Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

2009 Trade Review

Post by Astros »

Did this last year and well, I'm bored so I'll do it again

Cubs trade Zach Miner to Cardinals for Reed Johnson

I traded Miner to Gabe back in 2007 for Jay Gibbons when I was plugging in anyone with a pulse and Gibbons was out for the year after 3 games with me, so I wanted Miner back. Reed played an important role on 2 World Series teams for me, but Miner wound up starting 22 games for me, winning 11 and having an ERA under 4. No complaints.

Braves trade Brett Wallace to Cardinals for Brett Anderson

I had a hard on for Wallace because he was a Cards prospect. I thought I had a glut of pitching at the time, and had 2 young lefties in Cecil and Lannan in the rotation. Anderson was struggling. Wallace was plugged in at 3rd right after the deal, struggled and didn't come back til September. Anderson blossomed. Wallace has been dealt twice and is now a first baseman. Wish I had this one back.

Cardinals trade Randall Delgado to Brewers for Aaron Heilman

At this point I decided to make another run at the Wild Card and wanted to improve the pen. Delgado is a ways off and if he turns out to be a stud I'll kick myself, but Heilman was really good for me. Cut him at the end of the year but he did what I wanted him to do.

Rockies trades Grady Sizemore, Jarrod Washburn, Jhoulys Chacin, Mike Moustakas to Cardinals for Cliff Lee and Josh Hamilton

Grady had a down year due to injury, but Grady at his best is better than Hamilton at his best, plus Hamilton no longer plays center and is back to his injury prone self. I'm a big fan of Cliff Lee (yes JP I know you hate him), but Washburn had a good year and was very good for me after coming over. Chacin could be a pretty good starter and will be the #5 for the Cards in 2010. Moustakas is a former top pick, I was never high on him but he had name value and a pedigree so I figured I could swing him for something else. Glad I did it.

Athletics trades Ryan Raburn, Daniel 8-Espinosa to Cardinals for Vernon Wells, Brock 7-Huntzinger

I should mention at the time of this trade and the previous one I had thrown in the towel on the year. Wells was having his typical shitty year following a nice one, despite playing good for me I wanted to get something in return while he had some value. Huntzinger was a guy I was going to cut when I had a roster crunch so I didn't care about losing him. Raburn is versatile and had a fine offensive season for the Tigers and should see the field plenty for me this year. Espinosa may be the SS of the future for the Cards, something we have traded and drafted for at least a dozen times since the IBC started. Maybe he can be average. I'll take it if he is.

Cardinals trades Matt Capps, Michael Brantley, John Lannan, Brett Cecil, Steven 8-Upchurch to Royals for Jair Jurrjens, Josh Willingham, Tim 7-Collins, Royals Draft Pick 1

Seems like me and Z do a big deal every year. Capps was one of the reasons I didn't make the playoffs, having an ERA over 6 as closer for me until I farmed him out, and he was just as bad in real life. I was a big fan of Brantley and think he will be a very good major leaguer. Lannan and Cecil were just beginning to hit their rough stretch in the bigs at this time and both had started to stink in the IBC. Upchurch would've been cut at seasons end. Jurrjens is a guy I've been after for a long time and pairing him and Wainwright up to fight with JP is essential for any future success of the team. Willingham's a butcher in the field but he was having a career year and he was taking Burrell's spot, and let's face it Pat ain't exactly mid 90s Barry Bonds in left. Tim Collins has put up gaudy numbers in the minors and I'm hoping he can be a dominant LOOGY. I love draft picks. Great deal for me

Pirates trades Lyle Overbay, Francisco Cervelli, to Cardinals for Pat Burrell

I have a habit of bringing old faces back. I wanted to help JP come October and Burrell kills lefties, he was struggling for me and was sucking in real life. Overbay was very good off the bench and is primed to be my top bench bat this year. Cervelli is looking to carve out a nice career in the Bronx as a backup catcher and is just the kind of guy I was looking for to replace Mike Redmond. Good deal for both of us.

Cardinals trades Todd Wellemeyer, to Royals for Peter Moylan

I love the Colonel, his uncle was my driver's ed teacher, but he was about as successful this year as I was. Getting anything useful for him was fine by me, and Moylan shuts down righties so I jumped at the chance. This is like counting the loose change on your desk and finding out you have enough money to see a movie or something. It was useless, but now it's doing some good.

Cardinals trades Cardinals Draft Pick 1, to Braves for Seth Smith

Brandon was in tank mode and Seth Smith was playing well. I needed a right fielder bad because Willie Bloomquist and Brendan Ryan were starting there. Smith came over and did a fine job as my leadoff hitter and is set to start in left this year. Z's 1st rounder wound up being 1 spot behind mine so I didn't lose anything. I really like this deal for me

Cardinals trades Rafael Furcal, Mike Redmond, to Tigers for Casey McGehee

Furcal had a down year and Redmond is nearing the end of the line, so I needed to get value for them while I could. McGehee was having a fine rookie year for the Brewers and is set to start at 2nd for me this year. Furcal helped BP win a title. Poor Mike Redmond missed out on his 3rd IBC ring because BP cut him before he could play. Shame BP, shame! No regrets here.

