2007 draft review

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

2007 draft review

Post by Astros »

With Dan's idea for a draft review, I figured I would review mine from last year as well. After winning the World Series and getting 4 top prospects from BP that this year in deals turned into Cliff Lee, Matt Capps, Todd Wellemeyer, Billly Butler and John Lannan. Going into the draft, my strategy was to draft fast movers in the first couple rounds, and then later in the draft take high risk/high reward high schoolers.

Round 1 Pick 30: Brett Cecil SP

One thing I was looking for in this draft was a lefty that would move fast and I could put in my pen. Cecil was a closer at Maryland and everything I read said he could be one in the majors or at the very least, a lefty setup man. He dominated the NY-Penn League after being drafted. This year he made it all the way to AAA as a starter. On the year in 118 innings he had a 2.88 ERA, struck out 129 and held opponents to a .229 average and is the best pitching prospect in the Jays system.

Round 2 Pick 60: Jonathan LuCroy C

I had had Mike Redmond starting at catcher for me for 4 years and figured Molina would take over last year. With Redmond being almost 40, I needed to find a guy that could eventually take his place. LuCroy hit .342 in the Pioneer League after being drafted but was old for the league. This year, between the South Atlantic and Florida State Leagues, he hit .301/.377/.495 with 20 homers, less than 100 strikeouts and 9 steals. While he's not the best defender, he should at least be an offensive minded backup catcher that will probably learn to handle another position or two, and may become the Brewers catcher of the future.

Round 3 Pick 90: Andrew Cumberland SS

A prevailing theme throughout my IBC career, I took a guy I hoped would be my shortstop of the future. A lot of people said Cumberland wouldn't stick at short, and BA said he'd be the Pads CF in 5 years. He hit .320 in 100 abs after being drafted so I took a chance. He hit .286 in the Midwest League, but with no power to speak of, only having a .350 slugging. He was hurt for most of the summer. Cumberland was dealt for D'Angelo Jimenez as I was looking for a shortstop to fill in for Furcal and trying to make the playoffs. While Jimenez wound up being a bench player for me, he did help me make the playoffs and I have no regrets about the deal.

Round 4 Pick 120: Freddie Freeman 1b

Here's where I'm hoping I hit the jackpot. Carlos Guillen was my first baseman going into the season and I knew I should get someone in the pipeline that could eventually replace him hopefully. Freeman was the youngest player in the draft and struggled in the GCL in 07. He did have raw power though and I figured this late, he was someone to take a chance on. He proceeded to tear up the South Atlantic League, becoming along with Jason Heyward, the best thing to come outta Rome, GA since Arn Anderson. He hit .316/.378/.521 with 18 homers and 95 RBI. Freeman should move up to Myrtle Beach and hit behind Heyward again. Freeman just turned 19 in September, so the Braves have no need to rush him. Hopefully he'll succeed in the Carolina League and see AA before the year is out.

Round 5 Pick 150 Deryk Hooker SP

This was my "might as well take a Cardinal" pick. Hooker did well in Johnson City and had a nice, short run in the Midwest League, where he'll start this season. It's too early to really say anything about Hooker, and the Cardinals employ an 8 man rotation in Low A to keep the innings low, so it remains to be seen how good he is

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”