Post by Padres »

2013 White Sox -updated 5/22/2013

.C David Ross .241/.315/.414 - DL
1B Chris Carter .237/.325/.466
2B Gordon Beckham .250/.312/.387 - DL
3B Chase Headley * .268/.350/.428
SS Alexi Ramirez .269/.306/.389
LF Michael Brantley * .275/.333/.382
CF Leonys Martin * .270/.326/.415 BA 4, BA PCL 17/20 (TEX)
RF Justin Ruggiano .260/.318/.422
DH Carlos Quentin .259/.352/.479

SP Jake Peavy 4.01, 159.1 38/136
SP Lance Lynn 4.15, 149.2 56/135
SP John Danks * 4.50, 125.0 41/93 -DL
SP Tyler Cloyd 4.90, 154.1, 48/102
SP Edinson Volquez 4.08, 154.1, 85/145

LR/MU Josh Edgin* 4.62, 50.2, 28/48
LHSU Rex Brothers* 3.93 69.0 40/85
LHSU JP Howell* 4.03, 44.7 20/40
RHSU Luke Gregerson 3.14 65.0 20/64
RHSU James McDonald 4.12,150.7 63/130 - DL
CL Addison Reed 3.92 66.2 21/70

Bench:

.C Josh Phegley .241/.280/.357
1B/RF Corey Hart .265/.329/.485 - DL
SS/2B/3B Eduardo Esobar .243/.278/.320
3B/C/1B Jordan Pacheco .280/.324/.383
2B Johnny Giavotella .266/.316/.368
OF/1B John Mayberry .248/.303/.410

Additional Pitchers:

CL Brian Wilson 3.38 48.0 23/49 - unsigned
SP John Danks * 4.50, 125.0 41/93 -DL
SP Daniel Hudson 4.11, 118.7 28/95 - DL
RP Michael Belfiore* 4.25, 65.7 30/57 BP Factor on the Farm (BAL)

Top Prospects:

SP Wily Peralta 4.58 153.3 90/135 BA 1, BP 1 (MIL)
OF Oswaldo Arcia * - .254/.305/.419 BA EL 6/20, BA FSL 7/20, BP 4 (MINN)
SP A.J. Cole - BA 3, BA MIDWEST 10/20 (OAK)
2B/SS Carlos Sanchez # - .255/.310/.323 BA 3, BA CAROLINA 6/20, BP 3 (CWS)
SP Matt Magill 4.88, 131.0 70/102 BA 9, BP 6 (LAD)
SP Sean Gilmartin* BA 4, BP 6 5.20, 136.7 (ATL)
SP Erik Johnson - BA 4, BA CAROLINA 11/20, BP 4 (CWS)
3B Michael Almanzar (BOS)
1B Keon Barnum * - BA 8, BP 10 (CWS)
.C Max Stassi (HOU)
SP Scott Snodgress * - BA 6, BP 5 (CWS)
SP Alberto Tirado - BA GCL 12/20 (TOR)
SP Dillion Maples - BP 10 (CUBS)
2B Harold Castro * - BA GCL 18/20 (DET)
SP Eduardo Rodriguez * - BA 5, BP 4 (BALT)
SS/3B Rosell Herrera # - BA NWL 12/20 (COL)
RP Will Clinard (DET)
SP Michael Roth (LAA)
Last edited by Padres on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 61 times in total.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Acquire LHP Rex Brothers from the Tigers for Drew Storen

Pat has been interested in Storen for some time and he received a young quality potential CL. Storen was one of a couple RH closer-type pitchers I had (Reed, Gregerson and potentially Wilson) so I traded him to upgrade the LH side of my bullpen. They are nearly the same age as Brothers is 24 and Storen 25.

