2015 trade review

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

2015 trade review

Post by Astros »

With all the deals I made this week I figured I'd look back at what I did last year. Going into 2015 I thought I had an outside chance at contending for the first time since 2009 and was ready to see where my years in the wilderness took me. Turns out I was off by a year. As you can see, much like this year the trades I made in season weren't big moves because I wouldn't sacrifice the future for a shot at the wild card.

Tigers trades Tucker Barnhart, to Cardinals for Justin Turner,

YOU DONE MESSED UP A-A-RON! So Pat asked me about Turner, who I'd signed the previous may and brought up Barnhart. Now, I had had JACOB Turner since 2011 and had completely slipped my mind I also had Justin, so the whole time we were negotiating I was thinking "Man, Pat wants to give me a potential young starting catcher for shitty old Jacob Turner?" He kept insisting he could give me more than just Tucker but I told him that was plenty. He sent over the deal, I accepted it, only to then see it was JUSTIN I had just traded. Pat, to his credit, offered to send him back to me and undo the deal but I'm a man of my word and wasn't going to do that just because I fucked up and was stupid. Thinking back on it, a similar thing happened years ago when I had both Livan and Carlos Hernandez but we had to type out trades and email them in and I caught the mistake. This not happening would've ended the whole "Boy I need to trade for a 3b" quest I'd been on since 2009.

Athletics trades Alex Rodriguez, to Cardinals for Jacob Turner,

Since I already thought I'd traded Jacob Turner, I was more than happy to get rid of him now because I was mad at him for having such a similar name to Justin Turner. Lucky for me, ARod had a really nice bounce back year and gave me a nice trade piece for later in the year. Jacob is a minor league free agent. The best piece I got in the Joey Votto trade that started my rebuild ended up being a great fluke 2016 sim from Zach Lee.

Royals trades Adam LaRoche, to Cardinals for Miguel Almonte, Michael 14-Chavis,

I was hanging around and had an outside chance at the WC so I figured it was time to go for it in a small way. Matt Adams wasn't hitting for me, so I dealt a couple of prospects who have since fizzled out for LaRoche before everyone knew he was too stupid to make his kid go to school.

Cardinals trades Taylor 11-Guerrieri, Cardinals Draft Pick 2, to Mets for Jose Reyes,

My long quest for a SS brought me to a guy I'd have loved to have had in 2005, not 2015. But Jose was still productive and a hell of a lot better of an option than Pete Kozma. Guerrieri was a guy I was a big fan of, but he didn't handle the jump to AA this year all that well so it looks like I traded him at the right time.

Cardinals trades Adam LaRoche, to Dodgers for Dodgers Draft Pick 3,

Took about a month to realize the WC wasn't going to happen so I moved LaRoche for what I could get. Spent the pick on Lucas Herbert, who couldn't even hit .200 in Low A for the Braves this year.

Giants trades Marcus 13-Greene, to Cardinals for Cory Rasmus,

Rasmus had a lot more value to a contending team and Greene had put up nice numbers in short season ball in 2014. Turns out he underwent TJ as a catcher, and well needless to say he sucks now and I think I cut him before the draft.

Cardinals trades Pete Kozma, Dale Thayer, to Pirates for Charlie 11-Tilson,

Seems like me and JP always did a "Here's some September spare parts for a prospect." This was the 2015 edition. We both have a soft spot for Pete and he's a nice roster expansion defensive replacement/pinch runner. I'd had Thayer forever and he was a useful reliever. Tilson will be my 4th outfielder this year and the poor guy was going to be the White Sox starting CF the rest of the year and tore his hammy in his first game with them.

Cardinals trades Jose Reyes, to Royals for Jean Segura, Angels Draft Pick 3,

So I realized having a shortstop that can play defense is important. Jose Reyes is not that guy. Jason was wanting an offensive upgrade so we did this. Reyes got arrested and ended up playing 3rd all year. Segura got moved to 2nd in Arizona but had a career year. The pick turned into Drew Finley.

Cardinals trades Jonathan Lucroy, Trevor Rosenthal, to Yankees for Kurt Suzuki, Samuel Tuivailala, Stephen Piscotty, Yankees Draft Pick 2,

When Lance Lynn went out for the 2016 season with TJ, I figured I was going to win 65 games so I decided to look at 2017. Lucory was great but he never simmed well for me & bad teams don't need a closer. Suzuki replaced Lucroy and was primarily my backup catcher because of his poor arm. Piscotty gave me my RF of the future I'd needed since the death of Oscar Taveras and Sam gave me a potential future closer and saved 27 games for me this year. Lucroy had a great year and Rosey fell apart again. The pick turned into Beau Burrows who turned into Hector Santiago

Cardinals trades Mark Lowe, Jesse Chavez, to Nationals for Rob Refsnyder, Leonardo 13-Molina,

Bad teams don't need pitching depth I thought, then I spent April and May with 11 active pitchers because everyone else was hurt. Lowe was a scrap heap signing during the season and I was a big Jesse Chavez fan. But getting a prospect and a guy who at the time looked like the Yankees 2b of the future for an old reliever and a swingman was something I couldn't pass up. Lowe went back to sucking, Chavez is back in STL, Molina became Luke Gregerson and Refys brought over Neil Walker.

Phillies trades Miguel Almonte, to Cardinals for Pat Neshek, Cardinals Draft Pick 4,

I thought Almonte would be in the Royals rotation in 2016 at some point. He had an ERA near 6 and a 1.75 WHIP this year. Neshek would've been far more useful.

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”