2011 draft review

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

2011 draft review

Post by Astros »

Round 1 Pick 7: Bubba Starling

This was part of the Votto deal. Basically I never dreamed Bubba would fall to me, he is who I targeted from the get go. I tried to trade up the last 3 days of the year to get a pick ahead of 7 so I could get Bubba and then get Archie Bradley at 7. Both were available, but I have a lot of pitching depth in my system so I rolled the dice with Bubba and hope I get a huge payoff.

Background: As a high school senior, Starling accounted for 3,167 yards and 39 touchdowns as a quarterback and averaged 28 points per game in basketball. He could have been Nebraska's quarterback of the future, but the Royals signed him for a franchise-record $7.5 million bonus after selecting him fifth overall in the 2011 draft.

Scouting Report: In an organization that covets premium athletes, Starling is the best of the bunch. He has excellent strength and bat speed and shows plus-plus power in batting practice. While he's not nearly as polished as Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas were when the Royals drafted them near the top of the first round out of high school, Starling has shortened his swing enough over the last year that scouts believe he'lll hit for average as well. He's a well above-average runner, making him a basestealing threat and giving him plus range in center field. Clocked at 95 mph on the mound, he has a stronger arm than most center fielders. He was cited for underage drinking during instructional league, but the Royals say his makeup isn't a problem.

The Future: Starling has a huge ceiling but will require more development time than Hosmer or Moustakas. Starling could make his pro debut at low Class A Kane County, or he could begin 2012 in extended spring training.

Round 1 Pick 14: Taylor Jungmann

2. Taylor Jungmann, RHP Born: Dec 18, 1989 B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-5 Wt.: 175
Drafted: Texas, 2011 (1st round). Signed by: Jeremy Booth.

I debated long and hard between Jungmann and Jed Bradley. Since there was one spot in between my next 2 picks, I went with Jungmann since he has a slightly higher ceiling and pitches that grade out as more than average. Andrew saw him pitch in person last year and was impressed and he should move fast

Background: Jungmann was a star almost from the day he arrived at Texas, winning 11 games and pitching a complete-game five-hitter against Louisiana State in the College World Series finals as a freshman. He ranked second in NCAA Division I in wins (13) and opponent average (.165) last spring before going 12th overall in the draft and signing for $2,525,000—the second-largest bonus in club history.

Scouting Report: Jungman uses his lanky frame to throw downhill easily, working primarily with a fastball that sits at 90-94 mph and tops out at 96. He can get lefthanders and righthanders out with the combination of velocity and life on his heater. He has improved the sharpness and command of his slider, and he continues to work on a changeup that's a tick below average. Some scouts worry that his delivery features a short stride and some effort, but he has smoothed it out some since high school and it doesn't hamper his ability to throw strikes.

The Future: Jungmann waited until the final minutes before the Aug. 15 signing deadline to come to terms and has yet to make his debut. He got his indoctrination into pro ball during instructional league and likely will start 2012 at high Class A Brevard County. A potential No. 2 starter, he could move quickly through the minors.

Round 1 Pick 16: CJ Cron

I dealt 2 2nd rounders, the first pick of round 3 and Joe Smith to get this pick. Jed Bradley of course went off the board the pick before this one and Kolten Wong, who I had always planned on taking in the middle of the first, went off the board before my 2nd pick. I only have 1 1st base prospect in the system, Cron is a college hitter that should move fast. He doesn't have a position and is now blocked by Pujols, but he'll get a handful of starts a year at first to get a rating if he makes it. The power is real, hopefully the stats will stay good when he moves up to a similar age level.

Background: Cron hit .434 at Utah and led NCAA Division I with an .803 slugging percentage in 2011 while contending with a torn labrum in his right shoulder. The 17th overall pick in June, he signed quickly for $1.467 million and mashed at Rookie-level Orem before dislocating his right kneecap during a swing. Offseason surgery mended his knee but he avoided shoulder surgery through rehabilitation. Cron's father Chris served as the Tigers' Double-A manager in 2011, while his brother Kevin went in the third round to the Mariners.

Scouting Report: Cron's plus-plus power could translate to 30 homers at his peak. His bat stays on the same plane as the ball, which prevents him from swinging uphill and compromising power for the sake of loft. He uses the whole field and makes adjustments well enough to hit .280 in the big leagues. Pioneer League managers weren't sold on his ability to handle hard stuff inside, though he was considerably dinged up when they saw him. A catcher at Utah prior to his shoulder trouble, Cron projects as an adequate first baseman with an average arm. He's a bottom-of-the-scale runner.

The Future: Cron's thick, bulky physique turns off some scouts, but nobody will complain as long as he realizes his massive power potential. He could finish the 2012 season in Double-A if he hits the ground running in high Class A.

Round 1 Pick 18: Taylor Guerrieri

This pick was part of the Jair Jurrjens deal that also netted me Christian Yelich. I hadn't scouted Guerrieri at all prior to my selection, he wasn't even on my list of potential draftees. But he caught my eye as I scanned the first round one final time before picking, just like Jordan Lyles did a couple of years ago. He has an ace ceiling, I trust the Rays with pitchers, hopefully he's their next Matt Moore

Background: Guerrieri had one of the best arms in the 2011 draft, yet the Rays were able to nab him with the 24th overall pick. He slid somewhat because of questions regarding his makeup that arose after he switched high schools for his senior year. Tampa Bay believed the situation was overblown and signed him for $1.6 million at the Aug. 15 deadline.

