The Great Midwest Hurricane of 2008

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

The Great Midwest Hurricane of 2008

Post by Astros »

So, here is what it is like to experience a hurricane in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky folks. I know you've missed me the past week.

Me and my cousin left Ohio State last Sunday around 1 to drive home. We got on the interstate and drove through continual 50-60 mph winds. Stalks of corn just flew past us all the way through Ohio. I felt like I was in the movie Twister, I kept looking for a cow to fly across the road. We were about out of gas and every exit we got off of had no electricity. We finally got to an exit outside of Cincy where King's Island is and got gas there because the National Guard was out. We got home and it looked like a tornado had hit. My mom told me that power went out at 11:40am Sunday. We got it back on at 8 tonight.

Now being without power didn't really bother me all that much for the most part. Its the little things you miss. Not having TV and internet didn't really bother me. Not being able to get a cold drink when you're thirsty is what I missed the most. During the day I helped people that needed help cleaning up. All day Monday I cleaned up our yard, I helped my buddy Tuesday, Wednesday I still had class despite everyone not having electricity but that's another story. Thursday I helped my buddy's grandpa clean up, and today we cut down trees. At night I got out an old transistor radio and would find a ballgame to listen to. I picked up Reds, Indians, Yankees, Braves barely, Tigers, White Sox and Cubs games, as well as Monday Night Football so I had entertainment. At night I'd go to a different friend's house and get a shower, a cold drink and maybe watch a little tv.

Yesterday I called the power company to get an estimate on when we'd have power back. In Utica we had probably 5 trees down across power lines. Everyone in town cleared the roads and chopped the trees up, the power company didn't do any of that. When I called, I was informed that I already had power. I then informed the power company that they could get up off their ass and get shit fixed so I didn't have to sit in the dark anymore. They didn't like that, but we got power back today.

I really think everyone should have to go 2 or 3 days at some point without power just so they can see how nice they really have it and what they take for granted. I wouldn't wish a week on anyone, not even Bren. Luckily this happened in September when the weather had already cooled and it wasn't super hot or super cold.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Being without power for any long period of time just...well, it blows. Especially in Florida. I think it might just be physically impossible to survive here in August without A/C. Hopefully, we're done with the hurricanes for the year, but you just never know.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

The longest I was ever without power was 18 hours, the worst part of it is that the grid is split right around my street, so across the street they had power hours before we did.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Wimps. HTFU

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”