or the follow-up movie it spawned called "Serenity". I'd recommend both, especially if you're a fan of Joss Weadon's work.
Yup, i ddidn't expect to like the series but it was pretty good. Basically a Western in space.
To be fair, Glau played a babbling nutcase (quite well) who was far from sexy for the vast majority of the series and movie, so her being "new" makes sense. Morena Baccarin was supposed to be the eye-candy with Jewel Staite the cute, sweet and wholesome one.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

Alright, I'll concede that in that respect she could be defined as new.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

WhiteSox wrote:
Not a huge sci/fi fan but loved both the series and movie. Friend of mine made me sit down and watch it a few years ago while we were passing the bong around... good shit. The movie is solid as hell too.

Return to “All The Queen's Men”