Scouting Report: Guerrieri has matured physically in the last year, allowing him to repeat his mechanics more consistently and adding 6-7 mph to his fastball. With a clean arm action and a high three-quarters arm slot, he delivers easy gas. His fastball sits at 93-96 mph with good life and has been clocked up to 98. It sinks and runs when he throws to the right side of the plate and features heavy sink when he works the left side. Guerrieri's 11-to-5 curveball, which he throws with his middle finger tucked under his index finger, is also a power pitch in the low 80s. He also throws a cutter and changeup that show promise despite being rarely used in high school. Improving his overall command is his main priority.

The Future: Guerrieri has the potential to become a frontline starter, and the Rays have an impressive track record of developing young pitchers. He'll probably open 2012 in extended spring training and make his pro debut at Rookie-level Princeton in June.

Round 1 Pick 26: Blake Swihart

This pick came to me in a deal for Chris Perez and Grady Sizemore from Jag at the deadline. I debated on Swihart with pick 18 and was thrilled he fell to me here. I had no catchers in the minors, he's a switch hitter and everything I've read says the bat will play elsewhere if he can't stick. Hopefully he will

Background: Swihart starred with the U.S. national 18-and-under team in 2010, batting .448/.492/.845. The Red Sox drafted him 26th overall last June, making him their highest-drafted catcher since No. 14 pick John Marzano in 1984. Swihart signed at the Aug. 15 deadline for $2.5 million, a franchise record for a position player.

Scouting Report: Swihart has uncommon offensive potential and athleticism for a catcher. A switch-hitter, he handles the bat better from his natural right side and has more pull power as a lefty. In instructional league, he doubled off the wall batting lefthanded against a rehabbing Clay Buchholz. Swihart projects as at least a plus hitter with a chance for average or better power. He has quick feet and moves well behind the plate, showing promising blocking and receiving skills despite catching for little more than a year. He also has plus arm strength and has made strides streamlining his release. He has average speed but will lose a step as he matures.

The Future: He has a long way to go, but Swihart has the Buster Posey starter kit. There's no reason to think Swihart can't catch, but if Boston wants to expedite his bat, he's athletic enough to play on the infield and outfield corners. After seeing time in the Florida and Dominican instructional leagues, he could jump to low Class A in his first full pro season.

Round 3 Pick 19: Madison Boer

I'll be 100% honest, I know nothing about the kid except he had a phenomenal k:bb ratio after signing. Reminded me of Craig Kimbrel, who I passed on in a similar situation. I've heard anything from a back of the rotation innings eater to a closer for Boer. Sounds like Lance Lynn to me, hopefully 2011 moved to the pen Lynn and not Memphis innings eater Lynn
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Yeah I screwed this one up. My rebuild still went well but I missed on guys here that could've really set me up good.

Bubba- All along I'd targeted Archie Bradley with this pick. I never thought Bubba would fall to me. In the last couple days before the draft I realized he would and I tried like hell to move up into the top 5 to get both but couldn't pull it off. When they were both there I took Bubba. He's a long way off, but I think he finally started putting it together at the end of the year. He was shipped off in a deal for Matt Holliday as I make a run at the Wild Card this year. Should've went with my gut and took Archie, but his name is Bubba!

In the middle picks I had 3 targets initially when I thought I'd take Archie: Kolton Wong, George Springer and Jose Fernandez. When I took Bubba that eliminated the need for taking another CF, so I took Springer off the board. Wong went far earlier than I thought, which eliminated the possibility of getting him at 12. A lot of reports I read on Fernandez said he was out of shape and would probably wind up in the pen, so that scared me off. I wish I had a Delorian I could get up to 88 MPH and go back.

Jungmann-Drafting a guy so far away in Bubba, I wanted a guy that would move fast with this next pick. Jungmann profiled as a middle of the rotation horse that would eat innings and had above average pitches. Andrew had him in class at Texas, saw him pitch and gave me the green light. It was him or Jed Bradley. Turns out they both suck. I released Jungmann late this season as he struggled mightily. He can't miss bats and walks way too many guys.

Cron- Once the draft fell the way it did, I decided to grab another quick moving college bat that I could put at first. I had Matt Adams but didn't know what he would be at that point, so I figured I needed to grab a right handed compliment for him. Cron seemed like the classic polished hitter with power. He struggled this year though, as his power dropped off considerably and he doesn't walk hardly at all. He doesn't strike out either, but when your OBP is reliant solely on your batting average, that is a dangerous game. Ended up dealing him to Cleveland for Daniel Nava, who turned into Chris Johnson, who ZIPS screwed.

Guerrieri- Hadn't scouted him at all. I decided I wanted a high upside guy here after going with 2 safe picks. Trusted the Rays scouts and rolled the dice on my gut. Had great success in the minors until elbow problems and TJ. Still a believer, just have to wait and see now.

Swihart- A guy I had targeted with #18 that I let go and hoped would drop. Turns out he did. Switch hitter, catcher, solid all around hitter. I'm excited about him and hope he keeps developing, though it will be hard rooting for a guy in Boston once he reaches the majors. Good pick.

Boer- He sucked, he was cut, the end

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”