Cardinals Offseason in Review

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Cardinals Offseason in Review

Post by Astros »

Following winning the 2007 IBC title, the Cardinals went through a rebuilding phase. If you can call 3 trades rebuilding, then that's what was done. A review of the offseason.

Shortly after the Series, the Cards bid farewell to longtime Cardinal Mark DeRosa and closer Jason Isringhausen, sending them BP's way for Gorkys Hernandez, Max Ramirez, Geraldo Parra and Carlos Carrasco. This took care of the whole rebuilding part of the offseason, dealing away 2 vets that were a big part of the title run for 4 very good prospects. Carrasco is very good, I really like Gorkys, Parra is a good prospect and Max Ramirez is highly underrated IMO.

Next was sending Tony Gwynn Jr. to the Pirates for Yusemero Petit. I have a million spare OF. I like Tony Jr. but didn't need him. End of story.

I never figured I'd deal Lackey. He's a guy that I was planning on rebuilding around. Then I started hearing about his arm troubles and got worried. Nils came at me with an offer that filled my hole at SS, gave me a good young SP that's proven when he's not crazy he's a very good pitcher, and a nice young reliever. Doing it keeps me in contention for this year.

My lineup for 2008 looks like this:

CF: Freel/Reed Johnson platoon
SS: Furcal
RF: Markakis
LF: Burrell
1b: Guillen
3b: Rolen or Headley depending on projections
C: Yadi Molina
2b: Aaron Miles/whoever I plug in there on a given day

I might even bat the pitcher 8th sometimes. Look out NL Central, the Cardinals aren't taking the year off, we're going for a repeat

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”