2014 trade review

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

2014 trade review

Post by Astros »

I'm up due to cold medicine keep me awake so I figured I'd do this to try and put me to sleep. I entered 2014 with hopes of challenging for the 2nd Wild Card but that quickly faded and I geared up for trying for that for 2015 and was in contention until the last week of the season

Nationals trades Vincent 10-Velasquez, Josh 11-Bell, to Cardinals for Kevin 12-Plawecki, Lucas 12-Sims

I still had a pretty deep farm system at this time and wanted to improve some areas that I was weak. I drafted Velasquez but cut him when he had TJ and went into rebuild mode and didn't have room for him. When healthy he has always put up great numbers and did well in 50 innings for Houston this year. Bell provided a power bat for me for the future which is something that I lacked. Lucas Sims had a great 2013 in Low A but has struggled at the higher levels and Plawecki struggled in the majors so far, though he hit at every level in the minors. Right now I like how this deal turned out for me and am very high on Vince (if I had moved to Houston I was going to attend every start of his I could).

Cardinals trades Hak-Ju Lee, Kevin Gausman, to Giants for Mookie Betts, Hunter 13-Harvey,

Nils came to me with this offer, and as is usually the case, wanted someone back he had traded to be originally. Lee is a great defensive SS but never recovered from a torn ACL he suffered in 2013 and still hasn't. Gausman has shown flashes of what he can become, maybe if the O's ever give him a year in the rotation he'll be able to get that. I came out ahead on this deal thanks to Mookie, who at the time was a 2b. Now he's one of the most dynamic young outfielders in baseball with a very bright future. Harvey missed all season with elbow issues, which worries me for the future but at worst I got my long term CF out of it, at best I got that and a potential front line SP down the road. Get well Hunter.

Cardinals trades A.J. Burnett, Carlos Quentin, to RedSox for Jesse Chavez, Jose 10-Peraza, Miguel 10-Almonte, Rowan 12-Wick,

This is where I started selling off my pieces to contenders and I got a decent haul here. AJ was talking about retiring and Quentin never has stayed healthy. Chavez is a solid middle of the rotation guy who will be in mine next year. At the time Peraza was a highly touted prospect and is still only 21. May be a starter, may be a super utility guy, who knows at this point? Almonte has since been traded but has reached the majors and may be in the Royals rotation next year. Wick was a Cardinal with power in SS ball, but it turns out he can't hit. Was worth a gamble

Royals trades James Ramsey, Royals Draft Pick 2, Royals Draft Pick 3, to Cardinals for Matt Holliday, Chris Johnson, Cardinals Draft Pick 4,

Ramsey was a top 10 Cards prospect and potential CF of the future at this point in time and draft picks are nice. Johnson turned into Chris Johnson after his career year in 2013. Holliday is Holliday, but old and wasn't doing me any good.

Cardinals trades Rowan 12-Wick, Royals Draft Pick 3, to Athletics for Jason Vargas,

Mid rotation lefty for a pick and a project, I'll always do that deal. Vargas did well for me until he had TJ this year

Cardinals trades Blake Swihart, James Ramsey, Andrwe 0-Faulkner, to Royals for Matt Cain,

I wanted an established #2 to tag team with Lynn for 2015 and decided to move Swihart when his value was at an all time high. Cain hardly pitched at all this year and is probably TJ bound. Jason wanted Ramsey back and well, he isn't much of anything. Faulkner may be a back of the rotation guy or may be a lefty pen arm and Swihart held his own in MLB this year. I'd like a do over here.

Nationals trades Josh Johnson, Chris Young, to Cardinals for Tim Collins,

Z traded me Collins long ago and always wanted him back but he was a fun guy to follow and watch pitch. I needed rotation depth for 2015. Shockingly Josh Johnson got hurt and never pitched, but Young had a really good year in KC and is penciled in to my rotation for 2016

Cardinals trades Josh 11-Bell, to Giants for Aaron 10-Sanchez,

Bell had been moved to first and so I had soured on him. Still a very good prospect but I don't think the home run power is going to develop for him and with him at first now I wanted to move him. I had hopes Sanchez would be a high end rotation guy, maybe he will be still, but right now he looks like a stud in the back of the pen for a long time to come. Either way I got a good pitcher in the deal so I'm happy

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”