John Rocker

Aaron Dorman's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

John Rocker

Post by Astros »

With John Rocker's comments about Bud Selig yesterday, it got me to thinking. Everyone just dismissed Rocker's comments right off the bat. I am coming to his defense. I'm not saying that John Rocker is a great guy or anything like that. He said some things he shouldn't have said, particulalry: It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark, looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

He said this eight years ago and he is still skewered in the media any time his name comes up. Should he have said it? No. But he did and he didn't break any law. Everyone loves free speech until someone uses free speech. Meanwhile, Jamal Lewis has been in prison for cocaine trafficing and that never gets brought up. Leonard Little HAS KILLED somebody drunk driving and gotten a DUI after that fatal crash. Never gets mentioned, he isn't blasted in the media. He should be in jail. He's making millions in the NFL. But in the PC society we live in today, it is more important to attack John Rocker constantly because he said something racist 7 years ago than to attack people that have pushed cocaine or killed people while driving drunk. And I know some people are going to say "Oh big suprise, Aaron's defending a racist." Its not that, I'm defending free speech and pointing out how wrong we have our priorities today
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

I live in Atlanta, and I have to hear that joker on the radio all the time...

I think the biggest problem with him is that his attitude stinks.

Anyway, I heard him on the radio this morning....his reasoning for offering the information at this point:

1. He's trying to get someone to publish his book
2. He wanted to make the info public because he felt the media would figure it out sooner or later, and he didn't want any members of the media taking credit for the information. Therefore he wanted to break the story before a media person could...

Anyway, personal preference aside, Rocker is still ignorant to this day....if you can find a radio clip or recent interview of him, it's obvious he's got his mind made up about certain things and is unwilling to listen to reason...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if he's ever given credibility again.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Rocker is defenitely an ignorant fool. I'm all for free speech Aaron. I personally, really don't care what you say. I don't take offense to much. But, if you're going to talk to the media and say such things, be prepared to suffer the consequences of what you have said.

I'm not saying its wrong or right to keep persecuting someone based on what he said.. but I have to believe if Rocker was a more "stand up guy" and his attitude didn't suck, as John pointed out.. well, he wouldn't still be getting shit for his words.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

I agree with Aaron's main point that rocker is basically crucified for saying something that he shouldn't have said, but in reality he hurt nobody. If somebody actually had their feelings hurt by this idiot, then they are an idiot themselves.

That said, Lewis actually hurt peoples lives and Little killed somebody and ruined somebody's family. That's way worse.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Quick jump in here - both Leonard Little and John Rocker disgust me as a human being - Little much more so.

But you're making a horrific overstatement here - Leonard Little is still getting paid because he's still a very good football player. John Rocker is out of baseball because he started sucking at baseball. That's the bottom line and difference - Rocker got a ton of shots after the fact, even getting bombed in a Semi-Pro stint.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Agreed with Z. Rocker fell completely apart, maybe that was because of the criticism he got for his comments but if you're gonna shoot your mouth off, you should be prepared for people to shoot back. Bottom line, he sucked, good riddance.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

RedSox wrote:Agreed with Z. Rocker fell completely apart, maybe that was because of the criticism he got for his comments but if you're gonna shoot your mouth off, you should be prepared for people to shoot back. Bottom line, he sucked, good riddance.
Ha, we agree on sometihng :)

I actually forgot this idiot even existed until his name surfaced the other day with these accusations.

The allmighty dollah'
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

to add, rocker's comments now mean very little, because he has little to no credibility. not just because of the stupid things he said years ago, but because of the stupid things he says every time he opens his mouth. even breaking this story he had to show off what an idiot he is by telling selig to kill himself. you can say crazy shit like that around here because in the end everyone knows you don't mean it and we're all relatively harmless. but on national radio? not so much.

and I think the point about free speech is being a little skewed. I don't know anyone who is upset about him excersing his right to free speech. rocker opened his mouth and offended people, and he was therefore booed and criticized by the people he offended. simple as that. speak free all you want, but be prepared to face the consequences when you say offensive things.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Couldn't it also be that Rocker fell apart because he actually wasn't a very good pitcher and all of his success was steroid enhanced, but he couldn't keep up to his body?
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Athletics wrote:Couldn't it also be that Rocker fell apart because he actually wasn't a very good pitcher and all of his success was steroid enhanced, but he couldn't keep up to his body?
Yup. Or he was a decent pitcher and steroid abuse caused it to break down prematurely. it happens.

Return to “You can put it on the board, YES!”