Rex Brothers should have a future in high-leverage situations, as he struck out 28.1% of batters faced in 2012. But while his 11 strikeouts per nine innings pitched shows he has the stuff to put batters away he also averaged 4.92 walks per nine innings, which isn't going to work if he intends to close so for 2013 he will be paired with JP Howell as the the LHSUs in the White Sox bull pen. The preliminary ZiPs for Brothers in 2013 are solid with a 85/40 K/BB in 69 IP and a 3.93 ERA.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Acquire RHP Brian Wilson and UT Jordan Pacheco from the Giants for Ricky Nolasco

Nils and I have been discussing Nolasco for a while ,,, he has been a steady innings eater for my team but never SIMed as well as I desired and I had the 29 year old RHP penciled in as my seventh SP for 2013 so I traded to replace the about to be traded Storen and bring some needed bench strength as well.

Wilson, who is 30, missed most of 2012 with an injury undergoing Tommy John surgery for the second time of his career. When healthy he is unquestionably one of the top closers in the game and all reports indicte that he is on target to report fully prepared to pitch in the spring of 2013. Who he pitches for is a question as the Giants appear ready to non-tender him but I believe he will sign a one incentive-ladden contract and be very motivated to earn that last big multi-year contract. A bit of a gamble perhaps but ZiPs likes him for 2013: 49/23 K/BB in 47 IP with a 3.38 ERA.

Pacheco, 26, is a converted Catcher who also played 3B and 1B although he was orginally drafted as a 2B. In 2012 he amassed 505 PA's and hit .309/.341/.421 but he lacks power and takes few walks ... his verslaity in combination with the White Sox need for a back-up Catcher make him a good fit for the squad in 2013. He does have an excellent contact rate and given his age should be a serviceable corner infield/back-up Catcher utility player for a few years. Zips preliminary projections for him are .280/.324/.383 for 2013.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Acquire RHP AJ Cole, RHP Neil Ramirez and 2012 pick 60 from the Pirates for 2012 pick 16 and 2012 pick 76.

JP was looking to acquire an additional 1st round pick and I am convinced that the player I wanted to draft would likely not be available by pick 16 so we held discussions that that, in the end, I feel adressed both teams needs.

I obviously lost some position in the 2012 draft trading completely out of the 1st and 3rd rounds but picked up a couple of solid SP prospects. I believe Cole has the upside of a 2/3 SP and a floor of becoming a reliable MR ... I view him as 1st round talent. Ramirez is likely a more back of the rotation type who could become a reliable MR but I have always liked him and he may end pitching some for me in 2013 if the IBC White Sox experience many injuries. I did pick up an additional 2nd round pick as I feel there is some very good talent available in the 2nd round this draft and wanted to have two 2nd round picks.

JP picked up an additional 1st round pick and traded back into the 3rd round after having traded his original 3rd round pick.

Morover the strength and depth of my current 'draft' roster provided me room to trade these picks and strength my SP pipeline. JP was able to trade these two SP prospects to improve his draft position.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Follow-up to Acquire RHP AJ Cole, RHP Neil Ramirez and 2012 pick 60 from the Pirates for 2012 pick 16 and 2012 pick 76.

JP ended up drafting 3B Joey Gallo with pick 16 and P Jose Mujica with pick 76. I selected the guy I hoped I would with pick 60: SP Chris Beck - after selecting 1B Keon Barnum with pick 46. Notes on both picks will be included in my 2012 draft summary.

I believe we both got what we wanted out the draft picks and out of this trade.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Acquire 1B/OF Chris Carter, SP James McDonald and SP Sean Gilmartin, from the Nationals for Michael Kirkman, Kyle McPherson, Eury Perez and Neil Ramirez.

Z was looking to pick up some eligible SIM players and I was looking to shore up a couple of season-starting DL situations so this rather minor very unsexy exchange took place.

Carter will start the season as the White Sox 1B while Hart is on the DL. Hopefully the real life change of scenery will work out for him and in a best case situation I will have a decent DH next season. Carter will never hit for a high average but he has decent OBP and is a good source of power - particularly at The Cell. McDonald will step into the fifth SP slot until Hudson can return and then will likely become the team's LR/MU guy in the pen - the spot McPherson had held. McDonald is only 28 and is at the point in his career where he becomes a more consistent steadier SP or he is simply a 1 year fill-in for me. I like Gilmartin though I recognize he is a finesse southpaw likely "3/4 starter" but he does appear to have the talent to be a solid mid-rotation SP and I need some lefties to balance out my right handed heavy rotation down the road. He is also a ground ball inducing pitcher which plays well in The Cell.

