2012 draft review

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

2012 draft review

Post by Astros »

Your tax dollars at work folks! End of the year, testing schedule and having seniors that have zoned out, I have nothing to do at work until finals start.

After having 5 first round picks in 2011, which I ended up screwing up horribly, 2012 was a chance to add something to my rebuild.

Round 1 Pick 6: Kevin Gausman: Finally being given a chance to start the whole season by the Orioles and proving to be a solid rotation piece. Was traded away for Mookie Betts a couple of years ago in a deal where my main target was Hunter Harvey.

Round 2 Pick 6: Victor Roache: Still only 24 (I figured he was 26 by now) and in the Southern League. Roache has power but strikes out way too much and doesn't hit for average. He may end up on a bench somewhere for a few years as a 4th outfielder with pop but that's best case scenario. I cut him long ago.

Round 3 Pick 6: Mitch Brown: Currently getting rocked in A ball. Walks way too many guys and gives up about a hit an inning, to the tune of a career WHIP of almost 1.50. Was a throw in when I moved Colby Lewis to Boston and got Kevin Pillar.

Round 3 Pick 20: Kevin Plawecki: Once a top prospect, now the Mets light hitting backup catcher. I thought I might have found another Lucroy when I drafted him and he hit at every level of the minors but is about a .220 MLB hitter. Traded him and Lucas Sims to Z for Vince Velasquez and Josh Bell

Round 4 Pick 6: Chase DeJong: One of those polished high school kids without great stuff. Cut him during a roster crunch and picked him back up last year. Threw a 2 hit shutout last night and currently striking out a batter an inning at AA. Hoping maybe he can become a middle of the rotation guy but I've had enough of these guys in the past flame out in AAA to be very cautiously optimistic

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”