Cardinals trades Josh Willingham, to Cubs for Brad Hawpe, Cubs Draft Pick 3

I don't know why Gabe traded me a better hitter and a draft pick for a worse hitter but I accepted this deal in about .00012 seconds.

Pirates trades Maicer Izturis, Julio 8-Rodriguez, to Cardinals for Mike Moustakas, Brett Wallace

With Wallace being my 4th best 1st baseman and not liking Moustakas at all, this wasn't hard for me to do since it allows me to slide Brendan Ryan to a utility role/late inning defense guy. Rodriguez is a good guy to roll the dice on and hope he turns out to be good. Of course JP turned around and put Wallace in a deal for Halladay, jackass
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Re: 2009 Trade Review

Post by Giants »

[quote="Cardinals"]
Athletics trades Ryan Raburn, Daniel 8-Espinosa to Cardinals for Vernon Wells, Brock 7-Huntzinger

I should mention at the time of this trade and the previous one I had thrown in the towel on the year. Wells was having his typical shitty year following a nice one, despite playing good for me I wanted to get something in return while he had some value. Huntzinger was a guy I was going to cut when I had a roster crunch so I didn't care about losing him. Raburn is versatile and had a fine offensive season for the Tigers and should see the field plenty for me this year. Espinosa may be the SS of the future for the Cards, something we have traded and drafted for at least a dozen times since the IBC started. Maybe he can be average. I'll take it if he is.
/quote]

For what it's worth I was really hating choosing Crawford over Espinosa during the AFL. Crawford is still good, but Espinosa has an absolute cannon and more pop then I thought. Enjoy him.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Cardinals wrote: Cardinals trades Josh Willingham, to Cubs for Brad Hawpe, Cubs Draft Pick 3

I don't know why Gabe traded me a better hitter and a draft pick for a worse hitter but I accepted this deal in about .00012 seconds.
I do this a lot. If I feel like a player is about to severely drop in value, I'll take a slight downgrade for him. Also, ZiPS is ridiculous. ANY lefthanded hitter sucks against LHP. So Hawpe was killing me there. Plus his MLB stats after the All-Star Break are brutal and it got to the point where from September on he wasn't even starting most games. So, at first glance it seems like an idiot move, but I have a feeling a year from now I'll be fine with this deal. That was my thinking anyway.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

I can't edit that last post, but I typed that wrong. It wasn't from September on that he wasn't starting, it was the playoffs where he was being benched games and replaced early and stuff like that.
Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Post by Braves »

Cardinals wrote: Braves trade Brett Wallace to Cardinals for Brett Anderson

I had a hard on for Wallace because he was a Cards prospect. I thought I had a glut of pitching at the time, and had 2 young lefties in Cecil and Lannan in the rotation. Anderson was struggling. Wallace was plugged in at 3rd right after the deal, struggled and didn't come back til September. Anderson blossomed. Wallace has been dealt twice and is now a first baseman. Wish I had this one back.
Sounds to me like we should make a couple more deals for you to drink away the sorrow.

Hit me up I could use Grady!
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Cardinals wrote:

Cardinals trade Randall Delgado to Brewers for Aaron Heilman

Rockies trades Grady Sizemore, Jarrod Washburn, Jhoulys Chacin, Mike Moustakas to Cardinals for Cliff Lee and Josh Hamilton

Cardinals trades Matt Capps, Michael Brantley, John Lannan, Brett Cecil, Steven 8-Upchurch to Royals for Jair Jurrjens, Josh Willingham, Tim 7-Collins, Royals Draft Pick 1

Cardinals trades Cardinals Draft Pick 1, to Braves for Seth Smith

Cardinals trades Rafael Furcal, Mike Redmond, to Tigers for Casey McGehee
Looking back on these deals, these are the ones that stand out. This is why you don't mortgage the future for a playoff push, dealing a future top 100 prospect for a middle reliever that you cut after the year.

The Grady deal hasn't worked out well for me because Grady's been hurt ever since I made the deal. Also, Washburn retired after the year was over so I didn't get my veteran to plug in the back of the rotation for 2010 to wait on my prospects either.

The Raburn deal was a steal, Espinosa's more than likely my cleanup man next year and I was able to swing Raburn for a 1st last year. Seth Smith's been one of my better players since I got him. The McGehee deal is very frustrating, he sucks this year, and the two good years he had didn't seem to matter to Dan because he gave him terrible projections following those years, so I've gotten zero usefulness out of him. Thanks for Jurrjens Z

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”