Of the players leaving I will miss Perez the most but I am confident that Leonys Martin will become a bonafide CF this year. Also with Michael Brantley, Mayberry and Ruggiano on the roster I have CF well represented already.

Bottom line is I felt I the need to try to shore up a couple of positions in order not to start the season totally stumbling out of the gate and carter is an upgrade over Griffin who would have been my 1B until Hart returned and - for this season at least - McDonald is an upgrade over McPherson.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Acquire SP Edinson Volquez from the DBacks for SS Roman 11-Quinn.

If this were fantasy baseball I would not make this trade - but it is not so I did. This trade provides me an "okay" 5th SP as I will be living this season off his past strikeout rate as opposed to his current (entering the season, Volquez averaged 8.6 strikeouts per nine innings for his career) and his 60% GB rate which should play well in the ALC parks and my generally good infield defense. He should be a more solid back of the rotation option then Magill and/or Gilmartin hace proven to be - but truth be told neither of them should be pitching in the IBC this season - though I continue to like their future.

This trade also allows me to shift McDonald to the bullpen when he returns and hopefully carry some of the RHRP load until Brian Wilson eventually signs and is eligble.

JT provided a list of players he was interested in and we reached a deal ... he got a good prospect whose primary tool is his blinding speed. When I drafted Quinn I did so looking at him as Ramirez eventual replacement at SS - now I made this trade because I hope and believe Ramirez will be around long enough for me to find another solid SS.

I have refered to the ALC as the "weak sister" division as none of the teams is dominant this year. By making this trade I hope to stay in the game a while longer while waiting for Hudson, Danks, McDonald, Hart, Wilson, Beckham and now Ross to return ... (I have already given up on Niemann and Rogers.)
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Geez, this has been a busy summer ... time to catch up on some trades ...

Acquire CF Juan Lagares and LF/DH Alfonso Soriano and Indians 2013 Draft pick #3 from the Indians for CF Leonys Martin and the White Sox 2013 Draft pick #2.

When I made this trade at the end of July I was still very much in the playoff hunt but starting to slide a bit. I was hoping that Soriano would provide some punch since it appeared that Hart was not returning. He is 37 and only an AV LF but he was having a decent year for the Cubs and had just been traded to the Yankees. In reality in the 31 games he has played for the Yankees this season, Soriano is already tied for the team lead for right-handed batters with 11 dingers. He's now gone deep 28 times this season, giving him a good shot at a second straight 30-homer campaign. I figure he should be good for this season and likely next as well but so far he has not simed well for at all going .153/.189/..398 - well below his real life .258/.294/.491 as well as his projected .249/.300/.470.

Lagares is a terrific defensive OF and will likely be rated as VG in all 3 OF slots next season. He has quietly put together a nice season as a 24 year old for the Mets batting .260/.298/.392 which is close to his projected .258/.294/.398. Because of his low OBP he will be a bottom of the order hitter and he is certainly not the stolen base threat that Martin is but he should be a fine 4th OF and defensive replacement for the next seasons.

I also moved back in the next draft a bit but it probably won't be more then 15 slots or so.

Giving up the 25 year old Martin was hard but was a gamble I felt was necessary to attempt to add some punch and try to stay in the WC chase ... at this point in time it appears to be a bad bet.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Acquired 3B/1B Brandon Drury, SS Dorssys Paulino, CF Tyler Naquin and SP/RP Justin Grimm from the Nationals for RF Oswaldo Arcia.

