We really enjoy AA ball ...

Jim Berger's blog - a White Sox fan living in Red Sox nation

Moderator: Padres

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

We really enjoy AA ball ...

Post by Padres »

The Portland Sea Dogs run a class organization. My family and occasionally guests enjoy the short 45 to 50 drive to watch good talent play at a very price. This year they are hosting the Eastern League All Star game in mid-July and we already bought our tickets.

Recent article reflects nicely on the caliber of players that have played for the Sea Dogs: 32 Sea Dogs Make MLB Opening Day Rosters in 2015

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... 6&sid=t546

Probably should be titled 32 Former Sea Dogs ...
Rays
Name: Matt Kratky

Post by Rays »

You're right on Jim. Going to see the Sea Dogs at Hadlock field is great.

What other eastern ball park has such excellent micro brews on tap? Some nice breweries in the area too.

I'll never forget going to the 2005 Eastern League All star game up there.

Hanley Ramirez, Jon Lester, Jonathan Papelbon, Dustin Pedroia, Anibal Sanchez, Manny Delcarmen...tons of talent that year.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Rays wrote:Hanley Ramirez, Jon Lester, Jonathan Papelbon, Dustin Pedroia, Anibal Sanchez, Manny Delcarmen...tons of talent that year.
One of these is not like the others...
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Rays wrote:You're right on Jim. Going to see the Sea Dogs at Hadlock field is great.

What other eastern ball park has such excellent micro brews on tap? Some nice breweries in the area too.

I'll never forget going to the 2005 Eastern League All star game up there.

Hanley Ramirez, Jon Lester, Jonathan Papelbon, Dustin Pedroia, Anibal Sanchez, Manny Delcarmen...tons of talent that year.
Though Delcarmen did have some useful years as an IBC sim piece of I recall correctly.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

We could tell if Shawn would ever put up the stats for past seasons on the player pages...oh wait... :(
Rays

Post by Rays »

Don't delay! Manny is now pitching for the Nats and still available to sign.

If only Merkin Valdez and Joel Zumaya could be had too.
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

I agree with Jim here. I live in Richmond, on the other end of the Eastern League. I go to a dozen or so games a year and always see outstanding prospects who go on to the majors within a couple of years. And it's like $15 to sit right next to the dugout...

It's also a good place to get some signed baseballs, if you're in to that. In the last couple of years, I've gotten Francisco Lindor, Brandon Nimmo, AJ Cole, Danny Santana, and a few other guys like that. I'm actually going tomorrow vs. New Britain to try to get David Dahl. When they're still at this level, most of those guys are still happy to sign.

Anyway, minor league games are always great -- and the Eastern League is such a fun league with good prospects to see.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Looking forward to the Hartford Yard Goats and whatever Rockies prospects pass through. Much more convenient than going out to New Britain.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Indians wrote:I agree with Jim here. I live in Richmond, on the other end of the Eastern League. I go to a dozen or so games a year and always see outstanding prospects who go on to the majors within a couple of years. And it's like $15 to sit right next to the dugout...

It's also a good place to get some signed baseballs, if you're in to that. In the last couple of years, I've gotten Francisco Lindor, Brandon Nimmo, AJ Cole, Danny Santana, and a few other guys like that. I'm actually going tomorrow vs. New Britain to try to get David Dahl. When they're still at this level, most of those guys are still happy to sign.

Anyway, minor league games are always great -- and the Eastern League is such a fun league with good prospects to see.
Perryman put something on Twitter the other day that the Binghamton Mets are moving to Wilmington, DE. While I'm not thrilled it's a Mets affiliate I am super excited to get Double A ball in Delaware (if it happens). Frawley Stadium is really starting to up their game by adding a Dogfish Head Fan Deck and Chickies and Petes.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Pirates wrote:Looking forward to the Hartford Yard Goats and whatever Rockies prospects pass through. Much more convenient than going out to New Britain.
Worst team name ever, by the way? I don't even get why people thought Yard Goats was a good idea.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Better than some of the other ideas they voted on.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

I can't believe they changed the name given how much money they poured into the Rock Cats brand when we were younger.
Rays

Post by Rays »

The Yards Goats—which Boston.com endorsed earlier this month—beat out other finalists: Blue Frogs, Choppers, Hedgehogs, Honey Badgers, Hound Dogs, Praying Mantis, River Hogs, Screech Owls, and Whirlybirds.
I wonder how close it was in the end?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connec ... story.html
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Dodgers wrote:I can't believe they changed the name given how much money they poured into the Rock Cats brand when we were younger.
Hey, hey, hey, hey-hey-hey-hey, hey! The New Britain Rock Cats are here to play!
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

Just saw this really good (and kind of sad) story about baseball in New Britain:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/new-britai ... n-no-more/
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

New Britain is a complete dump. It's only another 10-15 minutes from Hartford, but I'm much more likely to now go see a few games a year now that the Yard Goats are in Hartford as of next season. Couldn't tell you the last time I went to a Rock Cats game.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “Musings from Maine”