How didn't this guy pan out?

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

How didn't this guy pan out?

Post by Astros »

Figure maybe this will get discussion going. What prospect, either from your IBC or favorite team's past, are you still in shock didn't pan out?
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Being the last person off the train this summer, I have to start this conversation with Brandon Wood. I know he played in some favorable offensive environments, but that one puzzled me.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

A look into the future: Tyler Skaggs and Juan "Snapneck" Nicasio

Ok,ok, I'll be serious for a minute. Andrew Miller. It's still fairly early on him, but huge, fireballing lefty seemed like a no-miss. You have to look at the development issues. First, he was rushed by Detroit, then flipped to Florida, who didn't do him any favors, either. But I thought he was going to be a Randy Johnson-like stud.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Lou Marson. I wasnt too upset when we traded him cause Lee was coming to town. But I thought he'd be a great defender and a .280/.380 type hitter with 10HR and plenty of doubles.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Nick Noonan. I thought he'd end up being Chase Utley-lite at some point, or at least a plus offensive 2B with passable defense. Didn't happen.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

I can speak to Miller. As a Tiger fan I lived through that pain. The story out of Detroit was that the major league stitches were less pronounced than the college stitches on the baseball and he couldn't grip the ball the same. I don't know about that, but I do know he never through a quality slider in the big leagues and his college slider was the best I have ever seen.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Pretty much everyone from Stanford since Mike Mussina. I grew up going to Stanford games and believed in all of those guys (my first IBC trade was giving up the 6th pick in the 2005 draft, which turned out to be Troy Tulowitzki IIRC, in order to get a late first rounder so I could take John Mayberry, also got Jeremy Accardo but the key to me was Mayberry. Yikes). I've since learned about the Stanford swing and what happens when you have a pitcher go out and throw 120 pitches on 2 days rest and now it makes sense...
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Rays
Name: Matt Kratky

Post by Rays »

Great topic.

I thought Scott Elbert was going to be lights out and then he had the shoulder issues.

Loved Radhames Liz and I think Nate Hunter somehow stole him off waivers from me.

Probably have to throw Chris Nelson's name out there at this point, since he's pretty famous (or infamous) in the league.

Anyway, looking forward to reading these as many guys have been following prospects for much longer than me.
Astros

Post by Astros »

There's not a Cardinals prospect that really jumps out, but then again the Cardinals haven't really had a top of the line prospect I can recall since JD Drew and Ankiel (and I won't lump Ankiel in here)

Tony Giarratano, as me and Ben discussed earlier. He wasn't going to be a world beater or anything, but I was 100% certain he'd be an average to above average shortstop for a long time. Good D, hit for average, had some pop in his bat, did well at every level.

I guess my biggest disappointment was Stud Stable member Josh Barfield. When I dealt for him, he was being compared to Jeff Kent. But that clearly didn't happen, and my future #4 hitter was traded away for Tom Gordon in 2007
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

I saw John Mayberry hit a 450 ft. bomb in a single A game. He also struck out three times and made a throwing error.

The most impressive thing that I ever saw in a minor league game was a throw from Felix Pie. I saw Pie throw a ball on a line from the warning track in center over the catcher's head. I was sure he was going to be a star, of course one of the reason's I thought that was his similarity to Alphonso Soriano...hmmmmmm.

I also took in about 5 Joel Zumaya single A starts. Man! Talk about some helpless 18 year olds.
Astros

Post by Astros »

I forgot all about Felix Pie, I had him on my roster for a long, long time. I finally gave up on him around 2006. He was the player that made me swear off Latin American hitting prospects
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Mayberry ended 2011 hitting .301/.370/.593 with 9 HR in 42 games. Be ready.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

I have always been a sucker for the tall rocket thrower too.

Andy Sisco was a personal favorite.

I really wanted Colt Griffen to succeed.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

The 1998 Tigers:

In 1997 the Tigers had:

25 year old 1B Tony Clark who hit .276/.376/.500 with 32 HR

27 year old 2B Damion Easley who hit .264/.362/.471 with 22 HR

26 year old OF Bobby Higginson who hit .299/.379/.520 with 27 HR

29 year old DH Bob Hamelin who hit .270/.366/.487

28 year old 3B Travis Fryman who hit .274/.326/.440

---------------------

24 year old ACE Justin Thompson 15-11, 3.02 ERA, 223 IP, 152 ERA+

29 year old CL Todd Jones 3.09 ERA

---------------------

21 year old CF Juan Encarnacion .323/.394/.560, 26 HR (AA)

21 year old CF Gabe Kapler .295/.361/.505 (A+), he would also hit .322/.393/.583 in 98 at (AA)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Greg Miller.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Chris Snelling - never could stay healthy after he blew that knee out rounding third.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

JD Drew - Mr too good for Philadelphia. Suck it.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

I don't think JD Drew counts as a bust. He played 14 years, hit .278/.384/.489 for his career, with a career 125 OPS+. He only made one all star game, but he was a pretty good player. Not the next Mickey Mantle, but I don't think he qualifies as not panning out.

Except for the Phillies.

edit - misread what Aaron said. But there are people out there who really hate JD Drew (besides Phillies fans), and I don't understand why.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

JD Drew never should've left Atlanta. The one year he was there was the only time he ever looked like he enjoyed playing baseball. But I'm eventually he'd have gotten a hangnail that put him on the DL there too
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

I would say Mark Prior, but when it comes to pitchers, injuries, loss of velocity and such, I'm more suprised by the ones who actually make it and have a good career.

Not that I was suprised he didn't make it, as we knew of 'his ways' as a Minor Leaguer, but the one that just makes me sick for having a multi-million talent, but the brain of an idiot is Elijah Dukes.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Travis Lee and Omar Daal. That trade still hurts.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

It would pain me every time I watched a Twins/Tigers game to see Jason Kubel and Ryan Raburn on the field at the same time. Kubel was such an amazing prospect before Raburn kneecapped him in an AFL game. Even though it would have made MIN way better, I always felt bad for him.

Kubel in 2004: .352/.414/.590 in AA/AAA

He was also known as a pretty mobile OF at the time. He has carved out a decent career for himself, but with the mobility he may have signed a 100 M contract one day.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Donald Veal
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Also a ton of top 100 prospects I had over the years.

Chuck lofgren
Trevor Crowe
Billy Rowell.

Also everyone involved in the Santana trade
Mulvey
Guerra
Humber
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Humber is ready for the spotlight.

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”