Strictly a trade for the future ... Drury was the player I wanted the most in this deal. He has been on fire in the Midwest League which is typically a pitcher's league hitting .305/.363/.507 - those numbers include 15 HRs and 50 doubles. Drury has matured this season. "I've always been able to hit for power. I've just never had this good of an approach before, to be able to commit to sitting on certain pitches," Drury said. "I'm more patient, and I'm sitting on pitches that I want to hit, not what the pitcher wants me to hit. It just takes time to learn and get that approach." Kevin Towers said of him, "Brandon has got the work ethic you look for. Sometimes he's the type of kid you have to slow down because he wants to take as many reps in the way of infield as well as hitting in the cage. From our scouting reports from within as well as scouts I've talked to from other clubs, they all have great things to say about him. It's nice to have a guy who can play both sides of the ball. He not only can play defense, but he's a good offensive player as well." Playing at Lo-A he is a few years away but I really like him a lot.

After an awful start, Paulino has been fairly consistent over the last three months. Because of his age, he still should be viewed quite favorably offensively and he has held his own as an 18-year-old in a full-season (Midwest League) league hitting .248/.300/.352. Defensively he has not had a solid season and there is speculation that he will moved to 2B or 3B next season. He was only hitting .199 on May 26th so he is trending in right direction. Really don't have a good feel for how he will end up but I am relying on scouting reports that indicate he has solid hitting tools that will develop. At worst I see becoming a dependable utility infielder.

Naquin was a solid RF in college and has been playing CF as a pro. He handled both the NYP League and hi-A Carolina Leagues well but has stumbled a bit on his initial introduction to AA which I expect he will repeat/start at next season.Baseball America reported' "Naquin's quick, handsy swing helps him stay inside the ball, use the opposite field and generate line drives. He has nice balance and a mature approach. He has good hand-eye coordination and has no issues handling breaking pitches ... He's a solid runner with a well above-average arm, though he needs to improve his routes." He has hit 10 HRs this season and is a .268/.344/.404 hitter so far in his short minor league career though his high strikeout rate (22%) is a concern.

Grimm's repertoire is fastball/curveball/changeup, with the fastball generally being in the low-90s, though it can touch 95-96 mph, and the curveball being a potential plus pitch. His changeup is a work in progress, although Jason Cole says it showed signs of being a plus pitch in 2012. Like a lot young pitchers, how that third pitch develops will likely determine where Grimm's future lies. If the changeup continues to improve, Grimm can be a major league starter. Otherwise, the fastball and curve alone would make him a viable relief prospect. Earlier this season in real life, he made 17 starts for the Rangers in the majors and he was not good going 7-7 with a 6.89 ERA. Up until this season, he's always shown good command in the minors, although his command this season has only been fair. That's probably because he's had a major problem with the long-ball down in Arlington and he may have the same problem pitching in the Cell though he 62 GB% should play well there. The walks this season may be a result of him being gun shy about challenging hitters after having given up so many home runs. (Fifteen in 89 innings.) I view him as a solid swing-man able to be a spot SP and a capable long RP.

Arcia will be a good OF but I felt with Brantley, Soriano, Mayberry, Quentin, Lagares and Hart returning I was well set up for next season and this trade allowed me to strengthen my prospect situation.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2013 Trade Notes:

Acquire 2B Taylor Lindsey from the Indians for SP Eduardo Rodriguez.

Lindsey is completing a successful season at AA hitting .276/.341/.446 and while his OPS of .787 isn't off the charts in offensively-challenged Little Rock it isn't a worse-case scenario either. He is a solid left-handed contact hitter with a rather unique swing keeping his hands lower and has developed a knack for spraying line drives, especially to right-center field. Every report I could read on him tauts his hand-eye coordination. I envision him as an offensive minded second baseman. If you want to compare him to current second basemen, he’s posted similar numbers to Aaron Hill and Kelly Johnson in the minor leagues, and has the same build as those two as well. So one could easily foresee a scenario where Lindsey emerges as a .275+ hitter with 30+ DB and 15+ HR’s at the major league level. To that end his power numbers have increased as he matures with 17 HRs and 24 doubles among his hits this season. He has been selected to play in the AFL.

The Indians got a good one in Rodriguez who has been steadily raiosing through the prospect ranks but I just like the offensive potential so much in Lindsey that I wanted to get this deal done.

Return to “Musings from Maine”