2010 trade review

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

2010 trade review

Post by Astros »

2011's almost gone, I'm fighting off a cold and waiting for the draft so figured I'd do one of these since I'm in for the night.

Cardinals trades Peter Moylan, to Twins for Freddy Sanchez

Ain't much to say here. Sanchez did okay for me until he got hurt, I eventually released him this year. Moylan's a decent reliever.

Cubs trades Garrett Atkins, Brad Penny, to Cardinals for Scott Olsen, Chase Headley

Whoops. I had a hard on for Penny because he was a Cardinal and I figured Duncan was going to fix him and he'd finally reach his potential. Then he hurt himself hitting a grand slam a couple weeks later and missed the rest of the year. He was awful in 2011 and I cut him at the end of the year and nobody's picked him up yet. I never thought Headley would be good as long as he was in Petco. He put up a nice year this year and if he ever makes it out of that park he'll be a really nice 3rd baseman. Sure would like a do over.

Phillies trades Phillies Draft Pick 1, to Cardinals for Ryan Raburn

Raburn had a hell of a year in the sim and helped Nick to the playoffs and really could've been the NL MVP (321/.374/.586, 35 HR, 139 RBI, 112 runs, 16 SB). I took Luis Heredia with the pick, who is a long way from the majors. I meant to take Carlos Martinez and forgot all about him leading up to the draft and didn't write him down on my chart.

Pirates trades Shane Victorino, Johermyn 0-Chavez, Chris Jakubauskas, Braves Draft Pick 2, to Cardinals for Willie Bloomquist, Brad Hawpe, Yadier Molina, Joe Mather

JP had wanted Yadi for a long long time. Bloomquist and Hawpe were useless once the season was done and Mather was another guy that was only useful for 2010 and needed to be on a contender. Victorino had a short stay with me. Chavez was dealt for Ryan Spilborghs and had a terrible 2011. Jaku was moved later in the year. The draft pick was Mike Foltynewicz, who had a nice pro debut but struggled mightily in Low A in 2011. Basicaly Yadi for Victorino.

Pirates trades Russ Springer, to Cardinals for Mike Koplove

I had had Koplove since 2002 and loved the guy, but knew this would be his last useful ZIPS projection and didn't have the heart to cut him at the end of the year. I dealt him to JP so he could be a mopup man in September and get a ring. Springer was already out for the year when I dealt for him. This was strictly a sentimentality deal

Cardinals trades Chris Jakubauskas, to Twins for Angels Draft Pick 3

I took the first offer I got for Jaku on deadline day. I'd have been happy with a 5th, I got a 3rd, which I used on Kellen Sweeney, who I wound up releasing when I started stockpiling prospects during my fire sale.

Reds trades Sean Marshall, Colby Lewis, to Cardinals for Scott Downs, Shane Victorino

Marshall was a younger, better Downs. Lewis is a very good SP and had a great 2011 for me.

Phillies trades Josh Willingham, Chad Durbin, to Cardinals for Mitchell Boggs, Jonny Venters

Durbin was a toss in and is insignificant. Willingham filled a big hole I had in left field. Boggs was being talked about entering 2011 as a possible closer of the future, but is now a middle reliever, albeit a nice one to have. Venters is nasty, though I worry Freddy Gonzalez is going to destroy his arm as much as he uses him. I was going all in for 2011 and still had Marshall so I was trading from strength.

Cardinals trades Brendan Ryan, Jhoulys Chacin, Freddie Freeman, Lonnie Chisenhall, Jordan 8-Lyles, Matthew 9-Hobgood, to Phillies for Joe Blanton, Tim Hudson, Andres Torres, Joey Votto

The most controversial deal of last offseason not involving a new guy. I emptied the farm to do this deal. Chacin's a hell of a young pitcher. Ryan's a great glove that sometimes hits. Chisenhall was a top 50 prospect, as was Lyles who made it to AAA as a 19 year old. Freeman was coming off a .900 OPS in AAA at 20 and was runner up for ROY this year. Hobgood was a Top 5 draft pick, but it appears injuries have killed his career. Votto is one of the best players in baseball. Hudson's good but he's ancient. Blanton's a slightly below average SP with arm issues. Torres was coming off a career year but it was a fluke. All of these guys except Blanton were dealt in the firesale
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Hobgood is not done yet sir.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Maybe not but looking at his stats from this past year I wouldn't be expecting much
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Good god, I was ripped off for Jaku. Though I was down to 3 SP at that point and only a couple games out of a playoff spot, so I was a bit desperate...good on you (even if you squandered the pick)

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”