Jim Berger's blog - a White Sox fan living in Red Sox nation

Moderator: Padres

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

2015 Trades

Post by Padres »

White Sox receive Zach Duke; Orioles receive Rob Kaminsky

Last year I had one of the worst bullpens in the league so this trade directly address that. Duke really broke out last season by lowering his arm slot and finding a LOOGY-type job, throwing 58⅔ inning over 73 games with a 2.45 ERA, 2.14 FIP, and 2.09 xFIP

The big change -- he turned into a ground-ball pitcher. Last season, he increased his ground ball rate to 57.7%. He also greatly improved his strikeouts per nine innings in the LOOGY role, putting up an impressive 11.35 K/9 rate, a massive increase over his career rate (5.02) to that point.

While he still occasionally uses his whole arsenal, he's primarily a sinker and curveball pitcher, mixing in a slider as well. His sinker comes in at about 90 mph these days. He has a cutter as well, so he'll fit in well in the Sox bullpen.

He is really is more then a LOGGY though as Duke held righties to a .242/.288/.298 line: Against Duke in 2014

LHH=.569 OPS, 37/9 K/BB (105 PA)
RHH=.586 OPS, 37/7 K/BB (133 PA)

Here is a closer look at Duke success last season: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagra ... ller-lite/

Steve picked up a nice pitching prospect for the O's in Kaminsky. I am not sure whether he will end up as a mid rotation SP or LHRP but I am sure barring an injury he will end up in the majors. BA recently shared this about him:

J.J. Cooper: Kaminsky was a very divisive prospect around the league. Guys who liked him were impressed by his 89-92 mph fastball that touched 95 infrequently and loved his breaking ball. Guys who liked him a lot less thought he couldn’t command the fastball, isn’t very physical and most likely will end up as a reliever. I got anywhere from No. 3 SP to LHRP assessments on him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... ects-chat/

Return to “Musings from Maine”