Cardinals draft reviews 2002-2006

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Cardinals draft reviews 2002-2006

Post by Astros »

Nick's posts got me thinking and while I've reviewed a lot of old drafts, and will update them soon, I realized I never did these drafts in my blog. So without further adieu

Round 1 Pick 16: Cole Hamels
Round 2 Pick 16: Jason Pridie
Round 3 Pick 16: Aaron Coonrod
Round 4 Pick 16: Jake Blalock
Round 5 Pick 16: Brad Thompson

In 2002 I think all my scouting was done off the MLB draft tracker blurbs about guys. Obviously the prize here was Hamels, who I thought may never turn into anything because he got hurt all the time in the minors. I ended up trading him shortly after he debuted in the majors for Oswalt I believe, who led me to my only title and was then dealt for Wainwright.

Jason Pridie destroyed Rookie Ball after being drafted but never turned into anything more than a AAA shuttle guy, playing parts of 5 seasons in the minors. Seems to have finally given up after 2015.

Coonrod never got out of A ball and never put up good numbers, looking at them now I have no idea why I'd have ever drafted him.

Jake was the younger brother of Hank, who was one of the best 3b in baseball in 2002. I was betting on bloodlines, but Jake never made it above AA.

Brad Thompson I specifically remember I drafted because he went to Dixie State, and I was becoming a big Civil War buff at the time, but I had no idea that school was in Utah. Threw 57 2/3 scoreless innings in AA, traded him to Andrew for Mark DeRosa and got him back before the 2007 season where he pitched out of the pen for the title team. Now works for FS Midwest.

Overall pretty good, one front line starter and one contributer

Round 1 Pick 15: Nick Markakis
Round 2 Pick 6: Tony Gwynn Jr.
Round 2 Pick 15: Adam Jones
Round 3 Pick 15: Danny Core
Round 5 Pick 15: Stuart Pomeranz

I remember the guy I wanted so bad was Michael Aubrey, but Gabe took him 2 picks before my first pick. Drafted Markakis, who was the co WS MVP for me in 2007 and got me back to the series in 2008 and performed way better for me than he ever did in real life.

Gwynn has never developed into a full time big leaguer, but drafting Tony Gwynn's kid was something I had to do. He did play on the 2007 team and was traded for Yusmerio Petit, who was somehow my best pitcher in 2008.

I'd love to brag about Adam Jones but I can't. I wanted Tony Giaratanno, the SS from Tulane, and he went a couple picks before so I took Jones, who was a HS SS. He struggled in A ball in 2004 and I cut him. That's the only bad season in the minors he ever had, which is why I give every guy I draft 2 years now no matter what unless they completely shit the bed.

Core had a big slider but bad control and never made it out of A ball. I was hoping I could snag a late inning reliever with him.

Pomeranz was a Cards pick and my rule used to be use a 5th on a Cardinal. He pitched 6 total innings in the majors.

Round 1 Pick 22: Reid Brignac
Round 2 Pick 22: Adam Lind
Round 3 Pick 18: Garrett Mock
Round 3 Pick 22: Scott Lewis
Round 4 Pick 22: Danny Hill

Brignac was a big time prospect for a while, but he never developed into anything. I traded him for a lefty reliever named Jake Woods, then he had a huge year in High A and become a top 50 prospect but never developed into anything.

Lind was compared to Todd Helton coming into the draft. He's had some great years and some terrible years, but I moved him for Jeremy Sowers in 2007 and won the title.

I hoped Mock would turn into an innings eater a la Jeff Suppan but he never developed into anything. Had a couple cups of coffee and was out of baseball after 2013.

Lewis had injury troubles that derailed his career. Had a nice cup of coffee in 2008 for Cleveland but that was it.

Hill lasted 3 years in the minors.

Round 1 Pick 20: Beau Jones
Round 1 Pick 27: Matt Garza
Round 2 Pick 27: Chase Headley
Round 3 Pick 27: Michael Brantley
Round 4 Pick 27: David Hernandez

Drafted Beau Jones because his name was Beauregard and the Braves were great at developing pitchers. Topped out in AAA.

Garza had a nice, long career but I dealt him early before he did much. Can't recall who for.

Headley was great for me. Helped me get to a World Series and I still think if he didn't play in SD to start his career he'd have been a regular All Star.

Brantley was a guy I was super excited about. Thought he'd be a high OBP leadoff man cause that's what he did in the minors. Never imagined he'd develop power. Dealt him long before he turned into anything.

Hernandez has had a nice career as a reliever. Didn't ever contribute for me.

Round 1 Pick 17: Brett Anderson
Round 2 Pick 17: Manny Burriss
Round 3 Pick 17: Cory Rasmus
Round 4 Pick 17: Alex Cobb

Anderson was always hurt. Burriss never became anything more than a AAA emergency infielder. Rasmus has only recently proven to be valuable as a big leaguer. Cobb I cut in 2009 to sign a pinch runner for September, thinking I could pick him back up after the season. Stupid as the Adam Jones decision

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”